Unused excursion credit question

DShier1a

Recently booked a cruise with Have It All....what happens if we do not use the shore excursion credit.

Can the credit be applied to two different excursions....or if what you book is less than $100 do you lose the remained of the credit.

Thanks for any help, I usually just book the basic fare.

With HIA you can use the Shore Excursion credit on however many it takes to use it. If you have $100 in credit and book a SE for $70, you have $30 left to apply to another. If the next SE is $50, the $30 is applied and you pay $20 with a credit card. If you book multiple SE at once, the credit is applied to the most expensive first, then the second most expensive and so in until all is used. You then pay the remaining balance. If you later cancel the most expensive, that amount is put back into your HIA SE account - it is not applied to another SE you may have made.

If you do not use all your SE credit, you lose it. It does not become OBC and is not refunded. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The credit situation can be somewhat of a con.  Say you book some excursions (using your credit) and one or more of the excursions are cancelled by HAL.  At that point you may not have any opportunity to use those credits (i.e. no available tours or perhaps it is the last port) and you simply lose the credits with no recourse.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The credit situation can be somewhat of a con.  Say you book some excursions (using your credit) and one or more of the excursions are cancelled by HAL.  At that point you may not have any opportunity to use those credits (i.e. no available tours or perhaps it is the last port) and you simply lose the credits with no recourse.

Hank

We're currently facing similar situation. After months (literally more than 6 months) of not getting HIA added to a specific booking, we finally got it added last week - sail date is Nov 26.

There are limited ports because it's a TA. Excursion choice is now extremely limited w/some having only 1 space (we are party of 2). $200pp is too much $$ to leave on the table and actually tips the value of HIA in the wrong direction, but unless cancelations happen or more excursions are added (possible but unlikely) we won't be able to use them. Very frustrating since this could have been avoided if they had just added it to begin with.

Thanks for letting me vent.

In situations like this, the value should be converted to OBC.

27 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

We're currently facing similar situation. After months (literally more than 6 months) of not getting HIA added to a specific booking, we finally got it added last week - sail date is Nov 26.

There are limited ports because it's a TA. Excursion choice is now extremely limited w/some having only 1 space (we are party of 2). $200pp is too much $$ to leave on the table and actually tips the value of HIA in the wrong direction, but unless cancelations happen or more excursions are added (possible but unlikely) we won't be able to use them. Very frustrating since this could have been avoided if they had just added it to begin with.

I usually end up using them for city tour/airport transfers.  Perhaps no ideal but I have found those tours to be a great way to unwind before the airport.  Of course you should waitlist anything of possible interest.  You are on the move!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I usually end up using them for city tour/airport transfers.  Perhaps no ideal but I have found those tours to be a great way to unwind before the airport.  Of course you should waitlist anything of possible interest.  You are on the move!  

Another advantage of an excursion taking you somewhere and then the airport is that it makes you feel as if you are still on your cruise vacation as opposed to just getting to the airport.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

…At that point you may not have any opportunity to use those credits (i.e. no available tours or perhaps it is the last port) and you simply lose the credits with no recourse…

That just seems so unfair! Has anyone reading here successfully appealed such a scenario?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 6:03 AM, syesmar said:

That just seems so unfair! Has anyone reading here successfully appealed such a scenario?

I totally agree but have never heard of them converting to OBC. 

On 11/14/2023 at 3:59 AM, Haljo1935 said:

That is a very frustrating situation. I would suggest waitlisting (or booking one guest and waitlisting the second). There is a good possibility something may open up. I would also visit the excursion desk first thing when you get onboard and see what they can do. 

• Like 1