Help on transport from airport to hotel in business district

kccpa

Hi all!,

This is a really late ask.  I'm leaving from the US in about 2 days to Sydney.  I'm leaving out of LAX and I have another friend leaving behind me later the next day from Dallas.  We are both staying in your beautiful country for almost 3 1/2 weeks which equates to a sizeable amount of luggage.  We are ladies of a certain age who are not able to lug...slug...drag...our luggage or we will be falling all over them and that would be the end of our vacation most likely.  

I'm not opposed to taking Uber or such if you all think it's safe for a later 60 something.  My friend is in her early 80's.  The hotel does offer a shuttle which they post online is AUD 132.  I know that I and my friend can't manage your subway system and the bus systems with our luggage.  Way beyond our physical abilities at this time.   

I'm thinking to get my friend the hotel shuttle.  But if there is an easier route such as a car hire/limo service that would be easier for her, then I would happily arrange it for her. 

What do you all think is easier?  I have much arthritis which is why it would be hard to drag my luggage a long distance.  Is Uber easy?  Should I get the hotel shuttle?  Or hire a driver?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Many thanks!!

Kathy

57 minutes ago, kccpa said:

Hi all!,

This is a really late ask.  I'm leaving from the US in about 2 days to Sydney.  I'm leaving out of LAX and I have another friend leaving behind me later the next day from Dallas.  We are both staying in your beautiful country for almost 3 1/2 weeks which equates to a sizeable amount of luggage.  We are ladies of a certain age who are not able to lug...slug...drag...our luggage or we will be falling all over them and that would be the end of our vacation most likely.  

I'm not opposed to taking Uber or such if you all think it's safe for a later 60 something.  My friend is in her early 80's.  The hotel does offer a shuttle which they post online is AUD 132.  I know that I and my friend can't manage your subway system and the bus systems with our luggage.  Way beyond our physical abilities at this time.   

I'm thinking to get my friend the hotel shuttle.  But if there is an easier route such as a car hire/limo service that would be easier for her, then I would happily arrange it for her. 

What do you all think is easier?  I have much arthritis which is why it would be hard to drag my luggage a long distance.  Is Uber easy?  Should I get the hotel shuttle?  Or hire a driver?

Many thanks!!

Kathy

Once you exit the international terminal, there will be plenty of taxis available. A taxi will be much easier to manage than a shuttle and much cheaper. $132 seems very expensive for one person. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kccpa said:

Hi all!,

Many thanks!!

Kathy

As Possum said, there will be a taxi rank with plenty of taxis. The taxi marshal will help if necessary. The fare should be no more than $65 even with tolls, airport fees etc. If the traffic is at a standstill, it could maybe be $10 - $15 more.  Make sure that the meter is running and that you get a receipt with his name and taxi number. There is absolutely no need to tip. The driver or anyone else anywhere. So please don't.

It is perfectly safe for both yourself and your friend at any time of the day or night so even though I made it sound like there could be a problem, it is only that some complaints of overcharging tourists have been made.

• Like 1

Thank both you and Possum.  A taxi sounds very easy.  And appreciate the advice on tipping.  It's so ingrained on us in the US.  It will take some getting used to but a nice getting used to.

Thanks much and so looking forward to visiting your beautiful country!

Kathy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised from Sydney pre Covid. Had checked the taxi fare online before we travelled..was showing about $60 Australian at the time.

When we arrived at the International Terminal, we took a taxi from the official taxi rank to an hotel in the Rocks area. (2 Adults with two large suitcases and two rollaboards)

We were disappointed to find we were actually charged $120 Australian.  Was leaving the airport at about 8am on a wet, miserable day when traffic was slightly backed up…but this was double what we’d been told !!!

Edited by Reina del Mar

On our first trip to Sydney a few years ago we hailed a taxi right outside the airport and despite all the messages I had read on CC re fares into Sydney and to ask the driver to take the tunnel, he told us that the tunnel was backed up with traffic and we had to use the local roads.  We crawled along and once we got to our hotel, found that the taxi ride was costing us double what was suggested on CC.  I think the taxi driver took us on road level streets rather than the tunnel on purpose as we didn't know the city at all and we ended up paying way more than we thought the ride was going to be.  This was on a Sunday too and not sure why the tunnel would have been packed with traffic.  A lot of us who are visiting a new city for the first time and don't know any better seem to be at the mercy of taxi drivers.

Barb

5 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

We cruised from Sydney pre Covid. Had checked the taxi fare online before we travelled..was showing about $60 Australian at the time.

When we arrived at the International Terminal, we took a taxi from the official taxi rank to an hotel in the Rocks area. (2 Adults with two large suitcases and two rollaboards)

We were disappointed to find we were actually charged $120 Australian.  Was leaving the airport at about 8am on a wet, miserable day when traffic was slightly backed up…but this was double what we’d been told !!!

Did you query the amount charged? I certainly would have. 

1 hour ago, matamanoa said:

On our first trip to Sydney a few years ago we hailed a taxi right outside the airport and despite all the messages I had read on CC re fares into Sydney and to ask the driver to take the tunnel, he told us that the tunnel was backed up with traffic and we had to use the local roads.  We crawled along and once we got to our hotel, found that the taxi ride was costing us double what was suggested on CC.  I think the taxi driver took us on road level streets rather than the tunnel on purpose as we didn't know the city at all and we ended up paying way more than we thought the ride was going to be.  This was on a Sunday too and not sure why the tunnel would have been packed with traffic.  A lot of us who are visiting a new city for the first time and don't know any better seem to be at the mercy of taxi drivers.

Barb

When we have used taxis from the domestic terminal into Sydney CBD, travelling both through local streets and the tunnel, and various days of the week including weekends, we have never paid more than $65. Weekend traffic is nearly as bad as weekday traffic depending on where you are going. Any roads to the CBD are going to be busy. 

We will be taking a cab from Marriot to the airport in January.  Would I assume that if we catch the cab at the hotel that they will more likely charge a reasonable fare?  Should we ask the taxi captain at the hotel what an appropriate cost would be and confirm it with driver prior to leaving?

On 11/23/2023 at 11:45 AM, PasadenaDave said:

We will be taking a cab from Marriot to the airport in January.  Would I assume that if we catch the cab at the hotel that they will more likely charge a reasonable fare?  Should we ask the taxi captain at the hotel what an appropriate cost would be and confirm it with driver prior to leaving?

Yes!  Have a great trip!  I love Australia and hope to return some day.

~Nancy