The Trip Begins- Cartagena-Lima- Fort Lauderdale on the Nova

ronrick1943

2 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Thank you for your lovely  trip report.  Many years ago I was on a Panama  Cruise over Christmas and New Years on the Celebrity Century. On New Years Eve we were off coast  of PV. On the pool deck they had a great party with unlimited bottles of champagne ,both  guest and  crew were partying the night away. Great vibe. 

I loved Cartagena ,Columbia. Had a great private  tour.  Even  bought a emerald ring that I treasure.Bought 6 bags of coffee beans on this cruise in various ports.. It was memorable, met lots of fun cruisers from all over the world, even New Zealand. 

Silver Sea is not my cup of tea. I am now only sailing on Viking Ocean.

Thank  you for all your pictures and posts. 

Cheers! Patti

Thanks, happy you are enjoying it.. Cartagena is a fabulous place to visit, it’s just so hot in temperature.  But we had a great stay before the cruise and a couple of days when the ship stopped on the way back.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, WI-FI when out for most of the day.  They didn’t say anything about it at all, after a few phone calls they confirmed it was out.  They said we will let you know as soon as the problem is fixed.  Well they didn’t, nothing—we just tried again in the evening, now it’s time for dinner.  I’m going to come back with the good and the bad….a few of both.

Posted (edited)

The trip is really wrapping up now, today is the last full day of the cruise as we go to FLL port of entry to the United States.

What we liked and what when wrong, I’ll start with the negatives first.

1. Running out of supplies, mainly food items that should have always been on board.

2.Ordering a drink in a dining room and they have to go to a bar outside the dining venue.

3.When you drink a non-alcoholic wine, they have to go find it-how easy would it be to have it available like anything else.

4.Not controlling the crew announcements in your room.  Believe it or not they couldn’t find the Ass’t Cruise Director—all of the sudden they make an announcement in every room over the speaker system looking for this Director.

5.How far the bathrooms are from the dining rooms.

6. Being able to hear the washing machine in our suite, which is a high end suite.

7.Service was a little slow at times, not enough staffing.

8. Dress code, either have one or don’t. This cruise did not follow the code, jeans and other attire was OK.  I’m OK with both, just do what the people want.

9. Rude guest, and those that felt being loud and demanding was OK..

What we liked.

1. embarkation was really easy, but we only had 40 people getting on in Cartagena.

2.The staff, how professional and friendly.

3.Food in general was good, not the best-some hit and miss-but generally good.  They do need to work and the dessert’s fair at best.

4. Asking for something, they really try to work it out.

5.Medical team, good group of professionals and the clinic itself was put together nicely.

6.The ship nicely done, feels like a High End Resort.

That’s about it, if you have a question let me know.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

The trip is really wrapping up now, today is the last full day of the cruise as we go to FLL port of entry to the United States.

1. Running out of supplies, mainly food items that should have always been on board.

2.Ordering a drink in a dining room and they have to go to a bar outside the dining venue.

3.When you drink a non-alcoholic wine, they have to go find it-how easy would it be to have it available like anything else.

4.Not controlling the crew announcements in your room.  Believe it or not they couldn’t find the Ass’t Cruise Director—all of the sudden they make an announcement in every room over the speaker system looking for this Director.

6. Being able to hear the washing machine in our suite, which is a high end suite.

8. Dress code, either have one or don’t. This cruise did not follow the code, jeans and other attire was OK.  I’m OK with both, just do what the people want.

What we liked.

1. embarkation was really easy, but we only had 40 people getting on in Cartagena.

3.Food in general was good, not the best-some hit and miss-but generally good.  They do need to work and the dessert’s fair at best.

5.Medical team, good group of professionals and the clinic itself was put together nicely.

Can you speak more about the dress code? What was allowed or not etc.

Thanks for all your post!

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

What we liked.

Thanks so much for everything in the review. Made us excited for our trip. Only a few months to go!

Only thing we are worried about now is that we are in our 30s and from everything we have heard, may be amongst the youngest passengers on board :). 

4 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Only thing we are worried about now is that we are in our 30s and from everything we have heard, may be amongst the youngest passengers on board :). 

