On board account

di T

Hi Guys, does anyone know if you can go to guest relations at the start of the cruise and put cash on your account? I have quite a lot of USD and thought to take them on my cruise and deposit them to the account it would keep my bill down a bit.

1 hour ago, di T said:

Hi Guys, does anyone know if you can go to guest relations at the start of the cruise and put cash on your account? I have quite a lot of USD and thought to take them on my cruise and deposit them to the account it would keep my bill down a bit.

Yes you can. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Senior said:

This is what the link should have displayed

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to your Onboard account. Sign up when you check in, establishing your method of payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB Card, Diner's Club. You may also use your debit card however please be advised that we obtain pre-authorisation, as we do for all Credit Cards, and some banks hold these funds for up to 30 days. The maximum initial pre-authorisation amount for all credit and debit cards is $300. Cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance.

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Traveller's Check / Cash Procedures

A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300 USD per person
Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person
More than 7 days - $450 USD per person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed on board.

• Like 1

You can deposit any amount of cash to your on board account, and in fact if you desire you can secure your account with a CC and then make payments to your account as you go to reduce your CC bill.

3 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

"does anyone know if you can go to guest relations at the start of the cruise and put cash on your account"

I know

LOL, reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would ask me "can you check to see if we got any mail?" and I'd go out to the mailbox, come back empty-handed and say "yes, we did." 🤣

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

LOL, reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would ask me "can you check to see if we got any mail?" and I'd go out to the mailbox, come back empty-handed and say "yes, we did." 🤣

I thought you'd say, "yeah, I can." Then walk away and go outside to play.

• Like 1

I bring 2 debit cards in the amounts of 500 and 300 for a total of 800.  I provide the 500 card when I board which should cover any expenses that I will have.  I will be paying before we leave 2-2 pks of coupons to be used at specialty restaurants along with 4 others that I will receive and before we leave I am buying a special dinner at La Bistro which includes a bottle of wine and 2 photos of us taken in their studio.

The DC will be used for martini classes, anything  that I will buy to take back with me, and if I order a drink over the 15 which is charged to your account,   Tips will be paid for in cash along with gambling,  I got the 300 DC just in case I run low but I do not think that will happen,  This card will be used for a special dinner when we get back to celebrate her birthday.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zqvol said:

You can deposit any amount of cash to your on board account, and in fact if you desire you can secure your account with a CC and then make payments to your account as you go to reduce your CC bill.

That’s what I thought thankyou

21 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

yes, and there is no minimum amount that you have to put on the account.  I know the site makes it look like you have to put $300 as a minimum, but you don't.

That’s good to know because I thought of putting $500 on the account then saw on NCL website it was $450 per person! Wouldn’t want to be travelling with a thousand dollars plus other currencies.

6 hours ago, di T said:

That’s good to know because I thought of putting $500 on the account then saw on NCL website it was $450 per person! Wouldn’t want to be travelling with a thousand dollars plus other currencies.

The $450 you mention is required if you do not secure your account with a credit card.

As long as you do provide a card, you may deposit your cash as desired - it will be used to cover the charges to you onboard account until used up. If you do not give then a CC, then charges are limited to the amount of the cash deposited and the deposit is the amount that you read about.. 

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

The $450 you mention is required if you do not secure your account with a credit card.

As long as you do provide a card, you may deposit your cash as desired - it will be used to cover the charges to you onboard account until used up. If you do not give then a CC, then charges are limited to the amount of the cash deposited and the deposit is the amount that you read about.. 

thankyou for your information it’s very useful! 

3 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

this is not true.  You never have to put $450.  I never put a credit card on my account, and I usually put $10 or $20 on my account.  You can actually put nothing if you want, but you won't be able to get the free drinks since the card would be closed to charging.  It's the reason I put a few bucks on the account and just go get it back on the last night

I should add that now that I get the OBC for owning NCL stocks, I no longer even put cash on my account at all.  I just let the OBC fund the account.  Once again, I've never put a CC on my account.

Edited by dbrown84

7 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

this is not true.  You never have to put $450.  I never put a credit card on my account, and I usually put $10 or $20 on my account.  You can actually put nothing if you want, but you won't be able to get the free drinks since the card would be closed to charging.  It's the reason I put a few bucks on the account and just go get it back on the last night

I should add that now that I get the OBC for owning NCL stocks, I no longer even put cash on my account at all.  I just let the OBC fund the account.  Once again, I've never put a CC on my account.

Perhaps the wording by NCL is misleading (shocking!).

But you certainly need to deposit some funds - having your account locked and by your own comment having it blocked for all uses is not fun at all.

Per NCL:

Traveler’s Check / Cash Procedures

A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300 USD per person
Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person
More than 7 days - $450 USD per person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.