Shopping bags and room service plates

phabric

19 hours ago, Nora86 said:

Speaking of cleaning up after ourselves..does anyone know why it's impossible to find garbage cans? Or where to find them besides public bathrooms? I've had a few ice cream cones issues 🙂

I read somewhere  - but can’t confirm that it’s true - that because different types of trash and garbage on ships have to be handled differently, it creates more work for the crew if passengers were to dump everything into garbage cans in public areas.  I leave empty soda cans on a nearby table or bar.  I try to limit snacking to the buffet area, where I can leave any garbage on a plate or napkin on a table.  The crew can then gather and sort trash as needed. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Nora86 said:

Speaking of cleaning up after ourselves..does anyone know why it's impossible to find garbage cans? Or where to find them besides public bathrooms? I've had a few ice cream cones issues 🙂

I typically only remember seeing actual trash cans out on upper decks around pool areas.  Maybe there are ones down by IC.

• Thanks 1

Just my thoughts.. take them or leave them :)

Any experience I have ever had with room service...

It is common practice for the customer to place their used dishes in the hallway, and it is common practice for hotels to request you to do this (land or sea). 

Of course there is always going to be different ways to do things that we don't all agree with or understand, this will not change now or ever.  

Call, leave them outside your door, carry them back... go with the system or go against the system...  whatever you do be as courteous as you can to those around you and have fun!  Sometimes you just have to do you.

Worrying about the small stuff will just be a source of unnecessary stress that could ruin a moment, a day, or an entire vacation.

As far as the bags go... my preference would definitely be that they were at least available.  Alternatively it can be delivered to your cabin and most of us have some sort of small bag or backpack that goes with on excursions, so would not be bringing along anything additional on my cruise.  

But hey... again.... small stuff

Do your thing and have fun doing it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I tend to agree with you.  Bags should be provided with purchases.  I doubt it has much to do with expense cutting.  More likely to make folks feel good about being environmentally correct. 

Since some ships have them and some don't, maybe the ships that don't just ran out.

• Like 2

OP here,

I ordered from the app some sandwiches today:to be delivered to my cabin.  I asked the room server where to put the dirty plates, “ outside your cabin door.  I can only deliver clean food plates, someone else will pick up the dirty plates”.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We are currently aboard the Crown Princess.  As part of the room steward introducing himself when we first arrived, we asked him how to address dirty dishes.  He told us just to set them aside in the room and he would take care of it.  Maybe stewards have their own preferences, or different ships have their own quirks about doing things.  There is also the room servicing request medallion function outside the door, or the app.

There are quite a few passengers who use wheelchairs or walkers, so while it might not be wrong to leave dirty dishes outside the room I probably would not do it.  Our first 2 days out of HI the weather was an issue, the sea was so rough anything we placed outside the door would have ended up in the hallway.

• Like 2