Interesting new listing on Eurodam's MDR menu today....

canadarocks

10 hours ago, johnmik1 said:

No idea how to clear the app cache.Any advice is appreciated.

If you post your phone and operating system, someone can probably help. For example, Pixel 7 Pro running Android 14 or whatever you've got.

I like these "Classic" offerings. Hopefully the program gains traction and we will see these options on our next cruise in 2025. It gives everyone an opportunity of an extra choice and by coincidence Club Orange has 2 extra choices. This feels like a small step in a good direction.

On 11/12/2023 at 5:54 AM, canadianbear said:

This is what is showing on our Navigator App for dining tonight 

IMG_0677.jpeg

Wow!!!  Strawberry Pavlova in the MDR!!  Will save me the money that I have to spend every sea day to get one of those bad boys in the PG at lunch -- normally the only place and time they are available.

8 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Wow!!!  Strawberry Pavlova in the MDR!!  Will save me the money that I have to spend every sea day to get one of those bad boys in the PG at lunch -- normally the only place and time they are available.

I don’t even know what it looks like-have never had one!

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I don’t even know what it looks like-have never had one!

You will definitely get different descriptions and expectations for Pavlova. I'm not sure many Aussies or Kiwis will comment favourably on a cruise ship version. I'm certainly no aficionado, I will try the cruise version but suspect it will differ greatly from what we get in Australia and New Zealand when we visit there.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Really.  They have been available for a long time.  Many afternoons you can even pick them up on the Lido.  

It’s probably because I didn’t know what they were so never ordered them.  If it’s a meringue looking dessert that could be why?

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

It’s probably because I didn’t know what they were so never ordered them.  If it’s a meringue looking dessert that could be why?

It is exactly that, I'm told by those down under that if properly prepared it will be crisp but not hard on the outside and it will be soft inside but not runny. It will be white outside not browned like a lemon meringue pie. And just like many different special dishes whatever they serve won't be as good as mom used to make.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It is exactly that, I'm told by those down under that if properly prepared it will be crisp but not hard on the outside and it will be soft inside but not runny. It will be white outside not browned like a lemon meringue pie. And just like many different special dishes whatever they serve won't be as good as mom used to make.

Ok, that would be the reason I’ve avoided it all these years!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

Ok, that would be the reason I’ve avoided it all these years!

I take it meringue isn't you thing. That's okay too. I will try them down under, I hope they are as described by my friends down there. Every time I try them around here they are hard and crunchy; and they explode when you try to bite them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

It is a meringue cookie with topping.  HAL used to make those wonderful meringue cookies now they have replaced those with this dessert.  The old fashion meringue cookies were crispy and light.  These sometimes have a gooey center and the fruit topping exacerbates the issue. 

Edited by Mary229

28 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It is a meringue cookie with topping.  HAL used to make those wonderful meringue cookies now they have replaced those with this dessert.  The old fashion meringue cookies were crispy and light.  These sometimes have a gooey center and the fruit topping exacerbates the issue. 

The gooey Pavlova center actually proves it is the real thing -- down under. Not sure what the trick is, but it is what I shoot for when I make them at home. Topped with sweetened yogurt or sour cream makes all the flavors and textures come together.  

A very simple dessert to keep handy when you have some nice juicy fresh fruit - I even  use powdered egg whites and it comes out just fine.

NZ friends recipe:  Just mix all the ingredients together in single mixing bowl: three egg whites, one cup sugar, one teaspoon malt vinegar, three tablespoons hot water. Then beat this combined mixture with a whisk attachment  on high speed for 10 minutes. It expands into a stiff meringue  

Use a rubber spatula to shape meringue "bowls" (large or small) on a parchment paper covered  baking sheet.  I draw the shapes on the parchment paper with a pencil outline depending on how many I need to make.

250F oven for one hour. Then leave in the turned off oven for another half hour. You can make  these shells ahead of time, but store them in a cool, dry place. They are somewhat fragile.

Recipe straight from New Zealand - but then what do they know since the battle over who first served this to Madame Pavlova continues to rage today between Australia and New Zealand.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 6:35 PM, canadianbear said:

This us  both menus for tonight, one with club orange and one without (our friends have the one without) 

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

My favorite waiter and Facebook friend Aframe Remulla posted a photo on his story and when I saw it I knew it had to be the seafood timbale.  He is on the Eurodam currently.   Looked really tasty. 

9 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

My favorite waiter and Facebook friend Aframe Remulla posted a photo on his story and when I saw it I knew it had to be the seafood timbale.  He is on the Eurodam currently.   Looked really tasty. 

My husband had that last night and said it was very good.  

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 3:29 AM, OlsSalt said:

I think I will have the Jerk Lamb,  the Flat Iron Chimichurri; the Turkey with Dressing, and  the Seafood Newburg .............thank you very much.

Too many good choices, and I don't want to spoil my appetite for the Strawberry Pavlova and the Chocolate Caramel Tart. Thanks for sharing this.

Hope they soon add a Micro-portion Tasters Menu, so we can truly have it all.   😁

Last holland america cruise I was on the buffet at night had the items from the MDR, except the soups.