RCCL Cruiser booked NCL, what could possibly go wrong...

SPacificbound

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Feel the same....if what you want to do is people watch only when on vacation, just book a hotel in an amusement park or mall (which is what those inward facing balcony cabins remind of on Royal).   What's the purpose of being on a cruise ship otherwise?

And NO...you can never have too much of an ocean view and smells and sitting on a balcony overlooking the deep blue sea.  I enjoy having coffee in the a.m. on my balcony, a drink/nightcap at night on my ocean facing balcony, and sometimes just sit on my balcony to watch the pier runners after returning after a day of frivolity in port.

Try watching the ocean each and every day from your window/balcony and unfortunately it becomes insignificant and just a mundane view after years and years of nonstop watching it. 

Btw I cruise because it is a convenient way of going to multiple places without packing and unpacking and extensive amount of flights. Not everyone cruises for the sea or seaview.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 12:56 PM, European_CruiseGirl said:

Try watching the ocean each and every day from your window/balcony and unfortunately it becomes insignificant and just a mundane view after years and years of nonstop watching it. 

Btw I cruise because it is a convenient way of going to multiple places without packing and unpacking and extensive amount of flights. Not everyone cruises for the sea or seaview.

Sailing on the Ocean/Sea is a MAJOR reason I love cruising.  There's nothing like waking up and opening my balcony door to breath in the salt water and seeing the blue waters go by.  The view is NEVER mundane and I never take it for granted as being insignificant.  I appreciate it every single time I cruise.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

On 12/8/2023 at 7:52 AM, wolft927 said:

I will give NCL Freestyle dining a huge edge when comparing to anytime dining on RCCL. Whenever we have done Anytime on RCCL we always have a long wait, especially on the Oasis Class Ships. 

we always made reservations in MDR ahead of the cruise, and never had a problem with any long waits on RCI ships.

Also, NCL's food was atrocious. RCI's food was good.

On 12/7/2023 at 10:31 PM, SPacificbound said:

We have been cruising with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Cunard for 10 years. 

I decided to mix it up and book NCL Prima cruise out of Galveston for next November.

In reading in this sub-forum I've been trying to get a feel for the differences between Royal and NCL. Any Royal and NCL cruisers, I welcome your comments.

OK, 37 cruises under my belt in 20 years--Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, RCCL, NCL, MSC & DCL.

4 on RCCL, 2 years ago, Anthem in 2018, Quantum this fall.

5 on NCL, all in the last 4 years, plus Prima next month.

I agree with most of what others have said--mainstream lines are more alike than different. 

We find various ships to have things we love & bring us back to them.

I would say RCCL & NCL generally have the best production shows (though Celebrity Eclass is giving them a run for their $...may even surpass them if NCL keeps cutting them; Quantum had no production shows like we saw on the Anthem)

They also both tend to have more active activities--water slides, bumper cars, etc.

Food, overall activities & service--overall we find these comparable among all the lines we have sailed.

The BEST things about NCL Breakaway/Plus class is the Waterfront area. This is deck 8, with an outside bar on both port & starboard sides, specialty dining on the deck & seating all the way around. EVERY ship should have this!

And as @graphicguy said, the best non-production show at sea is Syd Norman's--on various NCL ships, INCLUDING Prima. I admit I a groupie. I will ONLY NCL book ships w/ Syds. I hate to wait for anything, but this girl shows up 60+ min. prior to show time to be SURE I get it.

Syd's is a show--but it's like the best cover band of late 70s-80s music you have ever heard. 
I've seen 3 different "bands" perform, each as great as the last.

They perform 4 different shows/week (last night is Prom) PLUS the Rumours album (2 shows on one night) from top to bottom, telling the stories behind each one. Even our 25YO daughter who was a tad bored during the regular shows (I mean she IS 25...) LOVED the Rumours show & would have sat thru it twice! (she consider it one of the top 5 albums of all times--she has excellent taste!) But since people were already lined up, that wasn't an option. LUCKILY they pipe the show out onto the Waterfront.

OK--drinks on the deck & we STILL get to hear the show? FANTASTIC.

As I said we are doing Prima next month so I will report back. 

We are truly doing this cruise for the ship (and the warm weather). 

It looks lovely & the rooms nicer than other Breakaway ships.

It's not Celebrity...and I can't comment on Cunard.

But we go with the attitude we will have a good time & we always do.

Tried MSC & not a fan--but still managed to have a good time!

After 25 cruises we tried Carnival & everyone said we would hate it after trying several other lines.

