Alcohol on board

snaver

I see from the P&O website that each adult is allowed to bring up to 1 litre of wine or spirits onboard when they first embark. It doesn't say whether the bottles have to be carried in hand luggage or put in the checked baggage that's handed in before embarkation. It may just be OK in either. I'm also assuming that the bottles have to be sealed and unopened? Any guidance on this would be really appreciated. Cheers!

Edited by snaver
additional words

29 minutes ago, snaver said:

I see from the P&O website that each adult is allowed to bring up to 1 litre of wine or spirits onboard when they first embark. It doesn't say whether the bottles have to be carried in hand luggage or put in the checked baggage that's handed in before embarkation. It may just be OK in either. I'm also assuming that the bottles have to be sealed and unopened? Any guidance on this would be really appreciated. Cheers!

The bottles can be carried in checked or hand luggage, we always take ours in the hand luggage when boarding as I have seen the way the cases are thrown about. On the way home we wrap the bottles between dirty washing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlexMcSpot said:

You could always decant into plastic bottles, tonic bottle works, and wrap in plastic bag before packing in luggage. Less chance of breakage, less weight to carry and you could recycle when empty.

Is decanting spirits etc into other bottles, rather than keeping them in unopened bottles, allowed by P&O?

The bottles don’t need to be unopened 😊 You can take an open bottle.

For the sake of two bottles I would put them in hand luggage: use a small wheelie bag/case so save carrying the weight if it’s a problem. I wouldn’t be decanting them and risking the suitcase contents, regardless of how well they are wrapped.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, snaver said:

Is decanting spirits etc into other bottles, rather than keeping them in unopened bottles, allowed by P&O?

We did it on our cruise on Arcadia earlier this month, we took the tip from our in-laws, who are regular cruisers and have been using this method for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, AlexMcSpot said:

We did it on our cruise on Arcadia earlier this month, we took the tip from our in-laws, who are regular cruisers and have been using this method for years.

Don't see how it is worth the mother just put the bottles in hand luggage and carry them onboard.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snaver said:

We use a small " carry on " ,wheeled suitcase. A couple of bottles of wine and a few plastic bottles of diet coke.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Can I check, what would be the purpose of that? Just so it's not glass?

You can get plastic containers with child lock type caps which may be better than a part glass bottle. Plastic bottles weigh considerably less than glass and plastic is more flexible so less likely to break but could crack.

On cruise lines that do not allow spirits to be taken aboard people come up with all sorts of inventive ideas to smuggle their drink on. One of our friends takes 6 Lt bottles of coke where he has emptied out some coke and topped the bottles up with rum, I asked him whether it went flat and he said yes but it was still better than paying bar prices. Everybody to their own, even as a good Yorkshire man I couldn't be bothered.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Can I check, what would be the purpose of that? Just so it's not glass?

We decanted into bottles on a recent one week cruise, where we only needed 500ml each, gin for me, vodka for our lass. It saved bringing back part full glass bottles.

• Like 1

We've had a bit of hassle with our booking with P&O so currently waiting to see how they resolve it before deciding whether I'm giving them any more of my £££'s onboard. If they give a decent solution then I don't mind giving them money for drinks, if they want to give poor customer service I'll just take my own.

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You just spoiled to fun of guessing what spillchock did. I assumed you meant bother. What's a mither?.🤣

Mither is certainly a word used in Yorkshire;

Stop mithering me ( stop bothering me or don't make a fuss)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Mither is certainly a word used in Yorkshire;

Stop mithering me ( stop bothering me or don't make a fuss)

Think Major Tom meant me neither ,however Mither is a wonderful word ,especially if your from Yorkshire and understand its implication 👍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Think Major Tom meant me neither ,however Mither is a wonderful word ,especially if your from Yorkshire and understand its implication 👍

I think Tom could have meant mither as it fits with his original post in that it is not worth the mither (bother). I do agree that it is a good word and we have now set the ball rolling into a whole new take on the English language and predictive text. Can you imagine a Yorkshire predictive text programme?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think Tom could have meant mither as it fits with his original post in that it is not worth the mither (bother). I do agree that it is a good word and we have now set the ball rolling into a whole new take on the English language and predictive text. Can you imagine a Yorkshire predictive text programme?

I recall a couple of years ago, a fella with Cerebral Palsy from Hull, was getting help in developing a Yorkshire accent for his speaking computer.

• Like 1

It has been suggested that if you really want to get more alcohol on board you put 1 litre in your suitcase and 1 litre in hand luggage. They will go through security in separate places and they are not going to connect the two bottles to the same person.  (No guarantees given of this working!)

5 hours ago, TigerB said:

We decanted into bottles on a recent one week cruise, where we only needed 500ml each, gin for me, vodka for our lass. It saved bringing back part full glass bottles.

Yeah, I won't be bring any back 😄😉

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I am not from Yorkshire and is a common word in many parts of the country.

• Like 2