Behind-the-Scenes Tours?

GMIAC

Does RSSC ever offer tours of the "crew-only" parts of the ship, the kitchens and food storage areas in particular? I'm fascinating with the logistics of ordering, receiving, prepping, etc., all the meals for 1,500 people for a whole week.

They used to offer galley and bridge tours. This was pre-COVID. When I asked last December they weren't offering them due to COVID. This may have changed. Check with the main desk when you board, and they'll let you know whether the tours are back. If yes, the first so many who ask will get notice of the day/time of the tour a couple days in advance. RSVP yes or no (depending on your excursion schedule or whatever), so that someone else can have your spot if you can't make it.

We always asked about an engine room tour, but that was never on offer.

1 hour ago, RELS said:

They used to offer galley and bridge tours. This was pre-COVID. When I asked last December they weren't offering them due to COVID. This may have changed. Check with the main desk when you board, and they'll let you know whether the tours are back. If yes, the first so many who ask will get notice of the day/time of the tour a couple days in advance. RSVP yes or no (depending on your excursion schedule or whatever), so that someone else can have your spot if you can't make it.

We always asked about an engine room tour, but that was never on offer.

I second checking with Guest relations.   Pre-covid that always worked for us.

I had dinner last night with the F&B manager (also the head of housekeeping) and at least on the Explorer, it doesn’t sound like any of the behind-the-scenes tours (galley, laundry, bridge and/or stage) will be happening anytime soon.  (Usual COVID/security/safety reasons given.) 

Maybe if you are staying in the Regent Suite or have Titanium status it might be different but for the rest of us, no go. (I did ask!🙁)

• Thanks 2

I follow "karissaeats" on UTube; she has over 1 million followers as she tries food around the world AND she has a sub-topic titled "life of a singer on a cruise line" It's her activities on the Splendor - great short videos of behind the scenes as well as in public spaces! I was in awe of her crew cabin and the female dressing area backstage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

I follow "karissaeats" on UTube…

One of the topics of convo with F&B Manager was if Regent “sanctions” crew who create YT videos about their life onboard. I asked because I had seen crew on other cruise lines with their own YouTube channels (and quite frankly they make more from YouTube than they make from their cruise job. I was telling one of our waiters that he would be a great YT personality and that there are a lot of people who would be interested in his life “behind the scenes.” Maybe not as glamorous as a performer but I’d be interested if done well.)

Of course the F&B Manager didn’t think it would be a good idea… 🙃

Years ago on the Mariner Chef Tobias took us on a galley tour that ended up extended and we got to go below where the large coolers, freezers, and storage areas were. Deck 2 & 3. 

Now that was really really neat. 

Course they don't do that anymore.

I believe you need to go to Destination service and ask about galley tours. 

They might allow bridge tours while we are on our seas days. Guess you can ask and find out.