bourbon

flare3192

I am obviously not a connoisseur, since on land my go-to bourbon is Jim Beam. When we were on Splendor in January, our stewardess asked about our in-suite setup, and I asked for Jim.  She came back an hour later all apologetic: they didn't have Jim Beam but she did have in her arms a big bottle of Bulleit. I assured her that I would make do. Sniffity sniff!
In fact, if Bulleit were the same price as Beam, I would switch loyalties.  But on Splendor all is included so on board my loyalties does switch.  Back on land my inner Scrooge has me back to Jim.
When I finished the bottle of Bulleit, she brought me another one.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

14 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

1) Jack Daniels is not bourbon. It is Tennessee Whiskey. 

2) Bulleit is a big upgrade from Jim Beam! ❤️

With regards,

Your friendly native Kentuckian from the heart of bourbon country 

@the_dylaness as an insider can you please work on getting the distilleries to stop raising prices.  😪

Actually in reality I think it's been the wholesalers/retailers that are the ones jacking up pricing and keeping the fatter margins.  Prices have gone totally insane.

I was lucky (dare I say smart) enough to stock up on cases of my favorite bourbons 7-8yrs ago.  But I've giddily drank my way through most of it--down to about 1-2yrs remaining at current consumption levels. So I need prices to start dropping, por favor!  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2023 at 8:00 AM, Whinenowine said:

@the_dylaness as an insider can you please work on getting the distilleries to stop raising prices.  😪

Actually in reality I think it's been the wholesalers/retailers that are the ones jacking up pricing and keeping the fatter margins.  Prices have gone totally insane.

I was lucky (dare I say smart) enough to stock up on cases of my favorite bourbons 7-8yrs ago.  But I've giddily drank my way through most of it--down to about 1-2yrs remaining at current consumption levels. So I need prices to start dropping, por favor!  😁

Amen.  I used to be a regular Scotch drinker before we moved to Kentucky many years ago.  The Scotch prices shot through the roof (still up there as far as I know) and being in Kentucky I was 'converted' to a bourbon drinker.  Although bourbon has gone up it's still a bargain compared to Scotch.

Of course, iced tea is less expensive than either of those...  😄

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Actually this is a Viking thing.  Posted on the wrong thread, sorry.

Hahaha!  Thanks for that.   But in all seriousness, I'm fine with paying the incremental amount for better booze.  But these days basic prices are jumping and upper echelon bottles are either hard to get or priced out of my reach.

• Like 1

A little off topic, but us rum drinkers are in a worse state when it comes to onboard selection.  First of all, Bacardi rum tastes like you bit into a two by four piece of wood.  In addition, no self-respecting Puerto Rican (me) will drink it.  Give us something drinkable like Don Q! Also, there are some wonderful sipping rums out there like Dos Maderas or Zacapa which would be nice to have onboard.  Finished ranting. 

Z and TB

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

A little off topic, but us rum drinkers are in a worse state when it comes to onboard selection.  First of all, Bacardi rum tastes like you bit into a two by four piece of wood.  In addition, no self-respecting Puerto Rican (me) will drink it.  Give us something drinkable like Don Q! Also, there are some wonderful sipping rums out there like Dos Maderas or Zacapa which would be nice to have onboard.  Finished ranting. 

Z and TB

It wouldn’t break my heart to see a bottle of Tres Estrellas on the shelf either. I have a warm feeling for that one as it was the first rum I ever tasted that I could stand to drink straight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

Hey, @Zqueeze1 I'd take Bacardi over the Cruzan rum (paint thinner) I had to grow up with.  And I was only 72miles away from PR.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Zacapa is fairly popular now and, believe it or not, it makes for an excellent rum old fashioned.  I may have to make one today.  

Z and TB

In fact, the Meridian Lounge on the news ships offer a Zacapa old fashioned, made with their 23 year old rum. But it's $29 and I decided against having one.

1 hour ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

In fact, the Meridian Lounge on the news ships offer a Zacapa old fashioned, made with their 23 year old rum. But it's $29 and I decided against having one.

Wow!   I pay $17 for same at an upscale steak house in Port St Lucie, FL where we live. I may have to get one to see how good it may be.  

Z and TB 

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Wow!   I pay $17 for same at an upscale steak house in Port St Lucie, FL where we live. I may have to get one to see how good it may be.  

Z and TB 

Correction:   I may have to get one onboard to see how good they may be. 

Z and TB

20 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

Z - like you I am a rum drinker and can't stand Bacardi (or Captain Morgan).  On board Regent I usually drink Mount Gay or Diplimatico (sp?) from Venezuela.  

'73, 'N' company.