Death in Paradise tour info request

mrsgoggins

I have the 'Death in Paradise tour and beach' booked on an upcoming cruise.  Taking a look at the details I see that it mentions one and a half hours walking over uneven ground.  Could anyone give any information on this please?  My walking ability may not stretch to one and a half hours alas!  Not really interested in the beach part of the tour and DH is not interested in the tour at all so I am wondering if to cancel.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I have the 'Death in Paradise tour and beach' booked on an upcoming cruise.  Taking a look at the details I see that it mentions one and a half hours walking over uneven ground.  Could anyone give any information on this please?  My walking ability may not stretch to one and a half hours alas!  Not really interested in the beach part of the tour and DH is not interested in the tour at all so I am wondering if to cancel.

Thanks

Is this visiting the gardens before the visit to the village where most of the scenes are shot? If so that from my recollection is where the bumpy and hilly ground was.  However I did the tour back in 2017 so it may have changed.  I do recall the actual place where filming takes place as being very small - one street - and although the buildings etc were recognisable the signs had not been put out for our trip.  Regarding the beach, if you mean the one where the shack is it is lovely but be aware the shack is dismantled when they aren't filming.

• Thanks 1

Visited Guadeloupe on cruise a few years ago before there was an “official” tour. I must emphasise that I am not aware of the tour you’re booked on and I can only report what we found. 
The first part of our tour was a botanical gardens close to DIP village. Really enjoyed that but the pathways were, at that time, uneven. Getting back to the village the roads were about like our very own, not perfect roads and pavements tricky in places, particularly around the police stations and Catherine’s Bar. Careful when ordering a rum punch as on this French island that is basically - just rum! I think we should have asked for a planteur. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thanks

We sort of did this unknowingly a few years ago, we missed Grenada because of storm damage and Guadaloupe was added so we booked a tour to the botanical gardens at Deshaies with an hour on the beach. It was only while driving from the garden to the beach which is probably a good mile that the driver pointed out the police station from Death in paradise which we never watched. The gardens were excellent and it is a nice beach where we went swimming even though we are not big into beaches. The area to and around the beach is quite rough. I also believe that only a small part of death in paradise was filmed here so I would also check what you are actually going to see. 

• Thanks 1

We did a trip, albeit with another cruise line, last year. Getting to the beach involves a little uneven ground, but other than that it wasn't bad. Having said that our trip didn't include the Botanical garden. There may have been some uneven ground at the harbour but otherwise the town was quite easy. The Police Station is excellent and just as you see it on TV,  only the vehicles were missing. 

We really enjoyed the trip and if you are a fan of the programme then it's not to be missed IMO. We were also fortunate to a sea seat next to the water in Catherine's bar with a reasonably priced beer. 

• Thanks 1

We did this last November with P&O.

I dont remember the ground being uneven, you have to do a bit of walking, its not 90 minutes of walking though.

The worst part was the coach journey (I hate coaches with my long legs) , although we did have a guide talking theorugh it all on route.

Catherines bar was in situ, it looks a lot better on TV than it does from the beach, we were able to have a sit down and a drink in the bar

Catherines Bar - Death in Paradise1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Somerset Cruiser said:

We did a trip, albeit with another cruise line, last year. Getting to the beach involves a little uneven ground, but other than that it wasn't bad. Having said that our trip didn't include the Botanical garden. There may have been some uneven ground at the harbour but otherwise the town was quite easy. The Police Station is excellent and just as you see it on TV,  only the vehicles were missing. 

We really enjoyed the trip and if you are a fan of the programme then it's not to be missed IMO. We were also fortunate to a sea seat next to the water in Catherine's bar with a reasonably priced beer. 

I took another look at the details of the P&O tour I have booked and it says nothing about a Botanical Garden, so probably similar to your tour.

I do like to watch Death in Paradise and so I’ve decided not to cancel but to ask on board at Shorex where the one and a half hour walking fits into the tour.

Thanks to all who have responded.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I love DIP but cant find a cruise that gives you the chance to visit here. 

Which cruises were you on to be able to visit ?

The 24 night Aurora Caribbean and 35 night Ventura cruises in 2024 and 2025 are visiting Guadeloupe.

Prior to pandemic when the itineraries changed every year Azura called there.  Unfortunately the itineraries don't appear to change for variety since 2019.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The 24 night Aurora Caribbean and 35 night Ventura cruises in 2024 and 2025 are visiting Guadeloupe.

Prior to pandemic when the itineraries changed every year Azura called there.  Unfortunately the itineraries don't appear to change for variety since 2019.

Shame as we wouldn't be doing those. Never mind 

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Marella go there regularly on their 14 night fly cruises. I think I also saw MSC in 2025 calling.

We priced up Marella. Silly money compared to PO so will just enjoy watching it in the TV

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We priced up Marella. Silly money compared to PO so will just enjoy watching it in the TV

That's interesting.  I looked at them for variety of ports in 2025 and considering they are all inclusive found the price comparable with what our January cruise has cost.

The problem with P&O nowadays is no variety in their port itinerary in the Caribbean and when you travel the area often you get to feel you need a change.  Looking at itineraries going forward the only change is Bonaire swaps with Aruba occasionally.

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That's interesting.  I looked at them for variety of ports in 2025 and considering they are all inclusive found the price comparable with what our January cruise has cost.

The problem with P&O nowadays is no variety in their port itinerary in the Caribbean and when you travel the area often you get to feel you need a change.  Looking at itineraries going forward the only change is Bonaire swaps with Aruba occasionally.

We've never been to the Caribbean before so to us it is all new .... an excuse to go 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Marella go there regularly on their 14 night fly cruises. I think I also saw MSC in 2025 calling.

Just looking at 14 nights in January, P&0 offer B402 with a Deluxe Balcony £ 6,098 Select fare with OBC £140. This has 8 port stops.

Marella offer a similar cruise for £6,532 for Deluxe Balcony with "choose your cabin" option. This is with 10 ports, and premium drinks package.

Marella also state flight times at time of booking, so car parks, hotels etc. can be booked.

• Like 1