Tranatlantic

brichar499

4 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

The prior years' Greek Odyssey was port intensive, and we did not have much time to enjoy all that a V cruise ship offers.  Highly recommend Greek Odyssey.

We are booked on the Gk Odyssey cruise for Feb 2025. it does have one sea day. We are so looking forward to it. My sister has never been to Greece. I have been  there three different  times on a cruise. 

Our last cruise was Scenic Scandinavia in June 2023  with zero sea days.

The Met rebroadcast was on  a TA a number of years ago, and on one of our pandemic cruises in 2021. They were scheduled in the late afternoon on sea day. It was posted in the  Daily. 

I can see when a cruise has no sea days  they would not offer it.Or they do not have  this offering anymore?

Edited by Azulann

8 hours ago, Azulann said:

We are booked on the Gk Odyssey cruise for Feb 2025. it does have one sea day. We are so looking forward to it. My sister has never been to Greece. I have been  there three different  times on a cruise. 

Our last cruise was Scenic Scandinavia in June 2023  with zero sea days.

The Met rebroadcast was on  a TA a number of years ago, and on one of our pandemic cruises in 2021. They were scheduled in the late afternoon on sea day. It was posted in the  Daily. 

I can see when a cruise has no sea days  they would not offer it.Or they do not have  this offering anymore?

Have a V cruise later this year, not TA, many Sea days, so I'll be watching for both offerings.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

On 10/31/2023 at 6:22 AM, FetaCheese said:

(We read Currents thoroughly each evening -- was not listed.). Unfortunately, I never enquired as to why not.

What is "Currents" ?  Not heard of that.  Might that be from a different line?

I must have missed the ads that guaranteed a Met broadcast on every cruise.  I've seen them on cruises with multiple sea days, but not port intensive itineraries, as we enjoy them.

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

What is "Currents" ?  Not heard of that.  Might that be from a different line?

I must have missed the ads that guaranteed a Met broadcast on every cruise.  I've seen them on cruises with multiple sea days, but not port intensive itineraries, as we enjoy them.

It's the daily printed program.

Sorry, I could be confusing the daily name of Viking with Oceania's.

Met Live broadcast is listed on MVJ... OnBoard... Enrichment. 

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

20 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

It's the daily printed program.

Sorry, I could be confusing the daily name of Viking with Oceania's.

Met Live broadcast is listed on MVJ... OnBoard... Enrichment. 

I see it now.   Perhaps it is not advertised in the Viking Daily (Currents definitely is not Viking, so it must be Oceania).  Perhaps it is listed however ,when you are onboard on the TV programs.  I do seem to remember seeing it there under one of the various categories (but can't remember it now).  Maybe take a peek when you board, through all the various programs (of which there are literally dozens!).

• Thanks 1

Viking ships are perfectly designed for sea days! Lots of public areas full of floor to ceiling windows, a full wrap around promenade deck, Infinity pool, Explorers Lounge. I can't think of any other ships currently sailing that are better designed for sea days, & that includes Queen Mary 2(she's grand, glamorous, & huge, yet I prefer Viking). Full of quiet nooks & crannies, yet never boring. There's always a buzz of activity somewhere. 

Another incredible benefit to a trans-Atlantic crossing is that you experience your shipboard community differently because there isn't the daily on-off. The  social fabric is different. There's a wonderful connection made with your fellow passengers & the lovely crew. It's a phenomenon that has to be experienced by anyone who loves cruising. One sea day gloriously unfolds into the next. My favorite way to describe a Viking Ocean ship is how I experience it - a floating Zen palace at sea. 

I work in the transportation industry, so everything is time & schedule sensitive. All that unstructured time to do absolutely nothing is the ultimate of a relaxing vacation. Bonus points that The Restaurant is open for lunch!

• Like 9

On 10/31/2023 at 6:22 AM, FetaCheese said:

On both TA December 2022, and Greek Odyssey December 2021, there was no Met broadcast, nor local entertainment brought onboard.  

V advertises that these are on every voyage.  (We read Currents thoroughly each evening -- was not listed.). Unfortunately, I never enquired as to why not.

The Met broadcasts IME tend to be on sea days.  We have gone on 2 TA and the WC.  ON the WC where there were a lot of sea days, there was only one broadcast.  I suspect it has to do largely with the cruise director.  One CD was an opera singer, so there were a couple of Met broadcasts.  However, this is just my small sampling of this, so this may or may not have had an impact on the entertainment.  

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked our first transatlantic.  West Indies & the Iberian peninsula - March 27 - April 8, 2024.  It was such a great deal that we couldn't pass it up ( free air, SSP included, reduced rates, past customer discount ).  Plus, the lower priced room categories were still available.  Just a killer deal...especially for Viking.  👍

Really looking forward to the sea days, as I feel it will be far more relaxing than the port intensive itineraries we have done in the past. The SSP will make it even more relaxing...🤣.   Plus, the Viking ocean ships are absolutely beautiful!

One question...the use of the thermal spa ( i.e. - "Nordic Spa" ) is included...correct?  If so...big time bonus there as well.  The promenade deck will be well used as well for walking.

Edited by farmecologist
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

One question...the use of the thermal spa ( i.e. - "Nordic Spa" ) is included...correct?  If so...big time bonus there as well. 

Coming up on our first Viking cruise in a bit more than a month, but everything I have heard and read says that the Nordic spa is included.  Only extra charges for massages, special treatments, etc.

We are looking forward to trying the spa also.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, taiwan_girl said:

Coming up on our first Viking cruise in a bit more than a month, but everything I have heard and read says that the Nordic spa is included.  Only extra charges for massages, special treatments, etc.

We are looking forward to trying the spa also.

Ok thanks!  We were thinking the same.  However, a friend was suggesting use of the Nordic Spa wasn't included.

I'm thinking they were getting confused and were thinking of the spa treatments, which obviously are not included.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmecologist said:

Ok thanks!  We were thinking the same.  However, a friend was suggesting use of the Nordic Spa wasn't included.

I'm thinking they were getting confused and were thinking of the spa treatments, which obviously are not included.

Yes, people are often confused.  The Nordic Spa IS INDEED included for everyone.  There are locker rooms, wet hot and cold saunas, hot tub, small jet pool, snow room, dry sauna room, lounge pads to relax, and more.

There are special "spa"/massage treatments one on one with skilled masseuses that have to be reserved and do cost, but those are done in a slightly different area.

• Like 2

My very first Viking cruise was a TA from Puerto Rico to Barcelona in late March years ago . You will love it !!!’ Six  sea days in a row and  yes use the  Nordic  Spa and all it offers It is fre. My two close friends are  The Viking sky TA that leaves today from Barcelona ! Two days before a great sale in Sept I bought new living room furniture 😊 so I am at home waiting for their photos  not on the cruise ‼️

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2