1st Celebrity After 10-Year 'Never Again' - Silhouette 12/4/2023

At Sea At Peace

Well, we used to be real active on CC.  Started cruising in 2008.  Enjoyed 56N as recent as 2019, pre-Covid, on NCL Bliss (Haven) and MSC Yacht Club (Seaside and Meraviglia).  Learned so much from CC postings all along. Life was good.

We had a 'never again' on Celebrity over a tough cruise.  Time to move on.

Since we now primarily live 1 mile north of the Port of Everglades we see so many Celebrity ships.  During a recent, massive storm, we watched Silhouette be the first ship to come back into port, with the support of tugs once in Lake Mabel, get into port safely.  We 'googled' Silhouette, found out it had $75M of transformation with E Class type changes.  As per today's technology, every news article and sports website we visited showed us "Celebrity deals, Silhouette."  🤨

So, we dipped our toes into looking.  We found, last minute, a nice level Veranda on the 10N 12/4/2023 on Silhouette.  We called Celebrity (no answer for an hour) and tried our VC online (didn't recognize us anymore).  We found a TA that had a 'person' and booked, great PP and location.  All Aqua gone, OK.  Booked. 

After bookings, made 6 SD reservations and upgraded to Premium Bev etc. @ almost half off.  

Our first cruise since December of 2019.

We emailed the CEO and MKT/CR VP of Celebrity to 'let them know' our story.  No going back to why we left.

Not surprisingly, we received email replies from the CEO and the MKT/CR, welcoming us back.  

So, we are excited once again.  Hope to share our experience in some way.

The website bookings for SD were great.  The APP appears to be really good.  Tomorrow we do the medical Q.  Already have the digital passes.

Will try to post how we do.

👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

hope your return to Celebrity doesn't disappoint.  Sorry, but what is SD?

First, thank you.  

SD for us aka Specialty Dining. 

We took the ones that were available at close to open (early).  We're kind of 'free' for the first couple of days as there was little available, but we'll manage.  We were assigned late MDR, which we can't do, but didn't really matter as we really like to try the other experiences.  We're not big eaters; like taste and sampling flavors.  Hopefully there will be parties seated next to us with hungry cruisers and/or families.

image.jpeg.f57c5287956fe907e0ea7fc0a6521111.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We sailed on the Silhouette at the end of Nov.   it is the first time while on board that I didn’t book a future cruise.  For us something was missing.  It didn’t have the vibe or excitement.  We were in a suite and the cut backs took away the suite experience and didn’t  justify the cost that we paid.  

The staff seemed to be overworked.    We still got great service and for the most part the food was decent.   Nothing  was outstanding.  

The BTs are the Martini bar weren’t as entertaining, the Mari is now use Ketel One instead of Grey Goose.   The drinks at the WCB are ok but not as good as they use to be because of the cut  backs in the liquor that is used 

Hope you have a better experience.   If you haven’t been on X for many years you won’t  notice the differences or changes.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Silhouette is our favorite ship. Have sailed her 5 times. Best experience ever was standing on our portside balcony while leaving the port of Taromina, Sicily in the evening and watching Mt. Etna erupt.  

We have followed RCCL, NCL and MSC with CruiseCritic quick icons for years and had passed on Celebrity; so we got behind.  We were working our way through the Solstice Class which, at the time, was our choice of ships for 'a break and relaxation' while we still had our business.  We did the RCCL Oasis and Quantum Classes for activities (flo rida, simulated sky diving, etc. Labadee Dragons Breath).

When we just looked at Celebrity again (we see the Edge Class and Solstice Class ships a lot as we are almost 1 exact mile north of Port Everglades on the beach) we had looked at Silhouette and learned that it had a $75M transformation makeover with features from the Edge class.  Silhouette and Reflection, I believe, are the only S Class ships we didn't sail.

The Celebrity website, from our perspective, was easy to use and awesome.  Probably because it is a combination of good and that we're used to MSC's really tough and rough one.  😲

Have caught up on a lot of reviews, YT videos from passengers, the cruise line and TA's. 

Pretty excited.  Again, despite 56N of cruises in 2019, zero, nil since (Covid and a health issue).

Not much into most ports (repetitive) but love entering and leaving ports from up top.  Hopefully there is no "basketball court" left on Silhouette.  Other S Class ships have it and, with a metal chain net, used to open to 1 to 2 kids at such times.

9 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

We were on Silhouette in the spring for the TransAtlantic and had a very nice cruise. Hope you have a wonderful time! 

Thanks.

My wife is a big fan of the Solarium, especially during the extreme sun periods during the day.  Only once in years of S Class cruises did it disappoint when a 'businessman' decided to do his work on speakerphone.  😲  I have little patience for such, but I 🤐

Love the Lawn.

Also really like the daily hamburger, hot dogs, chips and salsa etc. on the upper decks by the pool.  Sometimes just a plain hamburger brings back the best memories of our earlier lives as kids then as parents just in the back yard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, miched said:

We sailed on the Silhouette at the end of Nov.   it is the first time while on board that I didn’t book a future cruise.  For us something was missing.  It didn’t have the vibe or excitement.  We were in a suite and the cut backs took away the suite experience and didn’t  justify the cost that we paid.  

