Help was gifted a cruise Norwegian or RC

forwardho

We have only sailed with Holland. We were “gifted” a free 7 day cruise but only with Norwegian or RC. The itineraries are similar (eastern Caribbean) . I just would like to hear from those who sailed with these lines, the positives or negatives. It would be Norwegian Encore or Norwegian Breakaway or Iconof the Sea Thank you. 

2 hours ago, forwardho said:

We have only sailed with Holland. We were “gifted” a free 7 day cruise but only with Norwegian or RC. The itineraries are similar (eastern Caribbean) . I just would like to hear from those who sailed with these lines, the positives or negatives. It would be Norwegian Encore or Norwegian Breakaway or Iconof the Sea Thank you. 

It’s wrong to look a gift horse in the mouth - but is there a rational reason for your choice being limited to those three?  I think NCL offers a third rate cruise experience - but thinking about being part of the Icon’s 7,500 passenger load gives me the cold collywobbles. I have sailed with both lines (not on the ships mentioned) - and hope never again to sail NCL (I suppose if it was the only way to get home from some bad situation, I might reconsider.  Then, of course, I would have to be very hard up for a way to spend my time with 7,500 people who want to be on that sort of vessel.

Faced with that offer, I think I would simply politely decline.

3 hours ago, forwardho said:

We have only sailed with Holland... I just would like to hear from those who sailed with these lines, the positives or negatives. 

We have sailed primarily with HAL. Exceptions were one Panama cruise on the Norwegian Star and one transAtlantic on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Both older and smaller ships. The Star was dismal, the Rhapsody upbeat. 

I literally would not accept a free cruise on any NCL ship.

• Like 1

Definitely Icon. We sailed on Symphony and although it had 6000+ passengers did not find it overwhelmingly crowded. We could always find a quiet spot to relax. The food was good, service impeccable and the cabin (forward facing ocean view) was spacious and comfortable. Wish someone would give me a gift like that!!!🙂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Definitely Icon. We sailed on Symphony and although it had 6000+ passengers did not find it overwhelmingly crowded. We could always find a quiet spot to relax. The food was good, service impeccable and the cabin (forward facing ocean view) was spacious and comfortable. Wish someone would give me a gift like that!!!🙂

Since part of cruising is experiencing the ports.   Being one 6,000 passengers surging ashore at the same has to dilute the experience somewhat.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Since part of cruising is experiencing the ports.   Being one 6,000 passengers surging ashore at the same has to dilute the experience somewhat.

Seeing as how it is an Eastern Caribbean itinerary in question, I would guess that most of those ports of call are likely to have multiple ships in port on any given day, so the diluted experience would likely be several fold of the one ship and would have a similar affect on any smaller capacity ship in port at the time. And to your point, both cruise lines in question have mega ships, so the choice in that regards becomes rather moot IMO.

43 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Seeing as how it is an Eastern Caribbean itinerary in question, I would guess that most of those ports of call are likely to have multiple ships in port on any given day, so the diluted experience would likely be several fold of the one ship and would have a similar affect on any smaller capacity ship in port at the time. And to your point, both cruise lines in question have mega ships, so the choice in that regards becomes rather moot IMO.

One reason why I prefer smaller ships is their ability to call at smaller ports which either geographically cannot, or by local decision will not, have large ships call, so the existence of the mega-ships is not so much of a problem.  And, while I like some Eastern Caribbean ports , it is now only as a land visitor so I can shelter in place during the hours when they are over-run by thousands (or, as in the occasional case on St. Maarten, tens of thousands) of cruise passengers.

Recalling my first visit to St. Thomas (on a US Navy ship) with no cruise ships in port over the several days we were alongside - I pity todays cruisers for the limited exposure available to them.

Edited by navybankerteacher