What is "solo Balcony"

CCJack

I am trying to book a cruise for 2 on the NCL website.  It is defaulting to a cabin that is a "solo balcony" .  My understanding is that means these are reserved for solo traveler pricing but you can still book 2 people in them.  Is this correct?   Anything else I am missing on this point?  There would be no drawbacks to this as compared to a normal "balcony" cabin for 2 people?

thanks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CCJack said:

I am trying to book a cruise for 2 on the NCL website.  It is defaulting to a cabin that is a "solo balcony" .  My understanding is that means these are reserved for solo traveler pricing but you can still book 2 people in them.  Is this correct?   Anything else I am missing on this point?  There would be no drawbacks to this as compared to a normal "balcony" cabin for 2 people?

thanks.

That doesn’t sound right.. you shouldn’t be seeing solo rates or cabins unless you specifically selected a single traveller by going into the filters.
also since when does NCL have solo balconies? 
the only scenario I could see where a balcony may be restricted to a single guest is if the part of the ship it is in doesn’t have sufficient lifeboat space for 2 guests due to to 3 or 4 guests in all the other cabins in the area

• Like 1

I just finished booking one on the Breakaway. I've been looking at a cruise for a while and I really enjoy the Breakaway.  I balcony looks very similar to the rest of the balcony cabins but is a bit less expensive.  These balconies were just added (the category) at least, today. 

10 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

What ship and date? Can you post a screenshot of where it says "solo balcony"? That's something I've not heard of before.

Getaway.  Greek isles.   September 2024, Athens.    I don't recall the dates but i looked at 2 different dates and got same thing.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I just finished booking one on the Breakaway. I've been looking at a cruise for a while and I really enjoy the Breakaway.  I balcony looks very similar to the rest of the balcony cabins but is a bit less expensive.  These balconies were just added (the category) at least, today. 

I see another thread about the disappearance of spa cabins, it looks like the changes happened this past weekend and went live today as they’re showing deck plans for pre January 7th and plans for post January 7th. 

Interesting that NCL is classing regular balcony cabins as 'solo balcony', but I'll take it.  Hopefully there will be slightly reduced pricing for it.  I'd certainly try the BA or GA if they're only on those ships.

This is a cabin class that only Royal and Celebrity have had, with actually reduced cabin sizes but SUPER high prices as they sell out within a couple months of the release of the cruise.  Royal's Quantum-class ships only have a dozen or so solo balcony cabins.

Edit - I just counted 28 of these on the BA!!

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

Hopefully there will be slightly reduced pricing for it.

The one I was just looking at is only $210 less than booking a standard Balcony solo with a "solo cruise discount".  But with the solo you get solo lounge access.  NCL is trying to make me say, "Here, take my money!" again.  😄  I feel like I have to try it!

• Like 4

I just looked at some sailing, but the price of the solo balcony is the same price as the regular balcony booked as a solo.  I'm also wondering what's the difference.  I do see that you get access to the solo lounge if you book the solo balcony.  I'm just simply curious, as I prefer inside cabins.  Maybe they will introduce solo insides, too :)

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Pookie2u said:

The one I was just looking at is only $210 less than booking a standard Balcony solo with a "solo cruise discount".  But with the solo you get solo lounge access.  NCL is trying to make me say, "Here, take my money!" again.  😄  I feel like I have to try it!

Oh, this cabin class has access to the Studio area?!  That might be worth booking!!

I am still confused.. trying to book for 2 and it lists these as an option.   The way NCL operates I am afraid to have a booking that says "solo" anywhere...   we may arrive at embarkation and they will only let one of us board !    My wife and I would have to do rock-paper-scissors to see who goes.  Even if I won, she would then want 2 out of 3, etc. until I lose !

• Haha 2

hmmm, rather than booking a cabin for 2, wonder how many would get 2 solo balconies, if the price works out to be the same?  If nothing else, you'd both then get the $50 excursion credit.  And for those situations where one person is a drinker and the other isn't, you can save on the drink package gratuities for the non-drinker.  Of course, you can both just sleep in one

1 minute ago, CCJack said:

I am still confused.. trying to book for 2 and it lists these as an option.

Hmmm... when I was looking for a two passengers, the solo category of balcony was showing as "not available" different from "sold out" of course.  Then, your post reminded me and I went back and was able to price the solo balconies.  I would NOT recommend booking a cabin designated as a solo for two even if NCL's fantastic Web Tech is allowing it.  It's not likely that your reservation will be honored.  Call your TA, PCC, or NCL direct to confirm.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

hmmm, rather than booking a cabin for 2, wonder how many would get 2 solo balconies, if the price works out to be the same?  If nothing else, you'd both then get the $50 excursion credit.  And for those situations where one person is a drinker and the other isn't, you can save on the drink package gratuities for the non-drinker.  Of course, you can both just sleep in one

No, I am getting numbers similar to Pookie2u,  book 1 person and choose this cabin $3900,  book 2 people and choose this cabin $4100 total.  Doesn't seem like much of a break for solos.

A lot of the lower priced balconies on this ship are listed as solo.   Now, to be sure I get space for my wife and I, I need to upgrade... maybe to a club balcony suite.

NCL makes a confusing change on the website and now they have us all spending more money!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CCJack said:

No, I am getting numbers similar to Pookie2u,  book 1 person and choose this cabin $3900,  book 2 people and choose this cabin $4100 total.  Doesn't seem like much of a break for solos.

A lot of the lower priced balconies on this ship are listed as solo.   Now, to be sure I get space for my wife and I, I need to upgrade... maybe to a club balcony suite.

NCL makes a confusing change on the website and now they have us all spending more money!

Atlantic least that makes more sense.  I just happened to pick a sailing where they both cost the same 

all of those solo balconies are now showing unavailable.   It must me a screw up, or maybe they are converting them to solo, but they pushed them out before all the ducks were in a row....they are offline now.

• Like 1