CocoCay, More, Less, or Just Right?

Ret MP

20 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I liked it better before all of the changes were made to it.

Me too.  Was best when it was still a tendered port stop.  Was still natural and peaceful.  If I want Disney World...I will drive to Orlando.  

• Like 1

It is a cheesesteak. They call it shaved beef but it comes on a small roll with cheese, peppers and onions. I transplanted years ago from Phila and this is as close as I get to a decent cheesesteak in FL. 
On Wonder 2 weeks ago was the best Kummelwreck  we have had in a long time. 

16 minutes ago, Ozzie26 said:

It is a cheesesteak. They call it shaved beef but it comes on a small roll with cheese, peppers and onions. I transplanted years ago from Phila and this is as close as I get to a decent cheesesteak in FL.

So am I and my comment to Scott was from previous conversations we've had elsewhere. Cheesesteaks are obviously terrible here and the one time I tried that one (a while ago) it was pretty bad but there always good and bad batches of buffet items. I mostly just stick to the chicken sandwiches and taco bar now.

18 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

So am I and my comment to Scott was from previous conversations we've had elsewhere. Cheesesteaks are obviously terrible here and the one time I tried that one (a while ago) it was pretty bad but there always good and bad batches of buffet items. I mostly just stick to the chicken sandwiches and taco bar now.

Mmmm...I do love the taco bar.   Pretty cool watching the crew member load the tortilla dough into the machine.  Nice and fresh!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

Mmmm...I do love the taco bar.   Pretty cool watching the crew member load the tortilla dough into the machine.  Nice and fresh!

It's less exciting to me when I have El Loco Fresh onboard but a taco is a taco and the fresh tortillas are nice.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

After I posted I thought...wait...did he mean the cheesesteak?  ha ha... hey, if I looked at it like a beef sandwich, it's probably good! lol- give me a little au jus and I can deal with that! 

It's cheesesteak -- with onions, peppers and cheese.  I thought it was good but not great; the bread could've been better.  No au jus.  

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

But the cabanas don't reduce the number of umbrellas or loungers that are available, and there is still plenty of empty sand / "free beach" available at every single beach if you just want to sit on the sand instead of a lounger, so I still don't understand the point.  It's not like they removed 1000 loungers to make room for more cabanas.  

And now there are probably 3-4 times as many loungers as there were Pre-Perfect Day (PPD), and probably over 100 times as much shaded seating as there was PPD.  And there are way more free amenities/activities now than there were PPD as well.  

Maybe photographs will help -- I can't make it any easier than this: 

Here's a picture of Chill Island (not all of Coco Cay) when it first opened.  Note that blue loungers (free loungers) surround the little cove.  

Next is a picture of Chill Island today.  Note that many more for-cost cabanas (or beach beds or whatever they're called) have taken the place of the no-cost free loungers.  Fewer loungers /less for the non-paying beach-goer.  

Screenshot 2023-10-17 3.16.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-17 3.16.51 PM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I Like Coco but it has some issues.  Not enough lounge chairs for the massive crowds.  To me the biggest issue is the way they have made the beaches with soft sand creates cloudy water.  Really not a very good beach.  The water around the island it clear but that soft sand just stirs up stuff.  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, volk904 said:

I Like Coco but it has some issues.  Not enough lounge chairs for the massive crowds.  To me the biggest issue is the way they have made the beaches with soft sand creates cloudy water.  Really not a very good beach.  The water around the island it clear but that soft sand just stirs up stuff.  

I know right- I prefer Stoney grainy hard on the feet kind of beaches where you need dive shoes to even enter the water 

What we’re they thinking putting all that soft serve sand down on the beach - the nerve 😜

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

I know right- I prefer Stoney grainy hard on the feet kind of beaches where you need dive shoes to even enter the water 

What we’re they thinking putting all that soft serve sand down on the beach - the nerve 😜

Hopefully the soft serve sand is more natural than RCI's soft serve ice cream.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/16/2023 at 12:36 PM, C cruise said:

this will be the first time I will be at Coco Cay and I am really looking forward to it... I do live in Florida and have the beach and pool but I expect this to be a different type of beach...We may only stay there a short while but I just don't want to miss it. We don't have the drink package but do have the refresher package so I am guessing we can have water or soda. Is the walk far from the ship?

No,  There is a shuttle.  Then you can take the tram (that's what I call it) once on the island.  He or she  will announce which area as they stop. You can get back to the ship the same way.  So walk as much or as little as you want.  Plenty of free non acholic drinks and food on the island.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 4:00 AM, vjmatty said:

Strange what you say about food in other countries when American food is such crap….filled with hormones, antibiotics, high fructose corn syrup, etc. When I spend a month in Greece, or pretty much any other country besides the US, I actually lose weight since the food is more natural.

