Concerns about changes to upcoming Grandeur ports

the_dylaness

2 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

Can the 20percent cruise fare be applied to a booked cruise? We have a booked cruise on the Grandeur in April 2024.

You can possibly re-book it if you are within your final payment window. Have your TA ask.

It looks like maybe Regent is scrambling to deal with a brand new California regulation that REQUIRES all cruise ships berthing at San Pedro and other ports to connect to shore power. 

https://lbpost.com/news/new-state-rules-to-reduce-vessel-emissions-at-ports-get-federal-ok/

Edited by jeb_bud
Added link
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jeb_bud said:

It looks like maybe Regent is scrambling to deal with a brand new California regulation that REQUIRES all cruise ships berthing at San Pedro and other ports to connect to shore power. 

Thank you for sharing this. 

18 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Thank you for sharing this. 

So why couldn't Regent have just stated this (the new San Pedro/CA regulation/requirement) right up front....instead of wasting time (and damaging their public image) by spouting out all the corporate "feel good green social conscientiousness by 2050 blather"?

The "Miami corporate wizards" with the MBA degrees should have known right upfront that there was going to be a lot of potential/actual negative publicity and hard feelings resulting from this sudden (yet now seemingly unavoidable) itinerary change from their customers...and should have spent just a few extra minutes to come with a "better and final offer" of the OBC's and FCC's right from the start...instead of throwing out a "first and measly cheapskate offer" to see if it "would fly"!

This is not the first time they've had to (from a public relations standpoint) come back with a second  and more palatable offer ... after causing a lot of negative and unnecessary publicity at the outset. Jeesh!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

So why couldn't Regent have just stated this (the new San Pedro/CA regulation/requirement) right up front....instead of wasting time (and damaging their public image) by spouting out all the corporate "feel good green social conscientiousness by 2050 blather"?

The "Miami corporate wizards" with the MBA degrees should have known right upfront that there was going to be a lot of potential/actual negative publicity and hard feelings resulting from this sudden (yet now seemingly unavoidable) itinerary change from their customers...and should have spent just a few extra minutes to come with a "better and final offer" of the OBC's and FCC's right from the start...instead of throwing out a "first and measly cheapskate offer" to see if it "would fly"!

This is not the first time they've had to (from a public relations standpoint) come back with a second  and more palatable offer ... after causing a lot of negative and unnecessary publicity at the outset. Jeesh!

All true...think Regent will address it?

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

All true...think Regent will address it?

Not unless they're forced to, no.  If I recall properly from my MBA classes last century: Big Corporate 101 taught us to low ball all first offers because many will be happy taking just that...then sweeten the offer ONLY if the negative PR wave is evident and swelling ('the squeaky wheel theory').  And throughout, stick to your PR-corporate-speak guns (your original story), repeat it often enough and that's what people will remember in the long run....Regent doing all it can to go green by 2050.

Happy they sweetened the deal and hopefully that makes it right by all those on the cruise. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Not unless they're forced to, no.  If I recall properly from my MBA classes last century: Big Corporate 101 taught us to low ball all first offers because many will be happy taking just that...then sweeten the offer ONLY if the negative PR wave is evident and swelling ('the squeaky wheel theory').  And throughout, stick to your PR-corporate-speak guns (your original story), repeat it often enough and that's what people will remember in the long run....Regent doing all it can to go green by 2050.

Happy they sweetened the deal and hopefully that makes it right by all those on the cruise. 

Sounds reasonable to me...but I've seen enough of their inner workings to know when we will get more and when to dig my heels in.

1 minute ago, fijoho said:

We will.  And in response to those that blame the TAs - we book direct with Regent.

I was asking IF your TA warned you about port changes/removals. If you booked directly with Regent, they are acting as your TA. 

8 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I was asking IF your TA warned you about port changes/removals. If you booked directly with Regent, they are acting as your TA. 

Nothing new here - we know all about risks and contracts and how things can be changed, doesn't change the fact that Regent are being disingenuous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fijoho said:

Nothing new here - we know all about risks and contracts and how things can be changed, doesn't change the fact that Regent are being disingenuous.

Then vote with your wallet.

I am still curious if TA's are warning people that ports/itineraries can change at time of booking.

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

Wow. You are leaving a lot of money on the table!!

Only if you have more money to spend.  Not everyone has your clear level of disposable income to keep on booking expensive cruises.  I thought others had made that clear  - for some of us, THIS is the cruise we have spent our money on, expecting something different.  

• Like 5

Just now, fijoho said:

Only if you have more money to spend.  Not everyone has your clear level of disposable income to keep on booking expensive cruises.  I thought others had made that clear  - for some of us, THIS is the cruise we have spent our money on, expecting something different.  

You miss my point. A good ta gives you a healthy obc and other perks. He or she also intercedes when you have a problem 

• Like 2