Will there be a production show on 4-day cruise to Ensenada?

TN-Mountains

We are doing the "4-Day West Coast Getaway with San Diego" on Discovery Princess Dec 19-23.  The itinerary is:  Los Angeles--San Diego--Sea Day--Ensenada--Los Angeles.  Will there be a production show one night?  If so, will it be on the Sea Day?  I need to make dinner reservations and I want to plan around any production shows.  Also, what is the port like in Ensenada?  Is there anything kid-friendly (ages 10, 12 & 13) to do within walking distance?  We are debating the Blow Hole Express excursion, but it only has a 3.5-star rating.

Yes, you’ll have a production show. Often it will be on the dressy night which will be the sea day.
We don’t usually get off the ship in Ensenada, but there is quite a large pedestrian area at the port. We were there on a holiday weekend once and there seemed to be family events going on. 

Ensenada. There is a port area with a number of stores and some pavement to walk around. The town is quite a distance from the port. I remember there were shuttle busses. On the bus the driver or guide was pushing blowhole trips. I did not hear great comments regarding the blowhole, but I never went there myself.

At the port next to the ship there were seals (or maybe they were sea lions) on the rocks directly next to the ship. They were fun to watch. 

5 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

We are debating the Blow Hole Express excursion, but it only has a 3.5-star rating.

Not really worth bothering with.  La Bufadora isn't really all that impressive, the ones in Hawaii are much better.  You'll also be pestered by aggressive vendors as you walk down to the blow hole.

You have to go to La Bufadora at high tide. It does not impress at other times. Ensenada is not really a port for children. I really can't think of anything that is geared towards children unless it is warm and you go to the beach south of town. I have been going to Ensenada for years. We camped on the beach down there for years.

Edited by tootsiescurly

Don't do the blow hole, it's a rip off and you'll get surrounded by pesky vendors. The best thing for kids is a water fountain in the park area right next to the port, as well as a playground there and some snack vendors and tables. There's free public wifi in that area too. It's easy to find--just look for the huge Mexican flagpole. The fountain might not work until later in the day, but it plays to music and local kids might be playing there. With school out, a lot of families and kids might be there too. If you walk further along the harbor there should be unusual Christmas displays. There's a little market there too for locals, with cafes, as well as fishermen and a stinky fish market. When you get to the stinky fish market (kids would find it entertainingly gross to see the various kinds of unusual fish), turn right and head into town, across busy streets with crosswalks, and you'll be at the end of the main tourist shopping street. Getting there you'll pass a nice candy store with lots of unique local options in bins, so it would be fun for kids to try different Mexican treats. Then when you get to the main shopping street there will be tons of vendors and souvenirs. There's a McDonald's with restrooms if you buy something. That street is perfectly safe, because the vendors and city depend on tourists. If you keep going several blocks past McDonalds, there are some nice little cafes and restaurants, with fewer souvenir shops. Don't go into a farmacia and buy tablets of any kind, because they have Mexican security at the port who will confiscate them. If you go back by the flagpole, there's a big plaza on the other side with some huge busts of famous people, which makes some good photo ops, as does the fountain with the ship in the background. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, rj59 said:

Don't go into a farmacia and buy tablets of any kind, because they have Mexican security at the port who will confiscate them.

How would they know unless there's a pat down before you reenter the ship?

I was in Ensenada with my 15 and 17 year old sons and my brother. We had a great time and felt safe the whole time. I agree @MissP22 that there is nothing to worry about while returning to the ship. If I had kids your age, I’d maybe grab a shuttle (round trip and not expensive at all) and walk the Main Street. Grab a souvenir or two. We took an Uber to local restaurants away from the tourist area. Probably wouldn’t suggest that with younger kids. My kids were offered drugs, strip clubs, beer, massages, and a trip to the back room of the souvenir shop where he had women waiting. We declined all, and my boys aren’t sheltered so it was more an experience of a different life than my kids see at home. Your kids are younger so you probably won’t experience that, but it’s there. If you are sensitive to that, you really might enjoy the ship a little less crowded. We were off the ship for the least amount of time in Ensenada and returned to relax in the ship. 

Thanks everyone for all the information!  Based on all I've read, Ensenada isn't really high on my to-do list, but this trip checks off a bunch of "firsts" for my kids.  It is their first time on a plane; their first time cruising; and, their first time out of the country.  We want to do just enough in Ensenada that they can say they've been to Mexico!  

