Live from Riviera

Mkdvmz

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Mkdvmz was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We boarded today in  Rome. This is our first Oceania cruise. We spent two days in Rome, walking and eating. It allowed  us to adjust to the time change. We left our hotel at 1:15, using RomeCab, they were fabulous and we were at the port at 2:30. There was a small line to go through security because there was only one small machine. Checkin was very efficient and we were in our room by 3:15. By 4:15 , our bags had been delivered, we had unpacked and I had showered. Our room, a B 2 verandah on deck 8 is lovely. We fit our suitcases easily under the bed, medium size roll- on, did not need to lift the bed. We utilized all of the various drawers, but everything fit and was put away.
We went to Martinis, got two glasses of wine and walked around the ship which is lovely.

we got the prestige beverage package. We like  to drink wine and decided we did not not to worry about each charge. We had a Soave and Albariño and both were quite good.

We had dinner in Toscana which was variable. My filet of sole was fabulous, as was the special spinach tortellini with mushrooms.  my husbands veal scallop Marsala was almost inedible. The service was very good. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, jw_406 said:

I look forward to following along on your trip - thank you for posting! My mom and I are traveling on the Riviera on November 9th, so your live posts are getting me even more excited.🙂

@jw_406 My wife and best friend will be sailing with you on November 9, 2023.  I also appreciate this blog by the OP. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

@Mkdvmz

Glad to hear you had a successful fist day experience on Riviera. We are 4 days into our Vista cruise and it is going GREAT. You mentioned an almost inedible Veal Marsala. As someone who absolutely loves Toscana, you must seek out and tell the Maitre d and let him know because believe me they want to know. A quiet conversation and ask him if there might be another opportunity to dine in Toscana before you make any decisions about their Specialty dining. It’s back to Toscana for us tomorrow and we expect our meals to be wonderful. DW says the Lasagne is absolutely #1 and like all the pasta dishes, they can be ordered appetizer portions and if they have a Chef’s special pasta, try a taster, they are usually excellent. 

Have a great cruise and if there are issues, be sure to tell them. 
Mauibabes

• Thanks 2

We awoke to steady rain and low clouds as we docked in Salerno. We had booked a private tour of Pompeii with Gaetano Manfredi. His driver picked us up at the dock  and we met Gaetano at the entrance to Pompeii. Through pouring rain, some lightening and thunder we experienced an outstanding three hour tour of the ruins with him. Absolutely fascinating, and worth soaking, squishy shoes. We returned to the ship for a light lunch and rest

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I must digress momentarily to discuss our two day stay in Rome pre-cruise. This was our fourth visit to Rome and never, ever I have seen it so crowded with tourists! Given this is mid-October, I cannot imagine what it was like in the summer. The Vatican synod had just ended but the vast majority of tourists appeared to be from cruise ships, given the tour leaders, people were following. We had a private guided tour of the Vatican museum using Eyes on Rome and our guide, Kate Farrar was outstanding . The museum was so jammed with visitors even with our guide it was difficult to see the exhibits and artwork. I don’t know that I would recommend going to the museum and Basilica without a guide, it is now so packed. 
we stayed in a hotel near the Campo di Fiore but our travel companions stayed at the Oceania sponsored hotel the Principio and they were very happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mkdvmz said:

I must digress momentarily to discuss our two day stay in Rome pre-cruise. This was our fourth visit to Rome and never, ever I have seen it so crowded with tourists! Given this is mid-October, I cannot imagine what it was like in the summer. The Vatican synod had just ended but the vast majority of tourists appeared to be from cruise ships, given the tour leaders, people were following. We had a private guided tour of the Vatican museum using Eyes on Rome and our guide, Kate Farrar was outstanding . The museum was so jammed with visitors even with our guide it was difficult to see the exhibits and artwork. I don’t know that I would recommend going to the museum and Basilica without a guide, it is now so packed. 
we stayed in a hotel near the Campo di Fiore but our travel companions stayed at the Oceania sponsored hotel the Principio and they were very happy with it.

7 hours ago, Mkdvmz said:

A very quick update, the internet service has been very good. My husband and I have individually logged on and easily transferred from iPhone to iPad. Perhaps because we are relatively nearshore, the satellite reception is very good. Two accounts per stateroom working well

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mkdvmz said:

A very quick update, the internet service has been very good. My husband and I have individually logged on and easily transferred from iPhone to iPad. Perhaps because we are relatively nearshore, the satellite reception is very good. Two accounts per stateroom working well

Same on Vista - sailing from Miami to LAX through Panama Canal - 2 accounts and quick internet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I will be boarding in Trieste as you disembark.  Please keep these helpful posts coming.  Your input is appreciated.  Interested to know who the cruise director, captain and GM are.  Thank you, and I hope your weather improves.

