Just off the Oasis - Nov. 12

vswan

Just home from a wonderful 7 day cruise on the Oasis. Traveled with my adult daughter, just the two of us. We had a wonderful time, but then again, I find it hard to have a bad cruise.

Just a couple of notes. I have no idea who the captain or cruise director were, so can't answer that. Will be happy to answer what questions I can.

Ship - Once on a ship this big was enough for us unless there is a price and itinerary we just can't pass up. We had an outside balcony cabin - nice size for two, can't imagine with 4. Floors in the stairs and halls seemed to be wet - and so of course I had to touch it to see if it was - and yes, some areas were wet. Thought the central park area was interesting, the carousal would have been great with kids. One note - there was a kids in swim diapers swim area which is not common on a lot of ships - and is important to those with small kids. Hardly any overhead announcements and those that there were sounded jumbled and hard to understand. Overall was a nice ship, just to big for me.

Guests - I don't think I've ever been on a cruise with this much diversity. Many families with kids which was kind of surprising considering it was early November. Heard many languages and people seemed to be from all over - actually was a very interesting mix which I really appreciated.

Dining - we did not like my time dining. Made reservations in advance for most nights at the earliest times available when booking - 6:45 to 7. If you didn't have reservations, you needed to get in another line that went after all those that had them. Problem was that by the time we finished eating all of the 8ish shows were already going and we did not stay up for the late shows. I would book early dining if we did it again.

Went to the Windjammer on two nights when I didn't have reservations. Were not impressed with the evening food selection. Did do Giovanni's once and loved it. Did Park Cafe several times during the day and liked that.

Shore excursions - We booked with Resorts for a Day in Nassau - so not through the ship, didn't book anything at CocoCay or Labradee, just did the chairs and umbrella near dining and bars - it was nice. We did book a shore excursion in Jamaica - what a zoo. Everyone had to meet in a central onboard location - had several with different excursions - the lines wound around and back and down, took more than an hour to get a sticker for your shirt - then your group got off when called and met at station off the ship. Talked to someone who finally gave up after 2 1/2 hours trying to get to a beach excursion. They could have just told you to take your ticket to the station printed on the ticket and skipped the whole theater mess.

Wardrobe - I just have to go here. I have been up and down on the scale all of my life and am by no means a skinny mini. There must be a fabric shortage going on. I have never seen so many thong or nearly-thong swimsuits on people that must not own a mirror. Kudos to those who are larger divas who wanted to go to the beach and were comfortable enough to embrace it and put on swimwear - one and two piece. But thongs do not look good on many figures. My favorite moment was watching a gentleman on the chair near me bust out laughing when a woman walked by in her lace up the sides and down the front with a thong back - and she was not a small woman. And if you do look good in a thong, do not stand at the bar, pose and stroke your bare globes for all to see.

Overall a good cruise. Met a lot of nice people and look forward to my next sailing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Many families with kids which was kind of surprising considering it was early November"

A number of towns at least in nj gave the whole week off for schools due to a teacher's convention, veterans day, and diwali holiday all in same week.  That's what led us to take our 6 year old daughter on allure last week for first cruise ever, and liked the experience!

1 hour ago, njdealguy said:

"Many families with kids which was kind of surprising considering it was early November"

A number of towns at least in nj gave the whole week off for schools due to a teacher's convention, veterans day, and diwali holiday all in same week.  That's what led us to take our 6 year old daughter on allure last week for first cruise ever, and liked the experience!

Driving back from Port Canaveral on Saturday it seemed like half the cars on I 95 had New Jersey plates.

2 minutes ago, ATG said:

Driving back from Port Canaveral on Saturday it seemed like half the cars on I 95 had New Jersey plates.

Think was a good time for them to take advantage of reasonable prices that is not possible when the whole country has school off (summer, spring break, etc)

Think got a great deal on allure 4 day cruise for about $3500 in crown loft suite for the 3 of us, future dates look to be much higher!

• Like 1

The cruise director is Elvis, he is really funny if you went to any of the events he hosts (love and marriage show, the crazy quest, any of the promenade parties)   The ship is a bit big, it's why we love it, but am looking forward to stepping down a class size next year, I've been on Oasis twice this year and still feel like I haven't explored everything! 

16 hours ago, villageidit said:

He was the cruise director on our Explorer TA back in April. The zumba classes he did on the promenade were great. 

Yeah, we didn't join him for any of them, but people definitely talked about his Zumba classes (they were in Boleros on Oasis)

• Like 1