Better ship or better itinerary??

doolfan

On 11/11/2023 at 9:41 AM, doolfan said:

I’m trying to plan a once in a lifetime Alaskan cruise. The other day I asked about heaven vs 2 aft facing balconies on Bliss for Alaska. The response was all haven so I booked it. But then I’ve continued reading and it sounds like overall Norwegian is not recommended so much for Alaska. So I decided to look into HAL or Princess but I just kept coming back to Norwegian. I have now found a trip on Norwegian Jade that has all the things I want for Alaska (inside passage, glacier bay and Skagway, ALL places Bliss was not going to). But Jade does not have all the things I wanted in a ship. I don’t care at all about slides, racetracks, VR etc. but I was looking forward to the very fancy Haven (Jades Haven looks lame in comparison) or at least Vibe (which Jade doesn’t have at all) so I figured I’d pay extra for spa passes, but Jade’s spa doesn’t have all the cool new things either and also looks kinda lame in comparison. Just looking for nice places to relax really!  And hot tubs!!  I’m probably spoiled because I have my first ever cruise coming up and it just happens to be on Viva. I fell in love with that itinerary and then found out it was the newest ship. Which would you choose for Alaska great luxury ship or itinerary?  Is the scenery that much better in the inside passage and glacier bay?  Would we miss out if we knew nothing else? Or if it’s a one and done for Alaska should we make sure to see the best??

I'll throw in my 2 cents: don't do NCL your first time in Alaska. I know this is the NCL board, so people will be tripping over themselves to tell you how great NCL does Alaska, but TBH, we've found the experience pales in comparison to Princess/HAL when compared head-to-head.

There's a few key things NCL doesn't do for Alaska sailings, that the other lines do. Princess/HAL have a full time naturalist onboard every ship in Alaska. We've found this invaluable, as they will lead wildlife viewings on deck, give talks on the best place to see animals, and narrate on the PA system when animals are spotted. The only place you'll get this sort of content on NCL is during Glacier Bay, when the NPS provides rangers. 

The other lines bring Alaskan food/beverages onboard. With a Princess/HAL beverage package, you've got a range of Alaskan beers to choose from, the MDR menus feature alaskan food every night, and the quick service spots will offer local food in each port  (Tracy's Crab Shack bisque, etc).

The other lines also feature a ton of culture brought directly on the ship: Libby Riddles comes on board to give a presentation about being the first woman to win the Iditarod, the Ketchikan lumberjacks come on board for passengers to try axe-throwing, etc. Princess is famous for bringing sled dog puppies in-training onto their ships for socialization and photo-ops with guests.

For a lot of passengers, stuff like this may not be important, but we've found it to be really worthwhile sailing somewhere like Alaska.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am a NCL enthusiast and absolutely think that my choice to go on HAL for Alaska was the right choice for many of the reasons you mentioned.   All ships that go to Glacier Bay are required by the National Park Service to have a park ranger on board while sailing in Glacier Bay.   HAL also had  a naturalist on board the whole cruise and would also have nature walks on sea days around the promenade deck.  The other thing to remember about Princess and HAL is, since they have been going to Alaska for so long, many of the tour vendors are grateful and dedicated to those two lines.  So they will have many of the better and more seasoned vendors for excursions.  

21 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Now I'm totally confused.  I've been a life long railfan and am now a cruise enthusiast.  I can't believe that anybody would love one and not love the other.  It's like the same thing only different.

I don't think my BF has taken a train trip like that yet...he just wants to at some point, so I'll try and make it happen only after our cruise. Of course my niece is getting married in Reno in 2025, so maybe we'll be able to make that a train trip and then fly back. So many choices!

43 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

You won't have a bad time! Alaska is amazing, and there's so much to experience we've been back multiple times, on a range of lines. 

41 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

You’re going to LOVE it!

So I am assuming if we go on our 1st trip to Alaska with NCL and we love it, the next cruise we do on a different cruise line can only be better 😁

We picked NCL as it was the only 10 day itinerary that hit almost all the places we would want to see other than Glacier Bay and with all the discounts we were able to get it was a no brainer picking a 10 day for less than a 7 day on most other cruise lines.  

Just now, wilmingtech said:

So I am assuming if we go on our 1st trip to Alaska with NCL and we love it, the next cruise we do on a different cruise line can only be better 😁

We picked NCL as it was the only 10 day itinerary that hit almost all the places we would want to see other than Glacier Bay and with all the discounts we were able to get it was a no brainer picking a 10 day for less than a 7 day on most other cruise lines.  

Alaska is where just one cruise will not suffice.  Regardless of ship or cruise line, you’ll want to go back.

Personally, I believe the NCL ships with Observation Lounges lend themselves very well to Alaska cruises.

Naturalists are all well and good.  Hearing about Alaska is one thing. But, you really want to get out and explore on your own.  

Go walk by the Glaciers.  Take a whale watching excursion!  Take a train ride in the mountains.  Talk to the locals.  They love talking about their home.  Visit a fishery.  Talk to the rangers who are around the park areas.  Go to your local library.  Read about the ports’ history and the past and current ecological status of Alaska is.  

You’ll experience so much more that way!

Sit in the Observation Lounge while pulling into any port with a favorite libation and/or drink.  Snacks are there, too!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Go to your local library.  Read about the ports’ history and the past and current ecological status of Alaska is.  

I highly recommend the "The Alaska Cruise Companion: A Mile by Mile Guide." The original was published by Princess (of course) and used to be sold onboard in Alaska. The original version was written by fisherman/Alaskan Joe Upton, with the revised version by naturalist Rachel Cartwright. They're both available used, and I can't say enough good things about either edition. Although some info is dated, most of the nature/geography/wildlife content is still excellent. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:34 AM, doolfan said:

Thank you all for your input!!  I went with the itinerary and booked on Jade!  I got a 2 bedroom room family villa that has a large picture window over the tub so that can be my “hot tub” experience. Thank you all for wonderful insightful responses, I’m very excited!!

I was going to comment, but no need, because I think you will love your choice.  The room you are refering to is wonderful!  You will also have some Haven benfits without the Haven price tag.  We went on the Jewel, did a back to back, with a club balcony,  a smaller ship a couple years ago and were so happy with our choice!  It was the cruise of a lifetime!  

Edited by WindinmySails
addition
  • Like 1