• Like 2

We had a wonderful dinner last night at Polo. We went to the main dining room and 6:30 and as we were checking in, the maitre d said there was a table available at Polo, if we would like to go there. She mentioned it would not impact our reservation for another night. We gladly accepted offer. We had a lovely table in the back. I had a great veal chop, my husband a perfectly medium rare filet and my cousin the shrimp scampi which was terrific. The service was again very good. We had a delicious red burgundy to accompany (from wine list) and ended with a Sauternes from the by the glass menu. So far, the prestige package has been well worth it for us.

We awoke to sunny skies and calm seas in Messina. We went on the ship tour to Taormina.

There about 25-30 people on our bus and it left promptly at 8:30 AM. We arrived before it was crowded. We had a lovely tour guide. The group was small enough we could all easily hear her. She walked us through the town, pointing out different churches, commenting on architecture. We arrived at the Ancient Greek theatre (tickets are provided with the tour) and she gave a nice explanation. We then had about an hour of free time before meeting at the pre designated point.

We were back on the ship by 12:30, and came out to sit at the pool after getting some lunch at waves. Yesterday , they served fresh mussels in red sauce made to order with fresh pasta that they were making in the back grill area. Today, we tried the excellent pizza. There are many deck chairs in the sun and the shaded areas. The upper decks are beautifully laid out with multiple different seating areas. 
The internet has worked extremely well. We have had no difficulty having two different devices on line and it is quite easy to switch from my iPad to my Iphone. I have also had very good reception on my phone.

There are very few people wearing masks but on the other hand, I have not heard any coughing or sneezing! The Mediterranean climate appears to be helping.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mkdvmz said:

We had a wonderful dinner last night at Polo. We went to the main dining room and 6:30 and as we were checking in, the maitre d said there was a table available at Polo, if we would like to go there. She mentioned it would not impact our reservation for another night. We gladly accepted offer. We had a lovely table in the back. I had a great veal chop, my husband a perfectly medium rare filet and my cousin the shrimp scampi which was terrific. The service was again very good. We had a delicious red burgundy to accompany (from wine list) and ended with a Sauternes from the by the glass menu. So far, the prestige package has been well worth it for us.

We awoke to sunny skies and calm seas in Messina. We went on the ship tour to Taormina.

There about 25-30 people on our bus and it left promptly at 8:30 AM. We arrived before it was crowded. We had a lovely tour guide. The group was small enough we could all easily hear her. She walked us through the town, pointing out different churches, commenting on architecture. We arrived at the Ancient Greek theatre (tickets are provided with the tour) and she gave a nice explanation. We then had about an hour of free time before meeting at the pre designated point.

We were back on the ship by 12:30, and came out to sit at the pool after getting some lunch at waves. Yesterday , they served fresh mussels in red sauce made to order with fresh pasta that they were making in the back grill area. Today, we tried the excellent pizza. There are many deck chairs in the sun and the shaded areas. The upper decks are beautifully laid out with multiple different seating areas. 
The internet has worked extremely well. We have had no difficulty having two different devices on line and it is quite easy to switch from my iPad to my Iphone. I have also had very good reception on my phone.

There are very few people wearing masks but on the other hand, I have not heard any coughing or sneezing! The Mediterranean climate appears to be helping.

@Mkdvmz Thank you so much.  Your comments are so important to me and my party.  We are just a few weeks away from our cruise on the Riviera.  I found it interesting the Veal Chop was good in Polo and the veal in the Italian Restaurant was not so.  As with other dining comments, I made a note of that.  Also your comment about the Prestige Drink Package was nice to hear.

Really enjoying following along as we will be on the Riviera in 2025.  Just as a side note, I understand that many areas of the Med are busier than normal due to the many ships that have changed itineraries due to the problems in Israel.  

46 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Mkdvmz Thank you so much.  Your comments are so important to me and my party.  We are just a few weeks away from our cruise on the Riviera.  I found it interesting the Veal Chop was good in Polo and the veal in the Italian Restaurant was not so.  As with other dining comments, I made a note of that.  Also your comment about the Prestige Drink Package was nice to hear.

@sthrgary, the problem with the veal in Toscana, was a very poor quality slice of veal, chewy and gristle. The veal chop was a loin cut and as I said was delicious. Our other items at Toscana were excellent 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best Vealchop is in Jacques, don't even think of getting Vealchop in anyother specialty restaurant. There vealchop is a cut we very rarely see in restaurant in the US.It has always been consistent since the Marina and Riviera 2014.

