Any wristwatch aficionados been on the Ascent?

Atebir

We have a back-to-back lined up on the Ascent leaving New Years Eve. I know the watch boutique on the Edge and Apex were amazing. I’m assuming that the Ascent’s will be at least as good, but curious if any watch aficionados have had the chance to visit yet and can comment?

43 minutes ago, jayoldschool said:

I'd be interested in hearing what brands are on offer these days. A few years ago on S-class, Omega was heavily advertised, and there were a few used pieces that were decent.

Be sure to check if their used watches are essentially "savaged" or repaired at a 3rd party repair company possibly using aftermarket parts; X does this with its used Rolex.  When this happens the maker will no longer service them and the value plummets

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atebir said:

We have a back-to-back lined up on the Ascent leaving New Years Eve. I know the watch boutique on the Edge and Apex were amazing. I’m assuming that the Ascent’s will be at least as good, but curious if any watch aficionados have had the chance to visit yet and can comment?

Assuming one can afford it, buy a new or used Rolex and enjoy one of the only appreciating assets you can wear

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Assuming one can afford it, buy a new or used Rolex and enjoy one of the only appreciating assets you can wear

Are you following the used Rolex market? Not sure about that today unless you’re buying new at or (laughing maniacally) below retail. The crazy stupid days of the last 2-3 years are cooling. 

10 hours ago, markeb said:

Are you following the used Rolex market? Not sure about that today unless you’re buying new at or (laughing maniacally) below retail. The crazy stupid days of the last 2-3 years are cooling

Yes, buy the dip, it's still a solid investment over the long term and quite the gift to give to a family member a decade or two from now

One example:

image.thumb.png.00a0e4b97ab47a37062898e102b0b46c.png

11 hours ago, markeb said:

Are you following the used Rolex market?

" used Rolex " ??

LOL--- I made the same mistake (??) on, I forget which ship , and referred to a Rolex on display as " used " ---- and was corrected immediately to use the term " pre-loved " --- sounds more expensive.

( No, I didn't buy one--- But, an " old fart " with a beautiful 32 yr old did--- Ya shoulda seen the kiss she gave him--- The best bet , rather than splitting Kings , because you feel " lucky ", would be " Does she still have the watch, and does he still have her "?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

" used Rolex " ??

LOL--- I made the same mistake (??) on, I forget which ship , and referred to a Rolex on display as " used " ---- and was corrected immediately to use the term " pre-loved " --- sounds more expensive.

( No, I didn't buy one--- But, an " old fart " with a beautiful 32 yr old did--- Ya shoulda seen the kiss she gave him--- The best bet , rather than splitting Kings , because you feel " lucky ", would be " Does she still have the watch, and does he still have her "?

As stated in post #3, a used Rolex on board is not serviceable by Rolex, therefore it's like buying a vehicle that's salvaged

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

As stated in post #3, a used Rolex on board is not serviceable by Rolex, therefore it's like buying a vehicle that's salvaged

Understood--- However, I forgot to mention the Salesperson said that they were " certified " by Rolex. 

I'm sure you are correct---- " Buyer Be Ware " 

• Thanks 1

If you are looking to buy a watch and collecting them don’t buy any on board.  Buy from a land based seller to establish a relationship with the dealer.   Watches that are in demand, and rare are reserved and sold to their best customers.    They want to be sure that they are not selling them to a flipper. 

Years ago I become acquainted with Lucky at Goldfinger in St Maarten.   He is an authorized Rolex dealer.  I have bought a few watches from him and visit every time we are on that island.  When I would be talking to him looking at the watches people would constantly run in and rudely  butt in asking if he had any SS Daytonas.  I would tell them that they were too late as I bought the last two he had at a 20% discount.    He never had any SS but did have some In the precious metals.   He had a waiting list for the SS and those were for his best customers.   He would have always have at least 300 Rolex watches now it is none.  

Today stores on any of the islands have any Rolex, or Patek warches to sell.   They may  have some on display but they for show only,  or reserved for their best customers.   