That being said, I don’t think Coco Cay is much better if stocked by Royal. 

It's an opinion!  

Eat what you want for YOUR reasons, and I'll eat what I want, for MY reasons.  

This will be my first visit to Coco Cay March 18th next year. Looks like Wonder will be the only ship there that day so hoping it's not going to be super crowded.

At this point, I don't know what I don't know 🙃

BUT...the wife and I love the beach so I expect we will have a great time. We also purchased the adults area pass as well since it was so cheap. If it turns out it's more of a Vegas pool party, we will find another spot on the Island to have a good time.

Yeah, we are pretty laid back.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:14 PM, soremekun said:

I love what Royal Caribbean has done to the island.  I hope they continue to develop it further and bring more attractions that appeal to their customers.  I hope additional attractions and developed areas mean more to do and less density.

@Ret MP , is there anything you would like to see on the island that may change your mind?

No. 1, not be in the Bahamas.

AND, some entertainment other than eating, drinking, sunning, etc.  Not that there is something wrong with any or all.  Just not for me, except the drinking and eating part.  But, if that's all there is, it's boring, FOR ME!  And it is the luck of the draw as to how crowded it is.  If a Q class and an O class ship are there at the same time, and both are at capacity or close to it, it's a disaster, as far as I'm concerned.  I believe, meaning it's my opinion, that the island and it's public access areas are way too small for the crowds, and with more and more itineraries including CocoCay, it's only going to get worse.  I don't think the new beach will help, much.  

Ya, I think entertainment for those who don't especially like sunning and swimming for an entire day would make a world of difference.  At least Labadee has a zip line and a rollercoaster.  However, I'm talking about things to do for old farts like me.  Thrill Water Park is out of my desires.  

I think CocoCay is great for young people and the young in general, and I'm sure that there are many old farts that like CocoCay, too.  It just isn't for me <my opinion.   

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I think CocoCay is great for young FAMILIES people and the young in general, and I'm sure that there are many old farts that like CocoCay, too.  It just isn't for me <my opinion.   

Fixed

8 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Just not for me, except the drinking and eating part.  But, if that's all there is, it's boring, FOR ME!

As you've basically pointed out, it's personal preference.

However, lounging at a pool or beach with food and drink is very popular with people of all ages, IMO.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 11:34 PM, Ret MP said:

I was underwhelmed by the food.  

Would it take a lot of time to get on the ship just for lunch then come back out afterwards?   

Never been to coco or for that matter any cruise and going there on allure next week.   Can either go to coastal kitchen as a sky suite passenger or sabor which opens at 2.

Edited by njdealguy

Just now, njdealguy said:

Would it take a lot of time to get on the ship just for lunch then come back out afterwards?

Absolutely, you can do that.  But, it is a bit of a walk (or shuttle) to get back to the ship.  We did actually go back to the ship a little after lunchtime, 1:00 ish.  But, we didn't go back to the island.  

One consideration about going back to the ship, many venues don't open while in port.  I believe, even some restaurants, not till out at sea again.  Check the Cruise Compass to make decisions, first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, njdealguy said:

It's not the shortest walk, especially if it's hot out, and I wouldn't do it just to have lunch at CK (which I do think is very good, but I also love the food on CocoCay, it's just casual food like chicken sandwiches, mozz sticks, funnel cake, taco bar, burgers, bbq chicken, etc.)

Sabor was great on Allure a few days ago. If eating there at 2pm works for you, maybe spend the morning at CocoCay (9am-1pm or something) and then just go back to the ship for Sabor?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's not the shortest walk, especially if it's hot out, and I wouldn't do it just to have lunch at CK (which I do think is very good, but I also love the food on CocoCay, it's just casual food like chicken sandwiches, mozz sticks, funnel cake, taco bar, burgers, bbq chicken, etc.)

Sabor was great on Allure a few days ago. If eating there at 2pm works for you, maybe spend the morning at CocoCay (9am-1pm or something) and then just go back to the ship for Sabor?

As much as you love CocoCay for its food, I really love Sabor for its food and other offerings.  It's too bad that Sabor is/has fallen victim to being replaced with Playmakers as O-class ships have been/are being renovated.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I really love Sabor for its food and other offerings.  It's too bad that Sabor is/has fallen victim to being replaced with Playmakers

Not surprisingly, I also like Playmakers, lol. My dream ship would have both. I think Sabor is very underrated.

We had the nicest server at Sabor on Allure Saturday. I told her the bacon wrapped chicken jalapeno app was my favorite thing on the menu... so she brought me a triple order. 🙈

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I also love the food on CocoCay, it's just casual food like chicken sandwiches, mozz sticks, funnel cake, taco bar, burgers, bbq chicken, etc.)

I am fine with that type of food as long as it isn't fly infested like at Labadee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1