Avalon headsets for tours

AtlantaCruiser72

They were using the whisper type on our tour in Sept. I don't know if a Bluetooth dongle would work. They had others out that it did work with Bluetooth dongles this spring, but had a problem with them, so had to go back to the older type this summer. I've seen Globus is apparently using the wifi ones now, so hopefully by next spring they will be back to them.

• Like 1

Here is a pic of the devices.  You can use your own corded headsets or earbuds but I don’t recall seeing a way to pair a Bluetooth device.  Someone posted, back in June, that they were being removed from the ships due to one of them spontaneously combusting.  Not sure where that stands now.

7C8B437E-ECD3-4BB9-86C4-5FC70BCB02D5.thumb.jpeg.5896955b1a26d54bc93196d3ee5beade.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, *Miss G* said:

Here is a pic of the devices.  You can use your own corded headsets or earbuds but I don’t recall seeing a way to pair a Bluetooth device.  Someone posted, back in June, that they were being removed from the ships due to one of them spontaneously combusting.  Not sure where that stands now.

7C8B437E-ECD3-4BB9-86C4-5FC70BCB02D5.thumb.jpeg.5896955b1a26d54bc93196d3ee5beade.jpeg

They are no longer in your cabin.  You check them out when you leave and turn them in when you come back onboard.  

@AtlantaCruiser72 just had confirmation from cruisers that they are still using the older sets that don't give the wifi when away from the ship, you will only hear the guide. You may be able to get away with a Bluetooth transmitter, but not sure. We only had the older style for our cruise in Sept, but since they didn't have wifi, I didn't bother trying to see if a transmitter would work. 

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC the newer ones still needed a Bluetooth receiver, so I would wait until closer to your cruise and see what's happening then. I think they are hoping to go back to the new ones once they have the problems fixed.

Post a reminder closer to your cruise (July/August) and I'll see if I can get more information for you.

Edited by Daisi

21 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Thanks for the continued updates. Seems like we will be best either using their earpieces or bringing our own rather than hoping to pair with AirPods, especially as which type of device being used seems to vary by ship as well

I will be on Avalon Envision Aug 2024 and will update and let you know what we have. I have the bluetooth transmitters for our flights so hopefully I can test drive it. 🙂

• Like 2