There is  one store on St Maarten that is an authorized Patek dealer that had some previously owned Pateks.  They are being sold on consignment and a hefty deposit had to be paid to try them on.  

if you really want a pre owned watch try this place 

https://pduggan.com

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Thanks for all the replies. But, the goal of my post was simply first-hand intelligence on the Ascent’s current selection of new watches.  From the posts here it doesn’t appear that anyone’s been to the boutique. When we get back, I can render a report. 😉

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

So, I too am looking to pick up a watch in April on the Ascent.  What did you find?  My eye is on a Breitling Superocean Heritage and perhaps save the sales tax.

Edited by spike&mema
spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

There are many new watch choices and some disc/ sales..in quite a few of the stores, but I do not know what they stock.  Seems you are looking for very hi end..same prices as a new car!

the " Mankind" mens boutique on the way to EDEN  has increased its selection as well...not for investment but enjoyment...?

dh  bought me a  very pretty  gold and crystal watch  for my special birthday..on  ASCENT..Not in the Rolex caliber but I love it....They sized it perfectly. 

And as luck would have it, I just found a great necklace to go with it!

Edited by hcat

Posted (edited)

There was a good selection of Breitling models from n the Ascent, you should find what you’re looking for. Also, if your heading to Grand Cayman, there’s a Breitling Boutique there as well. 

Going out on the Reflection in a couple of weeks. It’s been a few years since I’ve been on board, but IIRC they had a nice selection of Breitling on that ship as well. 

Edited by Atebir

On 12/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Salvage title vehicles are a thing, they can be repaired and serviced…some insurance companies won’t insure them, I do know that.

is John Bull in Nassau a actual Rolex Dealer?  Anyone know..?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Salvage title vehicles are a thing, they can be repaired and serviced…some insurance companies won’t insure them, I do know that.

As long as you know what you're buying.  Like a salvage vehicle, the value is less than if it wasn't salvaged.  Most who buy Rolex's do so because they appreciate and the rate of appreciation and therefore demand will be less

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

10 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Yes. John Bull is listed on www.rolex.com as an authorized dealer.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad I found this topic, I was on the Apex last month and was on the Edge the year before.  I will be on the Apex in 2025, and I was curious to know which brands of watches they carry.  I thought that the Edge's store seemed larger and had more selection than Apex.  I know the store will have Rolex, other than that, I'd appreciate any input on what brands Ascent carries.

Posted (edited)

On Ascent I recall Breitling, Zenith, Hublot, Oris, Tag in the Pieces if Time shop. Cartier and Bvlgari have their own shops. 

We were just on the Reflection in March, they had just added Meistersinger, which I thought was a great idea…a brand you don’t usually see much of and could appeal to a watch collector that has never seen one or doesn’t already own one. 

Edited by Atebir

Thanks Atebir, it sounds like they have the same brands as Apex, along with the separate Cartier and Bulgari shops.  I usually use my OBC to buy a watch or handbag, not any of the high end ones, but the OBC helps cut down the cost a bit.  I enjoy learning about the high end brands and have started collecting a bit.

On 12/5/2023 at 7:23 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Be sure to check if their used watches are essentially "savaged" or repaired at a 3rd party repair company possibly using aftermarket parts; X does this with its used Rolex.  When this happens the maker will no longer service them and the value plummets

Make sure if you get a Rolex you know a few things.  First, if the sweep hand ticks, something is wrong.  Rolexes sweep.  If it has been refurbished and they offer you a Rolex warranty.  Be suspicious.  If it has been repaired by a third party that is not Rolex approved, no such Rolex warranty exists.  Any warranty it had is null and void by Rolex.

4 hours ago, mrsbunder said:

I'm glad I found this topic, I was on the Apex last month and was on the Edge the year before.  I will be on the Apex in 2025, and I was curious to know which brands of watches they carry.  I thought that the Edge's store seemed larger and had more selection than Apex.  I know the store will have Rolex, other than that, I'd appreciate any input on what brands Ascent carries.

Unless something has changed, they do not sell Rolex's.  Generally, once per sailing, they put up for auction a used Rolex that Rolex won't service

These days they regularly have a collection of pre-owned Rolex, restored & guaranteed by an arguably questionable company. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Atebir said:

These days they regularly have a collection of pre-owned Rolex, restored & guaranteed by an arguably questionable company. 

Thanks.  They're Rolex's that Rolex won't service and therefore not as valuable and won't appreciate as much as a watch Rolex would service.  The questionable company providing the warranty service would be a drop in the bucket for most.