Interview with Giles Hawke-Managing director UK

govanguy

There is no way in hell these executives will receive the same service or non-services as a regular cruiser.  The crew and staff will fawn over them and the will be treated differently no matter how much they claim they are just a regular cruiser.  

And has anyone noticed all these references to "North Star" from him as well as Laura.  I know the new, large RCL ships have a North Star but Celebrity?  I do not see the tie in. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

There is no way in hell these executives will receive the same service or non-services as a regular cruiser.  The crew and staff will fawn over them and the will be treated differently no matter how much they claim they are just a regular cruiser.  

No doubt.  But they will get an opportunity to experience the ship and what it offers.  The new MD, Mr. Hawke has been with Celebrity only 6 weeks.  He has never been on a Celebrity cruise, which I find surprising.  I am sure they will all attempt to interact with customers on board.

Obviously this interview was directed toward the travel partners.  A couple of interesting points.  They are focusing on data and I would say that those of us that are CC members may not be representative of the overall current and future customer base.  Celebrity certainly does not want to compete on price. Although it is painful for many of the long term customers like us, Celebrity wishes to maximize profit while maintaining a higher price.  (We all know this)

• Like 2

The title of that interview is: Celebrity boss: ''There's an unhealthy obsession with cheap rather than quality'  It's aimed at travel agents.

My reply: Celebrity passenger: "There's an unhealthy obsession with cheap rather than quality."  It's aimed at him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

BTW, I listened to the entire interview and felt it was worth my time.  It doesn't bode well for a consumer.  I almost spit my coffee when he glossed over how Celebrity was known for it's good food.  I thought the interviewer was good at trying to get him to define what makes Celebrity special in order to sell it.  I didn't think he actually provided an answer.  My TA is disembarking Equinox after 20 days tomorrow.  I'll be interested to hear her first-hand opinion, as a TA, about how special X is.

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 3

I don’t really understand how someone could be put into his position without having experienced what he is selling.  We leave in 20+ days so we’ll see.  We’re not suite folks so I won’t miss the butler.  We’re in concierge so it will be interesting to see the changes - good or bad!

16 minutes ago, alfiemom said:

I don’t really understand how someone could be put into his position without having experienced what he is selling.  We leave in 20+ days so we’ll see.  We’re not suite folks so I won’t miss the butler.  We’re in concierge so it will be interesting to see the changes - good or bad!

I thought exactly the same!

Personally I think all these new management and board staff should have an induction of six weeks visiting all three categories of ships…

Week 1…Room attendant/poolside/entertainment 

Week 2…Assisting in the MDR and bars also with time in the kitchen

Week 3…Assisting in guest services.

Week 4…Experience life as an incognito standard veranda guest 

Week 5…Re-board one of the ships and spend the full week finding out ‘how it works’. Listening to middle and senior management staff, those who actually know…

Week 6…On the telephone answering queries and complaints from those who have asked to speak to a manager…

It seems to be a growing trend in all aspects of life that ‘high flyers’ can zoom into any industry and almost immediately know what needs doing and how to do it! Utter rubbish in my opinion…There is a lot to be said for employing from the ranks…I think most of us would feel more secure for the future if some experienced Captains were on the decision making boards…

Grump over….

• Like 4