Specialty Dinning Gratuities

cruisegal1970

43 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

Regarding the suggestions above about bringing gifts for the crew, I would recommend heavily against this. Imagine you are living in an area about the size of a double bed - how much extra crap do you really want? From discussions I've had with crew, most of the gifts they are given get thrown out.

I took that comment as a joke..a pretty good one. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

From discussions I've had with crew, most of the gifts they are given get thrown out.

I been insulted in my day, but, this one " takes the cake " --or, maybe it doesn't !!

OH, wait a second---- you said " most ", ok, that's better.

As per the suggestion ( joke) in post #11:

" Bring the Staff some souvenirs from home, like a key chain or a stuffed teddy bear, or even a fruit cake ".

I gotta be honest----- Those suggestions were not mine--- I got them from "Gratuities" threads where folks posted them as serious ideas.

My favorite is the fruit cake.

A key chain with the Montreal Canadiens logo---- now, that's a " good " one-- along with a $100.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, horseymike said:

When the “ specialty dining “ was in its early stages, the added fee was supposedly to pay the staff in the specialty restaurants for the “ added “ service . Now he we are paying $$$$$ for specialty restaurants + 20 % gratuity. 

Agreed, plus receiving no credit for the meal already paid for via the cruise fee- a triple whammy. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, hcat said:

with the increased added specialty dining grats,  we no longer add extra..cash or  extra to the bill...

We do but only if the server goes over and above.  The last time we did, as we ordered our server recommended some changes to what we ordered that turned out to be fantastic.  I tipped an additional 10%. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 5:04 PM, hcat said:

with the increased added specialty dining grats,  we no longer add extra..cash or  extra to the bill...

Agree--20% automatically added is very fair for the Server, especially when the Specialty restaurant charge used to be the tip, with an option on the bottom of the bill to "add an additional gratuity".

Question: Why does Celebrity now add a 20% gratuity ???

Answer: Too many people didn't leave a tip---Yea, I know, the tip is already paid in the daily Gratuities, so why should I pay any more ? So, why tip a Bar Tender ?

12 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We do but only if the server goes over and above.  The last time we did, as we ordered our server recommended some changes to what we ordered that turned out to be fantastic.  I tipped an additional 10%. 

that would be worth extra it...do u add to the bill or cash?

7 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Agree--20% automatically added is very fair for the Server, especially when the Specialty restaurant charge used to be the tip, with an option on the bottom of the bill to "add an additional gratuity".

Question: Why does Celebrity now add a 20% gratuity ???

Answer: Too many people didn't leave a tip---Yea, I know, the tip is already paid in the daily Gratuities, so why should I pay any more ? So, why tip a Bar Tender ?

Bartender does not participate in the gratuity pool and the point is moot as the Bartender tip is added automatically on a per order basis. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:09 AM, Pinboy said:

I been insulted in my day, but, this one " takes the cake " --or, maybe it doesn't !!

OH, wait a second---- you said " most ", ok, that's better.

As per the suggestion ( joke) in post #11:

" Bring the Staff some souvenirs from home, like a key chain or a stuffed teddy bear, or even a fruit cake ".

I gotta be honest----- Those suggestions were not mine--- I got them from "Gratuities" threads where folks posted them as serious ideas.

My favorite is the fruit cake.

A key chain with the Montreal Canadiens logo---- now, that's a " good " one-- along with a $100.

I knew that...remember the thread(s) well...you left out the little notes with inspirational phrases...lol...

Edited by dlh015
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

I knew that...remember the thread(s) well...you left out the little notes with inspirational phrases...lol...

“ inspirational phases “—

I always bring some — They have numbers on them ..

The higher the number, the wider the smile on the Staff member”s face.

They prefer US  better than Canadian ( $$$ ) .

Edited by Pinboy
  • Haha 2

We routinely go to specialty dining 3-5 times per cruise. We typically bring $5,$10 and $20 each night and tip an additional amount based on the service. Usually we average $15 a night based on past history plus  the standard gratuity already paid with the reservation. 

Usually the service is exceptional and we try and get the same server later in the week when we return to repeat restaurants.  I understand not wanting now wanting to provide additional tips beyond the included 20%(especially if the service is not great)  but for us this is part of our cruise cost and we want to reward great service and food which is why we choose the specialty restaurant route. 

• Like 2