The staff seemed to be overworked.    We still got great service and for the most part the food was decent.   Nothing  was outstanding.  

The BTs are the Martini bar weren’t as entertaining, the Mari is now use Ketel One instead of Grey Goose.   The drinks at the WCB are ok but not as good as they use to be because of the cut  backs in the liquor that is used 

Hope you have a better experience.   If you haven’t been on X for many years you won’t  notice the differences or changes.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

If you were on the Nov. 20-30th sailing, we felt it was 'off' as well.  The entertainment particularly.  Only one production show.  Dining was just OK;  menu didn't impress.  Full ship affected service and very crowded everywhere.  Can't put my finger on why we felt it was a 'nothing' type of vacation.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Full ship affected service and very crowded everywhere.  

I believe that 12/4 Silhouette is 'full' also. Pre-🎅 There was only one Veranda stateroom available when we booked 'last minute'  Hopefully all will go well.  We're not big eaters when it comes to volume.  We like tastes (a lot), enjoy the time to take in the moment (no rush, but certainly not looking for 2 hour meal) and I'm notorious for conversing with abutting table guests.  Prefer small plates when traveling to kids/GKs (Boston, Austin, MD, etc.). Wife likes a coffee after dinner on cruises.  I tend to go for a Port wine (or 2).  🍷 🍷

Usually get astonishing looks from servers, sometimes Maître d, when we pass on the bread, share an appetizer and only eat 2 ounces of a tenderloin and a bit of the potatoes, etc.  🤨

We just got a TEXT from Celebrity to confirm our arrival time.

Waiting for the 24 hour period to do the Medical Questionnaire on the APP.

Hopefully, we'll be able to share our experience and pictures at the end of the days.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

If you were on the Nov. 20-30th sailing, we felt it was 'off' as well.  The entertainment particularly.  Only one production show.  Dining was just OK;  menu didn't impress.  Full ship affected service and very crowded everywhere.  Can't put my finger on why we felt it was a 'nothing' type of vacation.

We were on the Nov 6 and did a B2B getting off on the 20th.   The last cruise was a 4 day.   Both cruises were full.   The 4 day was a completely different crowd but it didn’t really change anything.  Something was missing on both cruises and I think it was those little things, and personal touches  that Celebrity decided to cut out.    I think the crew was really affected as they seemed to be short staffed.  Also wasn’t impressed by any of the shows and I think they used the Atrium for too many shows and events that could or should be somewhere else.   It made all of the areas around it too noisy and crowded.  Some should have been in the Sky Lounge.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, miched said:

We were on the Nov 6 and did a B2B getting off on the 20th.   The last cruise was a 4 day.   Both cruises were full.   The 4 day was a completely different crowd but it didn’t really change anything.  Something was missing on both cruises and I think it was those little things, and personal touches  that Celebrity decided to cut out.    I think the crew was really affected as they seemed to be short staffed.  Also wasn’t impressed by any of the shows and I think they used the Atrium for too many shows and events that could or should be somewhere else.   It made all of the areas around it too noisy and crowded.  Some should have been in the Sky Lounge.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We had a personal phone discussion with CD Mike re the lack of production shows.  Our daughter was an entertainer and we followed her on various lines.  We know from experience there should have been 2 or 3 during our 10 days at sea.  His explanation was it was a new cast, no time to rehearse, etc.  My DH mentioned they had the Atlantic crossing to prepare (British cast) as well as the preceding short cruise(s).  I think the real answer is that now the Silhouette is doing 3 and 4 night cruises and they won't need any more than 1 production show, filling other nights with magic/singer/trio etc.  And yes, they had one Trivia show in the sky lounge...most others should have been there as well, as it attracted a number of cruisers, but not so in the Atrium etc.  Anyway, all of the 10 days were somehow lacking compared with prior X cruises for us. JMHO. 

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

We have followed RCCL, NCL and MSC with CruiseCritic quick icons for years and had passed on Celebrity; so we got behind.  We were working our way through the Solstice Class which, at the time, was our choice of ships for 'a break and relaxation' while we still had our business.  We did the RCCL Oasis and Quantum Classes for activities (flo rida, simulated sky diving, etc. Labadee Dragons Breath).

When we just looked at Celebrity again (we see the Edge Class and Solstice Class ships a lot as we are almost 1 exact mile north of Port Everglades on the beach) we had looked at Silhouette and learned that it had a $75M transformation makeover with features from the Edge class.  Silhouette and Reflection, I believe, are the only S Class ships we didn't sail.

The Celebrity website, from our perspective, was easy to use and awesome.  Probably because it is a combination of good and that we're used to MSC's really tough and rough one.  😲

Have caught up on a lot of reviews, YT videos from passengers, the cruise line and TA's. 

Pretty excited.  Again, despite 56N of cruises in 2019, zero, nil since (Covid and a health issue).