On 10/26/2023 at 10:18 AM, sunviking90 said:

Yes, you’ll have a production show. Often it will be on the dressy night which will be the sea day.
We don’t usually get off the ship in Ensenada, but there is quite a large pedestrian area at the port. We were there on a holiday weekend once and there seemed to be family events going on. 

That was my first thought, but there aren't any formal nights on this cruise so I thought they might skip the production show, too.  

On 10/27/2023 at 11:20 AM, rj59 said:

Don't do the blow hole, it's a rip off and you'll get surrounded by pesky vendors. The best thing for kids is a water fountain in the park area right next to the port, as well as a playground there and some snack vendors and tables. There's free public wifi in that area too. It's easy to find--just look for the huge Mexican flagpole. The fountain might not work until later in the day, but it plays to music and local kids might be playing there. With school out, a lot of families and kids might be there too. If you walk further along the harbor there should be unusual Christmas displays. There's a little market there too for locals, with cafes, as well as fishermen and a stinky fish market. When you get to the stinky fish market (kids would find it entertainingly gross to see the various kinds of unusual fish), turn right and head into town, across busy streets with crosswalks, and you'll be at the end of the main tourist shopping street. Getting there you'll pass a nice candy store with lots of unique local options in bins, so it would be fun for kids to try different Mexican treats. Then when you get to the main shopping street there will be tons of vendors and souvenirs. There's a McDonald's with restrooms if you buy something. That street is perfectly safe, because the vendors and city depend on tourists. If you keep going several blocks past McDonalds, there are some nice little cafes and restaurants, with fewer souvenir shops. Don't go into a farmacia and buy tablets of any kind, because they have Mexican security at the port who will confiscate them. If you go back by the flagpole, there's a big plaza on the other side with some huge busts of famous people, which makes some good photo ops, as does the fountain with the ship in the background. 

Awesome info!  Thank you!!!

On 10/28/2023 at 11:18 AM, New2cruise2022 said:

I was in Ensenada with my 15 and 17 year old sons and my brother. We had a great time and felt safe the whole time. I agree @MissP22 that there is nothing to worry about while returning to the ship. If I had kids your age, I’d maybe grab a shuttle (round trip and not expensive at all) and walk the Main Street. Grab a souvenir or two. We took an Uber to local restaurants away from the tourist area. Probably wouldn’t suggest that with younger kids. My kids were offered drugs, strip clubs, beer, massages, and a trip to the back room of the souvenir shop where he had women waiting. We declined all, and my boys aren’t sheltered so it was more an experience of a different life than my kids see at home. Your kids are younger so you probably won’t experience that, but it’s there. If you are sensitive to that, you really might enjoy the ship a little less crowded. We were off the ship for the least amount of time in Ensenada and returned to relax in the ship. 

I'll never hear the end of it if my son is offered any of that stuff!  😂  

58 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

Thanks everyone for all the information!  Based on all I've read, Ensenada isn't really high on my to-do list, but this trip checks off a bunch of "firsts" for my kids.  It is their first time on a plane; their first time cruising; and, their first time out of the country.  We want to do just enough in Ensenada that they can say they've been to Mexico!  

We are on this same cruise (have you found a roll call board?).  We are going to see the folklórico show as it seems to get good reviews.  

Have you received an offer to bid to upgrade?  There are a lot of rooms left, but I can't seem to upgrade.

On 11/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, Amy G said:

We are on this same cruise (have you found a roll call board?).  We are going to see the folklórico show as it seems to get good reviews.  

Have you received an offer to bid to upgrade?  There are a lot of rooms left, but I can't seem to upgrade.

No, I have not found a roll call board. That was the first place I "tried" to look for answers.  🙂  

I don't recall getting an offer to bid to upgrade, but I see the link to bid when I log into the Cruise Personalizer.  We have two cabins so we have no plans to upgrade since we might end up in different areas of the ship.   

edited to add... I just checked and my reservation isn't eligible for an upgrade.  Not surprising since I booked this while onboard Sky Princess with one of the half-off specials.  I was even able to get Premier package for half off.  

Edited by TN-Mountains
  • Like 1

@TN-Mountains, check your Journey view in the APP closer to your sailing. I am on the 11/25-29 sailing with same itinerary and Rock Opera production show is scheduled for the Sea Day after San Diego. 

Did you schedule your 2 Specialty dinners already. With such a short cruise, I think reservations will be pretty full.