How do you clean your jewelry?

shipgeeks

Mrs. B replying here!!

I use a small container that’s big enough to hold the piece. I’ll squirt a bit of glass cleaner (without ammonia) into the container (I tend to use a small lid from a bottle…think size of Worcestershire bottle) then put in my diamonds or other sturdy stones into the liquid to soak a minute or two. Then brush with a small brush or even a clean, old toothbrush. Rinse well and dry. I also blow through the prongs to help remove any excess water.

NOTE: don’t do this on pearls, turquoise or likely any other opaque semi-precious gem, or opals!! Be gentle with emeralds and any stones that may have been treated to make them look better than the stone would be in its natural state as use of chemicals could change the look of the stone.

I will occasionally use silver polish on my sterling pieces, being careful to avoid any gems as the polish gunks up the setting. But once polished (and for pieces with the softer stones as mentioned above) you can keep sterling shiny & tarnish free with a jewelers rouge cloth. I also keep anti-tarnish strips in my jewelry boxes; it’s the air that causes tarnish.

The jewelers rouge cloth also will shine up gold & platinum metal.

I think for other metals and rhinestones, maybe only use water and a gentle brushing. Be aware that our costume jewelry may have parts that were glued…if that glue is water based…well, you might end up with stones getting loose and falling out.

When in doubt (especially with softer stones, rhinestones, and non-precious metals), less is more and maybe doing nothing is better. And if you have a trusted jeweler, then have them clean pieces you are unsure of (pay attention to what they do so you can do it the next time).

You also might do an internet search regarding the metal or stone you want to clean and read several ideas about how others do this. I’m betting there are jewelers and/or manufacturers who have put instructions out there.

I’ve only said what I do; I’m not a jeweler or an expert on this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I keep my good stuff (diamonds, gold jewelry) in jewelers cloths or boxes, and use anti tarnish strips too in the drawer. When I clean them I use Hagertys for fine jewelry. I dunk them with the basket and use a soft brush if necessary, like on the prongs of my engagement ring (though not usually needed on other stuff because I never use hairspray etc with the good jewelry on). Then rinse well in warm water. Roll in a soft towel to dry.

You can get a similar product for costume jewelry, but never use it on fine jewelry and vice versa. Never use any of these on stones that may be softer or porous like Mrs B said... opal, turquoise, lapis.

I just use silver polish for silver jewelry,  but keep it only on the metal parts not any decorations. I use a qtip to get the nooks and crannies.

• Like 3

I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I use for anything that needs to sparkle. I add a drop of dishwashing detergent and a bit of rubbing alcohol to the HOT water and let the machine do its thing. 

For things that can't go into that solution (all mentioned by the posters above), I either use cleaning cloths (Hagerty makes some, I've had a box for years) OR I wash in the sink with face cleanser. A lot of my necklaces get dirty mostly because of body oil or lotions so gentle face cleansing lotion works well on that. Last week I came upon a thick silver necklace that was filthy. A few minutes in hot water then a scrub with face wash on a face cloth did the trick. 

• Like 2

for while on ship:

For costume jewelry like rhinestones a soft toothbrush a a dab of toothpaste works very well.  

for silver and things with semiprecious stones like lapis and turquoise use a silver polishing cloth. I just cut a small strip for my travels. 

gold and gemstones do well with just sudsy water such as hand washing.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Any idea what's in the cleaner?

Good question!  I wonder if my eyeglass cleaning spray would be a good choice to use?

I should probably accept the fact that my wedding band gets wet/soapy/moisturized all the time, so no cleaner is going to hurt it.

But after ruining a pin in high school by trying to make it sparkle more, I have a concern mostly about costume earrings, metal plus stones.  Will toothpaste and old toothbrush lead to the stone getting waterlogged and falling out, for example?

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Good question!  I wonder if my eyeglass cleaning spray would be a good choice to use?

I should probably accept the fact that my wedding band gets wet/soapy/moisturized all the time, so no cleaner is going to hurt it.

But after ruining a pin in high school by trying to make it sparkle more, I have a concern mostly about costume earrings, metal plus stones.  Will toothpaste and old toothbrush lead to the stone getting waterlogged and falling out, for example?

Toothpaste is for base metals like surgical steel and rhinestones which are usually set by prong settings not glue. You don’t want to use it on stone cabochons like lapis, malachite and turquoise.  Toothpaste is basically soap and an abrasive “softer” than  teeth and “”softer” than most commonly used stones. Rhinestones won’t get waterlogged anymore than your glassware you drink from.  Oh, don’t put anything in the dishwasher either, the chemicals in dishwashing cleaner can be awfully harsh. And always use water at room temperature, sudden temperature changes can ruin the best gemstones.  

gold can handle almost anything hence its worldwide appeal but needs little except hand washing. People use sonic cleaners mainly for items which have lots of intricacies, nooks and crannies. 

Never use ammonia on any jewelry.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Any idea what's in the cleaner?

It’s the same cleaner they use in their ultrasonic cleaner. Sorry, I don’t know what it contains, but works well on diamonds & gold

• Like 1

Mrs B here again regarding the rhinestones: some rhinestones are not actually clear all the way through like a real gemstone is. Take special care as many rhinestones have a metallic backing that could be removed if using anything abrasive like a brush…and keep in mind that toothpaste can be abrasive.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have worked in several jewelry stores and the product I use and swear by is called Grandma's Secret Jewely Cleaner. Comes in a small spray bottle so easy to pack. I simply rinse my jewelry in cold water to loosen dirt and spray on some grandma's and use a baby's toothbrush and rinse again.  You patt dry and poof...it sparkles as if it has been steamed by a pro. They sell it on Amazon. Your diamonds especially will be seen from space.😁 Lord I sound like a sales spokesperson.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...