As the calendar goes, that is correct, but I'll think you find most people equivalent in terms of activity and ability to savor the special benefits of this line.  Have a great trip!

11 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Thanks so much for everything in the review. Made us excited for our trip. Only a few months to go!

There are definitely more younger passengers now than before the pandemic. On our cruises quite a few 40 or younger.

Besides us old dinosaurs like talking to others and those of us on SS usually have a lot of travel experiences so you may be able to get some good travel advice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, drron29 said:

There are definitely more younger passengers now than before the pandemic. On our cruises quite a few 40 or younger.

Besides us old dinosaurs like talking to others and those of us on SS usually have a lot of travel experiences so you may be able to get some good travel advice.

My experience is that the older folks who are still interested in and able to cruise are living for the present, not stuck in the past.  But as @drron29 says, they're ['our,' at this point!] travel experiences may be a part of the past that you would be interested in hearing about as part of  your future travel planning. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My experience is that the older folks who are still interested in and able to cruise are living for the present, not stuck in the past.  But as @drron29 says, they're ['our,' at this point!] travel experiences may be a part of the past that you would be interested in hearing about as part of  your future travel planning. 

Thanks for the feedback!

On 1/3/2024 at 11:14 AM, seaver said:

Can you speak more about the dress code? What was allowed or not etc.

Thanks for all your post!

We were on Christmas and New Years, so both nights people dress pretty nice as it was a formal evening.  The other most men did not wear jackets and we really weren’t counting but most nights we saw a lot jeans and a few polo shirts.  We didn’t see anyone enforcing a dress code.  In fact the management team at the restaurants took your suite number and seated them.

On 1/3/2024 at 11:16 AM, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Unless there are children on board you will be the youngest.  I’m sure you’ll still have fun.

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This cruise we were on, we had a few younger cruisers (40-50) and we had a lot of complainers in that age group.  It same like nothing could please them and unfortunately they made it known.  Sad, we had thinks that didn’t go right but it was a big deal, the crew on the ship didn’t make the mistakes.

Just to add two items.  The popcorn you can order from your Butler was really good.

Also don’t miss the soups, this ship really does know how to make really good flavorful soups.

disembarkation, this was pretty normal- we just waited to be near the end.  All luggage was neatly in a row and easy to find.  They had porters, customs was a breeze-in fact one of the easiest.  They just asked to see your passport, and said Welcome, please leave.  Three steps later you are outside.  Didn’t even ask what we spend or what!!!!!!

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0357.jpeg

• Like 2

MSC parked next to us—kind of a big difference in size.  This is the end leaving Mexico with the final sunset before arriving at the Port of Fort Lauderdale.  Over all we had a good time, like I said before some good and some so-so, but nothing to say we didn’t enjoy the cruise.

IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@ronrick1943 You made this review as if I was on the ship with you. I really enjoyed your honesty. FYI- I was on the Princess CC board (I have a family in law reunion cruise coming up 😏🥺) and there was a review from someone on the Panama cruise at the same time. They have a great picture of the Nova as it came up next to them. 

14 hours ago, tulok said:

@ronrick1943 You made this review as if I was on the ship with you. I really enjoyed your honesty. FYI- I was on the Princess CC board (I have a family in law reunion cruise coming up 😏🥺) and there was a review from someone on the Panama cruise at the same time. They have a great picture of the Nova as it came up next to them. 

Thanks so much, it was fun writing the report and Not only did I want to be honest, I also wanted to have some fun with it.  I enjoyed the cruise and the trip, a little long for us and happy to be home now.  I really do think Silversea has a good product, especially the staff on the ship. I believe management has a lot to work on because from my experience this wasn’t really was fully luxury-I truly expected a little more.  One of the big problems was running out of product/ingredients during the cruise.  No excuses for this to happen, mid cruise.

• Like 2

Like I said, it’s over now and we are back at home.  We did stay a few days in Florida, We flew out this morning with one change of planes in Denver.  All was go, and best of all everything was on time and all luggage arrived with us at home.

This is who we see as we walked into our home, or her (Lulu) home.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the New Year, at least part on the ocean………….

Lulu_082319 copy.jpeg

Lulu_082319 copy.jpeg

• Like 12