Staying onboard at ports

kindofanewbie

Hi,

Have only travelled on one cruise before as a child back in 2004, on the QM2 when she travelled alongside QE2 from New York to Southampton. It was truly one of the most magical experiences of my life. So now as an adult I want to do something similar with my own children.

I have looked at voyages and the Norwegian Fjords looks perfect. My question is: is it possible to stay on the ship when she stops at various ports? Would we be the only ones? Are the restaurants and activities available on board during port days?

I understand people may question why not get off and explore, I'll just say I have some personal medical issues which I'd rather not discuss. And Norwegian Fjords are something I've always wanted to see, so I'd prefer that to a standard transatlantic crossing.

Yes of course, there are less activities going on but restaurants and bars will be open on port days.

You definitely won't be alone, people stay on board in port for all sorts of reasons. 

Just to add, what an amazing first cruise experience you had !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kindofanewbie said:

Hi,

Have only travelled on one cruise before as a child back in 2004, on the QM2 when she travelled alongside QE2 from New York to Southampton. It was truly one of the most magical experiences of my life. So now as an adult I want to do something similar with my own children.

I have looked at voyages and the Norwegian Fjords looks perfect. My question is: is it possible to stay on the ship when she stops at various ports? Would we be the only ones? Are the restaurants and activities available on board during port days?

I understand people may question why not get off and explore, I'll just say I have some personal medical issues which I'd rather not discuss. And Norwegian Fjords are something I've always wanted to see, so I'd prefer that to a standard transatlantic crossing.

The ship is wonderful on port days: calm and spacious. You would not be the only ones, and lots of people, like us, might get off for a wander in the mornings and come back for lunch. A minority of people never get off, but enjoy experiencing their ship when she is partly empty. Your children are very lucky and should have a splendiferous time. There are not so many activities but I think the children’s clubs are open.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kindofanewbie said:

Thank you, that's reassuring! Do you know if the kids zone operates on these days?

I have daily programmes from a QM2 cruise to Norway this past May. Each of the daily programmes for the port days on that cruise list the Play/Zids/Teen Zone hours as 2:00pm - 5:00pm and 6:00pm - 11:00pm. That only differs from sea days when the Play/Zids/Teen Zone hours also included a morning session 10:00am - 12:00pm. So you should only be missing that morning session when the Play/Zids/Teen Zone is apparently closed on port days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kindofanewbie said:

Hi,

We rarely get off the ship these days as most of the ports visited are not new to us and we like the calm ambiance of a few hours on a fairly deserted ship. We really use the ship as a floating hotel.

The daily programme is definitely less active  but there are still 'things' going on. The childrens' clubs have restricted hours but as far as I know, still operate when in port, the proviso being, a parent  or guardian must be onboard, something I guess won't apply to you as you will be there.

The Fjords is a perfect cruise for drinking in the magnificent scenery without the hassle of disembarking. It's one of our 'comfort cruises. Love it.