We LOVED it! 

Now, it was a 14 day cruise to Hawaii & sounds as if those longer cruises are the key to Carnival.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KKB said:

And as @graphicguy said, the best non-production show at sea is Syd Norman's--on various NCL ships, INCLUDING Prima. I admit I a groupie. I will ONLY NCL book ships w/ Syds. I hate to wait for anything, but this girl shows up 60+ min. prior to show time to be SURE I get it.

Syd's is a show--but it's like the best cover band of late 70s-80s music you have ever heard. 
I've seen 3 different "bands" perform, each as great as the last.

Are you sure Prima has Syd Norman's? I don't recall a venue for that from my sailing last month. I know they had the whole Fleetwood Mac thing. Is that the Syd show? As you can tell, it's not a reason I cruise, but definitely curious! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Are you sure Prima has Syd Norman's? I don't recall a venue for that from my sailing last month. I know they had the whole Fleetwood Mac thing. Is that the Syd show? As you can tell, it's not a reason I cruise, but definitely curious! 

Yep

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/prima/whats-on-board/Entertainment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We were on the Prima in August, and there was definitely a Syd Norman's Pour House. And I don't know how you could have known about the Fleetwood Mac show without realizing it was at Syd Norman's.

I even got the opportunity to speak to 2 of the singers about my experience at the original Woodstock festival in 1969.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ontheweb said:

We were on the Prima in August, and there was definitely a Syd Norman's Pour House. And I don't know how you could have known about the Fleetwood Mac show without realizing it was at Syd Norman's.

I even got the opportunity to speak to 2 of the singers about my experience at the original Woodstock festival in 1969.

Haha, because I knew Fleetwood Mac is a show that NCL does. I've never watched it as the intimate format (and music) doesn't appeal to me. I forgot it was a Syd Norman's show though. I do remember you mentioning your conversation regarding the original Woodstock. I'm thinking Bethel might be closer to you than the real Woodstock? 

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Haha, because I knew Fleetwood Mac is a show that NCL does. I've never watched it as the intimate format (and music) doesn't appeal to me. I forgot it was a Syd Norman's show though. I do remember you mentioning your conversation regarding the original Woodstock. I'm thinking Bethel might be closer to you than the real Woodstock? 

Yes, Bethel (where the festival was) is much closer.

I actually met 2 others on the cruise who had been at the festival. The first one told me he was hitchhiking and stopped by a state trooper who asked where he was going. He replied Woodstock, and was told no he should be trying to get to Bethel.

And that conversation actually took place as we were headed to Syd Norman's for their first show.

Edited by ontheweb
added last paragraph
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Early shows with the Syd’s band explains the fictional history of the fictional Syd Norman.  

The RUMOURS show is great, but so are the rest of the group’s shows!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Sailing on the Ocean/Sea is a MAJOR reason I love cruising.  There's nothing like waking up and opening my balcony door to breath in the salt water and seeing the blue waters go by.  The view is NEVER mundane and I never take it for granted as being insignificant.  I appreciate it every single time I cruise.

Oh no!

Please don't breathe in the salt WATER...😝

• Haha 2

I can understand where @European_CruiseGirl Is coming from. When you live and experience some sight as part of your “regular” life, it just “is” and it’s not what one seeks out for a vacation.

I live just outside DC, I’ve been there so often it’s not new and I rarely go there anymore unless it’s a special event or show. Well, it’s more complicated than because I’m bored with it … but the excitement of seeing the memorials etc has certainly waned…

now back to OP’s post

Prima is a lovely ship (just got off her sister, Viva, a couple weeks ago) and I’ve never had a long wait for a drink on either ship 😉

But .. We’re going on our 1st RCL cruises in Sep & Dec, so I have the flip question!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Don’t understand why someone would take a “cruise” who believes seeing the water from

their cabin to be “mundane”!

Hey, I didn't say that it was.

I just didn't want to see you drown out there on your balcony, LOL.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

I can understand where @European_CruiseGirl Is coming from. When you live and experience some sight as part of your “regular” life, it just “is” and it’s not what one seeks out for a vacation.

I live just outside DC, I’ve been there so often it’s not new and I rarely go there anymore unless it’s a special event or show. Well, it’s more complicated than because I’m bored with it … but the excitement of seeing the memorials etc has certainly waned…

now back to OP’s post

Prima is a lovely ship (just got off her sister, Viva, a couple weeks ago) and I’ve never had a long wait for a drink on either ship 😉

But .. We’re going on our 1st RCL cruises in Sep & Dec, so I have the flip question!

