Cunard Stops Homeporting in Oz 2026

35 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Stickers?
I’ve come across togs, swimming togs, swimmers, bathers, bathing costume, cossi, and even swimming trunks. 
Then there’s board shorts or boardies, the Americans have "jams", rashies, bikinis, and a one-piece. 
I’ve heard Speedos (I think that’s a brand name too) called budgie smugglers or even DTs (and don’t ask what that stands for) 😱

But "stickers" is a new one on me. 🤷‍♂️

Just don't go goggling it.

Fair to say, that these don't meet Cunard's formal night dining room minimum dress standards. See, back on topic. 😁

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think there are so many different names for togs because Aussies live in the water at the beach or in dams and rivers in the bush.  Annette Kellerman, the long distance swimmer, pushed for women to wear practical swimsuits.  She cut off the bottom of the men's swimsuits.  She became known as the "million dollar mermaid" and a movie was made of her life.  She was my great aunt's sister. 

Our tilly which I can picture, where I sat in the back with my cousins on our long day trips to Bribe Island, had a small round front. It was a squash for three adults to sit on the bench seat in the front.  My first car was a Hillman Minx station wagon, which used to belong to Annette and Jimmy.  It was his pride and joy.  He used to drive it to the footpath and back, when he could no longer renew his licence.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

I think Cosi must be a NSW thing, grew up in Vic and it was get your togs there too.

Togs is not used much in Victoria these days. My children and grandchildren call them bathers. But certainly when I was growing up in country Victoria we put our togs on to go to the beach or the pool.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Our tilly which I can picture, where I sat in the back with my cousins on our long day trips to Bribe Island, had a small round front. It was a squash for three adults to sit on the bench seat in the front.  My first car was a Hillman Minx station wagon, which used to belong to Annette and Jimmy.  It was his pride and joy.  He used to drive it to the footpath and back, when he could no longer renew his licence.  

Back to cruising, Annette and Jimmy spent their lives cruising the world with a huge metal trunk.  I was asked whether I would like it, but what would I do with a huge trunk.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Togs is not used much in Victoria these days. My children and grandchildren call them bathers. But certainly when I was growing up in country Victoria we put our togs on to go to the beach or the pool.

My grandmother called togs bathers (English bathing costume).  NSW called them Cosis.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My grandmother called togs bathers (English bathing costume).  NSW called them Cosis.

I’m a NSW girl.  Packed a port for hols or school, and swam in togs.  My cousins called them cosis, so I thought that was what they were meant to be, and as a young teenager, followed suit (pun intended). Much later, I can remember togs morphed into swimmers, which is what our kids called them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I’m a NSW girl.  Packed a port for hols or school, and swam in togs.  My cousins called them cosis, so I thought that was what they were meant to be, and as a young teenager, followed suit (pun intended). Much later, I can remember togs morphed into swimmers, which is what our kids called them.

Interesting how language evolves.  There are parts of the US where they still use some of the language from the "Old Country".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Interesting how language evolves.  There are parts of the US where they still use some of the language from the "Old Country".

The "Old Country" in USA could be any of 100++ countries around the world.🙂

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

The "Old Country" in USA could be any of 100++ countries around the world.🙂

yes I meant all old countries.  I had visited USA many times before I visited Scandinavia.  I remember saying you've got barns just like America.  The farmer replied they have barns like ours.  Seems they had immigrated to the US from Scandinavia.  

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

yes I meant all old countries.  I had visited USA many times before I visited Scandinavia.  I remember saying you've got barns just like America.  The farmer replied they have barns like ours.  Seems they had immigrated to the US from Scandinavia.  

William McInnes has a new book "Yeah, Nah"  A lingo of our own. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Sydney born & bred - was always a "Gregorys".

Now a GPS 🙂 

I love that GPS when I'm overseas or Sydney.  

We got one from Aldis when they first came out.  We took a scenic route south to Melbourne.  We laughed all the way as it tried to tell you to drive through the bush on non existent roads.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I love that GPS when I'm overseas or Sydney.  

We got one from Aldis when they first came out.  We took a scenic route south to Melbourne.  We laughed all the way as it tried to tell you to drive through the bush on non existent roads.  

Oh yes definitely in Sydney, with out the GPS I'd have grey hair, well actually I do have grey hair, but that's because I drove in Sydney before GPS's.

Even now the GPS tells me turn right at next street, all good except its a one way street with a big red do not enter sign.....

what about a Melways  ??   in Dad's library is edtion 1  from 1966..  it is scary to how much empty land was in melbourne  and no real freeways....  and good old days lol

time for a wee dram    cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

I still use ye olde UBD, they are cheap these days.

Do they still make them? I still have a Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong, Blue Mountains, ACT edition.

I can also remember going into the NRMA to the map section to get the freebies whenever you were going on a road trip.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

Do they still make them? I still have a Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong, Blue Mountains, ACT edition.

I can also remember going into the NRMA to the map section to get the freebies whenever you were going on a road trip.

I remember we had a whole series of those free maps from the RACQ when we did our road trip from Bundaberg to Cairns in 1982. Mum, Dad, and 4 kids (11 down to 2) in an XD Falcon station wagon. I’d much rather travel by cruise ship!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I remember we had a whole series of those free maps from the RACQ when we did our road trip from Bundaberg to Cairns in 1982. Mum, Dad, and 4 kids (11 down to 2) in an XD Falcon station wagon. I’d much rather travel by cruise ship!

I still have all my AA maps and accommodation books.  Oh the joys of long distance car trips with kids in the back.  How did your family fit four?  They didn't have the extra row of seats in 1982.  My girlfriend had three children.  The youngest had to sit in the middle of the back seat and look straight ahead, not look out the older two's windows!! I had two girls with the Esky in the middle of the back seat. Decided two was a good number without buying a bigger car.

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I still have all my AA maps and accommodation books.  Oh the joys of long distance car trips with kids in the back.  How did your family fit four?  They didn't have the extra row of seats in 1982.  My girlfriend had three children.  The youngest had to sit in the middle of the back seat and look straight ahead, not look out the older two's windows!! I had two girls with the Esky in the middle of the back seat. Decided two was a good number without buying a bigger car.

We had a bench seat in the front. So Mum, Dad, and 11yo in the front. 8yo, 6yo, and 2yo in car seat in the back. 
At least we had air conditioning. 
In about 1988 the six of us did a road trip from Bundaberg to Thredbo and return in the same vehicle. Mum, Dad, and 17yo in the front, 14yo, 12yo, and 8yo in the back! 😱

That was probably our last family road trip. 

3 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

We had a bench seat in the front. So Mum, Dad, and 11yo in the front. 8yo, 6yo, and 2yo in car seat in the back. 
At least we had air conditioning. 
In about 1988 the six of us did a road trip from Bundaberg to Thredbo and return in the same vehicle. Mum, Dad, and 17yo in the front, 14yo, 12yo, and 8yo in the back! 😱

That was probably our last family road trip. 

Oh yes I forgot about the front bench seat.  Did you used to stop at parks with play equipment en route.  We did. What kind of accomodation did you stay with a family of six?