Azamara Onward - My Greek Intensive review.

Solent Richard

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

Solent Richard was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Good afternoon. I've just published my review of a recent cruise onboard Azamara Onward. It's not all a rosy picture but pretty comprehensive all the same. It also includes the full Greek Intensive itinerary....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2023/12/05/azamara-onward-truly-a-curates-egg/

FeaturedImage8.thumb.jpg.dd9166630d0f12e6b7937a76a922705f.jpg

WhiteNight15.thumb.jpg.f120fddbdfb16d52043f762c82c7734a.jpg

Always happy to answer questions.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The actual review was way, way too long gir me, and including photographs of the food speaks volumes.

But, most notable — for me — was the following:

"… became painfully obvious that the embarkation order dictated in the Azamara joining letter was being universally abused"

The result is anarchy, and, ultimately, selfishness becomes self-defeating.

• Like 1

Yes, thanks for your review Richard.   I always enjoy reading your reviews and your port reports are very comprehensive, well written and appreciated.  

I receive your cruise reviews direct as I am on your mailing list ✔️

As to your comments on Azamara shoreside and their dreadful IT system, it has been ever thus.     Thank goodness it is a totally different experience when you walk up that gangplank and start your cruise.    Like chalk and cheese 🤣

We will walk up the Azamara Journey gangplank in Port Melbourne on 4 January 2024 for a 17 night trip to New Zealand.    We can’t wait.  👍👍

Rod 

excellent review, the comments on the ships amenities were spot on --enjoyed the Living Room first, then the Den, .then the bar near Discoveries--Atlas is nichey-and worth one brief visit

we were on Onward for Gems of the Medit. nov 6--nov 17. 

this was our first cruise on a small ship--converted from Norwegian and RC--tbh, i feel, there probably is a size between the mega ships and this one that would be perfect

there were 8 of us on board, none in the 'cruiser class' of many cruises, just out for a vacation, and fun-all of us still working wanting to see some of Europe. The ship is designed perfectly for probably a bit older demo than our group--we could've handled perhaps a 7.5/10 'energy' level on the boat--while the Onward is firmly in the 5.5/10. Probably won't return. 

Thanks for the review. Filled in a number (of many) gaps in my knowledge of Azamara in particular with regards the entertainment on board, overviews of the various venues and the port of Cannakale. I was thinking of a tour to the Gallipoli sites but not having any OBC find the Azamara tours a bit pricey so good to see there are lots of interesting places to see in the town should I decide on an alternative. Just flicked straight through the food entries as a bit of mystery before we set sail is good but it suggested we will not starve on board!

I expected a bad review....but the bads were essentially about the Azamara Web site and any interactions (or lack thereof) between Azamara and passengers before the cruise.  The reviews of the ship were very positive (I didn't read every word)...and map to our experience earlier this year BCN-VCE....and hopefully again on tomorrow's 10 day Caribbean cruise.

If I notice any differences worth noting, I'll start an Onward 12/12/2023 thread....and I will avoid repeating our similar pre-cruise experience.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 4