• Thanks 3

Hello, we’ll be boarding in Trieste. I hope you wouldn’t mind answering a question for me. How is the temperature on board and a specially in the dining venues. Would long sleeve dress shirt for men will be fine without jacket/sweater? What about silk blouse for women or I’ll need something else to keep me comfortable? Thanks!

• Like 1

Absolutely no “ one size fits all” answer.

Some days it’s comfortable in a short sleeve shirt, other days I’m extremely happy that I brought my sports jacket. I always wear my sports jacket to dinner. It’s easy to slip off if the venue is comfortable or warm . My DW always carries a sweater. It’s truly a Forest Gump box of chocolates thing. You’ll never know until you get there. Conditions last night have no bearing on tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For our upcoming 10/30/23 embarkation in Trieste on Riviera... We are in the 10-day forecast window for those who may arrive early as well as boarding on the 30th. So now we're getting close to "actual weather". Not looking so good for us in Venice on 27th-28th.

Edited by MEFIowa
Added a clarifying comment
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iaae22 said:

Hello, we’ll be boarding in Trieste. I hope you wouldn’t mind answering a question for me. How is the temperature on board and a specially in the dining venues. Would long sleeve dress shirt for men will be fine without jacket/sweater? What about silk blouse for women or I’ll need something else to keep me comfortable? Thanks!

The temperature is very pleasant, not too cold. Silk blouse would be fine and no jacket. Trieste will be colder outside, so if anything, I would think the AC on the ship would be slightly warmer

• Like 2

Dress observations: the vast majority of guests adhere to country club casual during the evening dinner hours. I have not observed any jeans. During the day, more casual with shorts, tees occasional jeans but still everyone neatly dressed. A few jackets on men in Polo and Toscana but more the exception 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 2:01 PM, Mkdvmz said:

It is European school holiday time...that might account for the crowds.  And then there is the pent up demand that Covid created...  We have the same situation here in Switzerland and have had all summer.

19 hours ago, Mkdvmz said:

The temperature is very pleasant, not too cold. Silk blouse would be fine and no jacket. Trieste will be colder outside, so if anything, I would think the AC on the ship would be slightly warmer

Thank you for your reply! 

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

It is European school holiday time...that might account for the crowds.  And then there is the pent up demand that Covid created...  We have the same situation here in Switzerland and have had all summer.

Perhaps, the school holidays were a factor but I also think the fact that 11,000 cruise ship passengers were in town that day, added to the chaos 

22 minutes ago, Mkdvmz said:

Perhaps, the school holidays were a factor but I also think the fact that 11,000 cruise ship passengers were in town that day, added to the chaos 

I doubt that made a huge difference nor would it be different from one day to another.  You mention the Vatican museum - we had a private tour there that started 90 minutes before the public were allowed in.  By the time we got to the Sistine Chapel we could barely move...and that was a while ago, pre-Covid.  I have been to Rome maybe 10 or more times and it is almost always crowded.

• Like 1

Yesterday 23/10 we docked in Valletta, Malta. It was a beautiful sunny day in the high 70s. The ship docked at the Boilers Point dock and a free ferry was provided for ship passengers to get to the opposite side of the harbor where taxis were available as well as tours and the hop on , hop off bus. Ship tours originated right at the ship but took a longer drive around the peninsula.

we had previously decided to use the hoho. Like all of life, one should always be prepared. Upon exiting the cruise terminal area, there were several people offering 20 euro tickets for the bus, that it was about a 2 hour plus circle. We said great , walked two minutes and got on the upper level with many of our shipmates. Within five minutes the bus was full and off we went. 
We quickly went on the main highway driving away from downtown Valletta and the majority of sites most wanted to see. In fact we we drove for over 30 minutes before it made a stop, near St. Anton’s gardens. We drove further out to the Artisan’s village and glass factory (where there were many tour buses and taxi tours) By now, almost 90 minutes had passed. The good news, one did not need to get off at the tourist stop, the bad, we were nowhere near where we had hoped to be. One couple finally got on the saying they had waited almost an hour for a hoho bus to appear and everyone around us agreed, we would probably just stay on. We did pass the Medina Gate, and finally made it to the middle of the older area where the driver said this was the last stop before returning to the cruise terminal. We were at least a 10 minute walk from St John cathedral and decided to just return to the ship, lesson learned, ask many questions.

we had a lovely dinner in the main dining room.

Today is our one day at sea, beautiful, sunny, calm seas. It appears that everyone can find seating around the pool area, in the sun or shade. Mercifully, the loud band has stopped playing. 

• Thanks 1