D.C.?  I understand your sentiments.  The Ocean or the Sea?  As all the sonnets, books, songs etc that have romanticized them all, I can't find it boring or mundane.  Moreover, having a balcony that faces the mall like areas on the Royal ships isn't something I'd want.....EVER!

If you find it to be boring or mundane to view the water, why even cruise?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

D.C.?  I understand your sentiments.  The Ocean or the Sea?  As all the sonnets, books, songs etc that have romanticized them all, I can't find it boring or mundane.  Moreover, having a balcony that faces the mall like areas on the Royal ships isn't something I'd want.....EVER!

If you find it to be boring or mundane to view the water, why even cruise?

I agree - if I’m going to be at sea, I wanna at least look out my window and “see the sea” (or ocean, depending on whichever giant water body we sailing on)!  

So my preference is a balcony but, depending on price point, I’m okay with an OV, and sometimes book an inside if THAT is a big price difference. (What I like about NCL is the multiple opportunities to upgrade with price drops and bids. The not so old adage is true — book what you’re happy with and see what the upgrade fairy brings) .

but OTOH,bcruising is a very economical way to visit the Caribbean islands.. cheaper than air+hotel/resort+food+entertainment and a Great way to sip on multiple historic cities in Europe. So I can see it  appealing to people for things other than the sea/ocean.

1 hour ago, ColdCruise said:

I agree - if I’m going to be at sea, I wanna at least look out my window and “see the sea” (or ocean, depending on whichever giant water body we sailing on)!  

So my preference is a balcony but, depending on price point, I’m okay with an OV, and sometimes book an inside if THAT is a big price difference. (What I like about NCL is the multiple opportunities to upgrade with price drops and bids. The not so old adage is true — book what you’re happy with and see what the upgrade fairy brings) .

but OTOH,bcruising is a very economical way to visit the Caribbean islands.. cheaper than air+hotel/resort+food+entertainment and a Great way to sip on multiple historic cities in Europe. So I can see it  appealing to people for things other than the sea/ocean.

Yeah....it's all relative to price.  I can find some mighty good deals on balcony cabins.  But, if I find a particularly good fare on an OV, I'm on it.  I did stay in a Solo Cabin on the Breakaway.  It was just too claustrophobic for me.  I know some who love those cabins, though.

I've sailed Royal quite a bit, too.  Those inward facing balcony cabins just make no sense to me.  You're paying for a balcony but are subject to having others seen in and only overlooking their inside passenger areas.  I do think they are a little cheaper, but I can't wrap my head around why I'd book it.

I'm on a cruise.  I need to wake to the ocean/sea.  If not, I may as well just stay at EPCOT or Universal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah....it's all relative to price.  I can find some mighty good deals on balcony cabins.  But, if I find a particularly good fare on an OV, I'm on it.  I did stay in a Solo Cabin on the Breakaway.  It was just too claustrophobic for me.  I know some who love those cabins, though.

I've sailed Royal quite a bit, too.  Those inward facing balcony cabins just make no sense to me.  You're paying for a balcony but are subject to having others seen in and only overlooking their inside passenger areas.  I do think they are a little cheaper, but I can't wrap my head around why I'd book it.

I'm on a cruise.  I need to wake to the ocean/sea.  If not, I may as well just stay at EPCOT or Universal.

Think of them as upgraded inside cabins. No clue offhand what the upcharge is.

It can be an interesting people watching opportunity (in the promenade, not the cabins across the way).

11 hours ago, graphicguy said:

4 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Think of them as upgraded inside cabins. No clue offhand what the upcharge is.

It can be an interesting people watching opportunity (in the promenade, not the cabins across the way).

I’m with you both.

We’re sailing on Wonder OtS with relatives next year. They love those inside balconies. However and despite the non-trivial uptick in cost, we’re sailing in a « ocean facing balcony » in the general vicinity of the fam. The glorified insides were not cheap either - definitely balcony pricing. Personally I prefer the smaller ships even without all the bells and whistles - Epic/Viva are the biggest ships we’ve been on in terms of souls on board. It’s gonna be a huge jump to the Wonder and I wanted to make sure I’d get some privacy and ocean time.

1 hour ago, ColdCruise said:

I’m with you both.

