Silver Moon sailing January 6

gypsyjennifer1

fudge - how do you feel about the 20% offer? When they cancelled the prior cruise it seems like they were giving 50% off a future cruise. I don’t feel 20% is in line with the lateness of the cancellation and all the time and energy we put into planning this trip.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:01 AM, LcruiCruise1963 said:

I agree well said.  We were on the Jan 16th cruise and now on the 26th sailing of the Moon.  We understand the political situation and uncertain issues in the region.  Without the invaluable information posted we would not have been aware of the upcoming changes/cancellations until much later.  We only ask SS communicates sooner than later as this is a very special occasion and would like to make  arrangements for a different trip if they cancel.

When SS canceled your January 16 cruise, did they only offer you 20% on a future cruise.

I’ve been on other cruise lines when they’ve had to cancel, and the offer has always been 50% on a future cruise.

Hi there -we had our 16th January cruise cancelled only 5/6 days prior to the departure date & we were offered exactly the same - full refund & 20% off a future 2024 cruise   x 

We were also offered 20% off a future cruise.  After Jan 16th canceled we were assured Jan 26th would go and used the 20% to go on that one.  Now canceled as well.  While you can't predict the future all of this started months ago and to not have a contingency plan is poor planning.  I believe due to the way in which they handled this they should offer more to guests.  Communication has not been good on the part of SS.

LcruiCruise1963 - you have definitely been through an emotional wringer! I can’t believe SS doesn’t have more empathy for its guests. To cancel so close to the sail date and have no alternative plan when we have seen this situation unfolding for two months is shocking. We have all put so much time and energy into making arrangements for this trip, and their response lacks any recognition of the extent of our disappointment.

The good news I guess is you got 20% and your money back. When we backed out on 12/8  fir the 1/6 trip from Aquba we got credit for another trip and if we took a trip less than the $29 k investment no cash back just credit again 

19 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

The good news I guess is you got 20% and your money back. When we backed out on 12/8  fir the 1/6 trip from Aquba we got credit for another trip and if we took a trip less than the $29 k investment no cash back just credit again 

some got OBC to stick with cruise, and others could put the money towards a future cruise like you. others like me received nothing, so it was go or loose everything.  so unfair how Silversea handles reservations in different regions and cabins. we are arriving in Athens tomorrow.  I am going to sign off with this feed.  wishing you all well for future cruises.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gypsyjennifer1 said:

some got OBC to stick with cruise, and others could put the money towards a future cruise like you. others like me received nothing, so it was go or loose everything.  so unfair how Silversea handles reservations in different regions and cabins. we are arriving in Athens tomorrow.  I am going to sign off with this feed.  wishing you all well for future cruises.

Thank you for keeping us informed with what is happening onboard. I wish you safe onward travels. 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:43 PM, wyocruiser said:

fudge - how do you feel about the 20% offer? When they cancelled the prior cruise it seems like they were giving 50% off a future cruise. I don’t feel 20% is in line with the lateness of the cancellation and all the time and energy we put into planning this trip.

I couldn't agree more however, given the current circumstances I can understand. Its a shame because we were celebrating three occasions on this trip. 20% is better than nothing, but we already have three cruises booked in 2024 so squeezing another one in will be difficult.

Thank you, I had considered that, one is paid for (June) the others are later in the year. I have left the payment with SS it will come in handy when we do book another cruise.

I read an interesting article (attached) the other day & suspect that many of us simply don't read the t&c attached to the cruises that we book to fully understand the risk(s) we are taking

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/my-dream-60th-birthday-cruise-has-become-a-war-zone-why-ca/

I do not want to upset anyone, but it looks to me  that the bottom line is that cruise lines in many situations do not have to pay compensation!

There was one other point that I wanted to draw everyones attention to.   Only the other day I used a FCC on a new booking with Silversea & fully expected to get my 15% off the cost of that future cruise.  Much to my surprise it seems it does not work like that with Silversea.  The 15% that I received was based on the cost of the cruise that it was awarded / given against.    In my case it worked out for the better as the original cruise cost was more than the new booking -- so I received more than I expected off the new booking.   However if I had been given a FCC against a relatively cheap booking then I would no doubt be either surprised or maybe a little disappointed.  In other words there are no big discounts to be expected on new bookings to the Antartica / Arctic!   

Thanks to all for this information

We are on the Whisper on March 20 - Mumbai to Athens, going through the Red Sea.  They have not cancelled the cruise yet but I cannot imagine that it will be a go.  SS is leaving us all hanging so we cannot make alternative plans or change arrangements.  Very frustrating.

4 hours ago, 9stilton said:

There was one other point that I wanted to draw everyones attention to.   Only the other day I used a FCC on a new booking with Silversea & fully expected to get my 15% off the cost of that future cruise.  Much to my surprise it seems it does not work like that with Silversea.  The 15% that I received was based on the cost of the cruise that it was awarded / given against.

That is what I would have expected.  It should relate to what you already paid, as that was the source of the perk.

4 hours ago, bitob said:

Thanks to all for this information

We are on the Whisper on March 20 - Mumbai to Athens, going through the Red Sea.  They have not cancelled the cruise yet but I cannot imagine that it will be a go.  SS is leaving us all hanging so we cannot make alternative plans or change arrangements.  Very frustrating.

We are sailing on Crystal, also Mumbai to Athens departing Mumbai a few days after you. Crystal are doing exactly the same, leaving us hanging with no information on what they are going to do. I think we all know that they are not going to run these cruises, they just treat the passengers as though we aren’t here! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That is what I would have expected.  It should relate to what you already paid, as that was the source of the perk.

Interesting!   It must either be a British thing or I simply got hold of the wrong end of the stick.    Whatever, in my mind I had a 15% FCC owing me and not a fixed amount of credit from a previous cruise.

Does anyone have a screen shot of the Port of Aqaba showing that the SilverMoon was due there on the 16th January? If you have I appreciate if you can share it Tks 

• 3 weeks later...