Captain’s Table

We actually prefer the "Cheers" format to the old "lunch" format.  I love how they now come in, say a few words, make a fake toast and then off they go.  Having some junior officer (obviously having drawn the "short" straw) stuck at a table, looking and sounding as if he/she would rather be ANYwhere else, was uncomfortable to me.  We had completely stopped going to the lunch but we now NEVER miss the Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

We actually prefer the "Cheers" format to the old "lunch" format.  I love how they now come in, say a few words, make a fake toast and then off they go.  Having some junior officer (obviously having drawn the "short" straw) stuck at a table, looking and sounding as if he/she would rather be ANYwhere else, was uncomfortable to me.  We had completely stopped going to the lunch but we now NEVER miss the Cheers.

Wow, you walked out on a complimentary filet mignon.   Not sure why though.   

Our experience was completely different.  We enjoyed chatting with the person in charge of the laundry and the officer in charge of air conditioning.  They all enjoyed talking about their jobs, their families and a time away from their regular routine.

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Wow, you walked out on a complimentary filet mignon.   Not sure why though.   

Our experience was completely different.  We enjoyed chatting with the person in charge of the laundry and the officer in charge of air conditioning.  They all enjoyed talking about their jobs, their families and a time away from their regular routine.

Is she a pinnacle?  Allure keeps giving me another cut, I should keep the menu. It's tough. Radiance gave me a nice fillet. Allure not in 4 cruises. Went twice. Better steak in the Mdr for dinner.

Pinnacles get the fillet on allure. I'm figuring 5 years maybe i could be pinnacle, then I'd go. Sorry I missed the old lunch with a officer. Dont care about wine or not. I'll probably go on harmony but if not improved once will be enough. Missed it on oasis lol. I'm hit or miss. Mdr better and that's not a compliment. B2b lunch is nice. Short ribs. I like those. Not a tough steak. 

To answer OP's original question. The Captain's Table on formal night is a thing of the past since the restart. Just like you don't get pictures with the captain either. On Celebrity we could buy a photo of ourselves with the captain photoshopped in for the same price as him actually being there.

• Haha 2

Yes, it seems that it is a thing of the past. That big table just sits there, unused, during cruise after cruise.

We had several such invitations back in the 90s and early 2000s.  All very nice experiences.  It appears that in those days, there had to be some evidence that the man had a tuxedo, and perhaps that the invitees were capable of good give-and-take dinner conversation.  Then high-end cabins became more numerous, and invitations more frequently went to passengers in suites.  Then it just faded away.  I don't foresee it coming back.

• Like 2

It has occurred to me that with a few of our invitations, they came from the Social Hostess, a position that I haven't seen for years.  Card signed by the Captain, but probably co-signed by her, and met by her for the pre-dinner chat and introductions.

Edited by shipgeeks
add