We’re sailing on Wonder OtS with relatives next year. They love those inside balconies. However and despite the non-trivial uptick in cost, we’re sailing in a « ocean facing balcony » in the general vicinity of the fam. The glorified insides were not cheap either - definitely balcony pricing. Personally I prefer the smaller ships even without all the bells and whistles - Epic/Viva are the biggest ships we’ve been on in terms of souls on board. It’s gonna be a huge jump to the Wonder and I wanted to make sure I’d get some privacy and ocean time.

I have not had the opportunity to sail on an Oasis class ship.

The previous RCCL ships have been known to have liberal amounts of public spaces relative to the number of passengers.

I loved the Voyager class (Adventure).

Loved Freedom even more (essential Voyager class on steroids).

Quantum class - something a bit different (sailed on Anthem).

For me, the only drawback on the size is the distance getting around.

On the other hand, ever wander around the Venetian in Las Vegas? Or some of the other gargantuan hotels? Maybe worse than those mega ships.

• Like 1

This thread helps me too because I've only sailed NCL, and while I like them a lot I want to try a different line next. Probably RCCL,  so the reverse of OP's situation.  RCCL currently sounds best to me...huge, fun ships and great entertainment.

However, I think I will miss NCL's anytime dining and the free at sea perks. Having the included drink package and meals at specialty restaurants makes the cruise feel more luxurious to me. I also like eating when I want...I think set dining times are inconvenient and old fashioned. And yes,  I do understand that free at sea is not free and I am paying for the perks in my cruise fare,  but I like that for my base fare I'm getting a really solid cruise with nice amenities.

I'm sure I could have a good time on any of the big three (NCL, RCCL, Carnival). The only line I'm hesitant about is MSC. Too many bad reviews and complaints about crowded ships and bad food. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, spookylu said:

This thread helps me too because I've only sailed NCL, and while I like them a lot I want to try a different line next. Probably RCCL,  so the reverse of OP's situation.  RCCL currently sounds best to me...huge, fun ships and great entertainment.

However, I think I will miss NCL's anytime dining and the free at sea perks. Having the included drink package and meals at specialty restaurants makes the cruise feel more luxurious to me. I also like eating when I want...I think set dining times are inconvenient and old fashioned. And yes,  I do understand that free at sea is not free and I am paying for the perks in my cruise fare,  but I like that for my base fare I'm getting a really solid cruise with nice amenities.

I'm sure I could have a good time on any of the big three (NCL, RCCL, Carnival). The only line I'm hesitant about is MSC. Too many bad reviews and complaints about crowded ships and bad food. 

I sailed the Allure.  Worth sailing.  You should try it.  The Oasis class ships are a different experience than NCL's big ships.  As has been mentioned, Royal tries to push everything inward in a mall type atmosphere.  NCL champions the water and outside decks (Waterfront activities).  Some like Royal's approach.  Some like NCL's approach.

I've embraced NCL's approach.

Like you state, even Royal's way of doing dining is centered around you having to make a reservation or be subject to long waits.  They just aren't set up for folks showing up whenever they want, like NCL does.

No right or wrong answers.  Just preferences.  If I find a particularly good fare with Royal, I'll book them, again.  But, my cabin has to be water facing.  Otherwise, I may as well have my vacation on a land based resort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

I have not had the opportunity to sail on an Oasis class ship.

The previous RCCL ships have been known to have liberal amounts of public spaces relative to the number of passengers.

I loved the Voyager class (Adventure).

Loved Freedom even more (essential Voyager class on steroids).

Quantum class - something a bit different (sailed on Anthem).

For me, the only drawback on the size is the distance getting around.

On the other hand, ever wander around the Venetian in Las Vegas? Or some of the other gargantuan hotels? Maybe worse than those mega ships.

Good analogy.  Oasis class (and above) ships are like a Vegas "strip" hotel.  And, it seems Royal is moving in that direction even more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spookylu said:

We’ve sailed on MSC, once in the Med and once in the Caribbean. We liked both cruises, drinks package is organized differently but MSC drinks are closer to what you’d pay at a decent but not fancy bar. Excursions at least in Europe were less expensive than NCL. Staff just as good but I think a lot more multilingual. I think their product was a better value option for European cruises than NCL & others that are traditionally appealing to Americans. The European cruise was structured differently on board & we enjoyed the international passenger mix. The Caribbean cruise wasn’t much different than NCL, other than price structures.

We’re looking at another MSC for a Northern Europe cruise. Weighing that vs a barge cruise for summer 2025. I would sail MSC over Princess, which is the only other “mainstream U.S.” line we tried. I’ll weigh that against RCL after I complete my Sep & Dec cruises with RCL. I recommend giving them a try.

• Like 1