Not much into most ports (repetitive) but love entering and leaving ports from up top.  Hopefully there is no "basketball court" left on Silhouette.  Other S Class ships have it and, with a metal chain net, used to open to 1 to 2 kids at such times.

After our Oasis July sailing (joined a Family cruise) I wouldn't sail RCI again....even if the cruise was was free!!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Loracpin2 said:

After our Oasis July sailing (joined a Family cruise) I wouldn't sail RCI again....even if the cruise was was free!!! 

Well, we've been there done that as per this thread title.  However, 10-years, 4 grandkids, 1 grand dog and life events might change that as it has done for us.  😉

In 2013 when we had a truly unacceptable experience (the only one ever on all our cruises) on Equinox, we said - and meant - the same thing.  Even when Celebrity was hyping the new E Class, with a tractor trailer traveling demo (impressive) at a big TA in NH near our home, we told the Sales guy our story and that we wouldn't even go on the new ship (looked great) even if it was for free.  He took our name and story and verified it (lots of emails).  He actually offered us really special arrangements on the first E Class.  We said no.  He was befuddled.

But, time sometimes heals . . . 

We'll definitely let all know.

Tomorrow Silhouette comes into FLL in the early AM.  I'm not up, but DW usually is.  Hope she takes a couple of snaps of her from our condo a mile up the beach and I can post.  We're going to try to do daily updates and photos.

CC members (posts, photos, reviews) have been the top source of everything cruising for us since we started in 2008.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We had a personal phone discussion with CD Mike re the lack of production shows.  Our daughter was an entertainer and we followed her on various lines.  We know from experience there should have been 2 or 3 during our 10 days at sea.  His explanation was it was a new cast, no time to rehearse, etc.  My DH mentioned they had the Atlantic crossing to prepare (British cast) as well as the preceding short cruise(s).  I think the real answer is that now the Silhouette is doing 3 and 4 night cruises and they won't need any more than 1 production show, filling other nights with magic/singer/trio etc.  And yes, they had one Trivia show in the sky lounge...most others should have been there as well, as it attracted a number of cruisers, but not so in the Atrium etc.  Anyway, all of the 10 days were somehow lacking compared with prior X cruises for us. JMHO. 

I think the CD is full of BS.   We have been on many back stage tours.  We were told by the cast that they rehearse for the shows for months before going on a ship after their tryouts.  They said when their contract is up they still have to tryout again for another  contract.   I highly doubt that they come on a ship cold and learn the show.    They do rehearse on the ship but that is just to clean up  and get better.  

We also always make a positive comment about still having live music for the shows.  

My only negative feelings about the production shows is the lame themes.  Prancing around a chandelier or a large hat?   I think there were 3 productions shows on our cruise.   The singers and dancers deserve better material.   I seen better production shows put on by high school and the local performing arts community.  

Skipped most of the guest entertainers.  Don’t like Illusionists, or magicians.  I can figure out most of them as they all do the same thing.  Just a different presentation.   I also skip any  winners or runners up  from the talent TV shows as I don’t watch or like those shows.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

15 hours ago, miched said:

We were told by the cast that they rehearse for the shows for months before going on a ship after their tryouts.  They said when their contract is up they still have to tryout again for another  contract.   I highly doubt that they come on a ship cold and learn the show.    They do rehearse on the ship but that is just to clean up  and get better.  

True.   The cast is brought in to a studio in Miami and learn, rehearse all shows for approx. 6 wks. prior to sailing.  There's more to learning a show than 'steps';  takes quite a while to learn the choreography, placement, partnering, etc. We lived this for many years prior to our daughter's choice of (temporary) career after university.  The CD mentioned the acrobat rigging isn't available until they board the ship.  That is reasonable, but the rest of his 'reasoning' isn't.   So in effect we were told a long story which could have been accepted better if he had said..."the following cruises are 4 nights and only require one production show".  IMO, Production shows are more lively than a group or one singer, although we enjoy all types of entertainment (usually).

15 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

OP, I'm genuinely looking forward to your take on what has been my favorite ship in the Celebrity fleet (although it almost seems some folks don't want you to enjoy your cruise),  Bon voyage!

Sorry you feel that way and somewhat snide comment aside........missing a few shows will not diminish anyone's cruising vacation.  Just might disappoint those who enjoy watching that type of entertainment....we're definitely all different in our expectation.  Silhouette is lovely and refurbishment has improved her, but she's not much different than any other S class ship.  It's all in the experience and the cruisers positivity.

• Haha 1

OP, we will be joining you today on the Silhouette. We also have not cruised with Celebrity in quite a while but unlike you only have positive memories of our past experiences with Celebrity so it will be interesting to see how things have changed. Our last cruise with Celebrity was also on the Silhouette about 1 month before everything shut down in 2020 and it has been one of our favorite ships. We’ve only cruised once since the pandemic and it was with NCL. It was a great cruise. Anyway, we are looking forward to warm weather and some relaxation.  Happy Sailing!   Dave

• Like 1