'Twas Two Weeks Before Christmas - Live from the Nieuw Statendam, Dec. 10 - 17, 2023

POA1

Possible washout for HMC tomorrow. We both got calls from the city of Fort Lauderdale warning of flooding with up to 8 inches of rain through tomorrow night.

Rain & 30 mph winds expected for Little San Salvador in the Bahamas. I feel bad for first timers because it's a beautiful stop. We've always considered HMC to be a crap shoot this early in the season, so I am not surprised. Guess we'll have to find something else to do. I was going to sign up for Adult Coloring, but I found out that they do not actually let you draw on adults with markers. It's all paper and crayons.

• Like 4
  • Haha 17

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Possible washout for HMC tomorrow. We both got calls from the city of Fort Lauderdale warning of flooding with up to 8 inches of rain through tomorrow night.

Rain & 30 mph winds expected for Little San Salvador in the Bahamas. I feel bad for first timers because it's a beautiful stop. We've always considered HMC to be a crap shoot this early in the season, so I am not surprised. Guess we'll have to find something else to do. I was going to sign up for Adult Coloring, but I found out that they do not actually let you draw on adults with markers. It's all paper and crayons.

Bummer about HMC. 

I had a different thought about "Adult Coloring." 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/14/2023 at 11:00 AM, POA1 said:

Michelle said, and I quote: "Tell her, heck no. I can't even sew on a button."

We found PJ's Mile Marker Zero (for US Coastal Route 1) in Key West years ago.  After that, we tried in vain to find him shirts in port.  The Research Department found a company called Mandy's Moon that does small run, custom imprint shirts in Poohby Joe's size. He's hard to fit.

We have a concept meeting to decide what shirts we should create. Then, the Art Department comes up with the art work in the correct format, 300 dpi JPEG or PNG with an alpha channel transparency.  We order the shirts and they're back within a week or so.

Here are the designs for the current trip:

HAL-Classic-Logo-Shirt.thumb.jpg.342c67a735d97fb2d5ce64e2f7d647e4.jpg

Embarkation Day - Classic HAL Logo

Cabana-Living-Shirt.thumb.jpg.b359a10f96e6bb5052f3dc2321a4c783.jpg

We're coming up on the 10th Anniversary Edition of the guide, so there's this collectable shirt.

Club-Orange-Nieuw-Statendam.thumb.jpg.a44d1d8e686104cbef953af8afd8a786.jpg

And finally, Club Orange is new since we last sailed.  We have a vintage Holland America poster on an orange shirt. He's got a Rotterdam version for our Spring '24 cruise.

I made adult versions of Poohby Joe's Tshirt for my upcoming cruise on the Rotterdam 12/29.  This one is for my friend and mine is navy blue and white.  I thought you might enjoy it.  We plan on making use of our drink package!!  We'll try to upgrade it once on board.

20231214_201244.jpg

20231214_201253.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'll try to remain optimistic, about HMC, but the City of Fort Lauderdale keeps calling with weather warnings. (We have wifi calling through T-Mobile. This allows our nap to be interrupted anywhere in the world.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, keeponcruising said:

I made adult versions of Poohby Joe's Tshirt for my upcoming cruise on the Rotterdam 12/29.  This one is for my friend and mine is navy blue and white.  I thought you might enjoy it.  We plan on making use of our drink package!!  We'll try to upgrade it once on board.

20231214_201244.jpg

20231214_201253.jpg

I think the shirt is perfect as is. Why would you want to upgrade it? Longer sleeves? A hood? Drink holder pocket? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I'll try to remain optimistic, about HMC, but the City of Fort Lauderdale keeps calling with weather warnings. (We have wifi calling through T-Mobile. This allows our nap to be interrupted anywhere in the world.)

Enjoying your report.

Could you post a link to the Pinnacle Lunch menu on your cruise?

• Like 1

We had lunch in the Retreat Area today. I ran to the Crow's Nest for drinks. Michelle had a Lagunitas IPA, or as she calls it, "the puppy beer."  I ordered the Trader Vic's Mai Tai, with the Myers dark rum floater.

17026490536192.thumb.jpg.ca0a60cbca33d035956ce7093ef3bd9d.jpg

My drink was filled to the brim. I had to take a sip so I could carry it without spilling. That sip? The floater.

Michelle repeated yesterday's salad from New York Pizza and Deli: The Motown substitute Caesar dressing.

17026490534190.thumb.jpg.282cbc45c770c2be55cc5c7f0f4256cd.jpg

I had the Pastrami sandwich. The pastrami was really good. I should have ordered double meat. Nice rye bread within a light toasting.

As you can see in the photo above, the cabana guys brought an extra bowl of potato chips. We didn't even ask for them. Thank you, Bubble of Awesome!

17026490535741.thumb.jpg.1ce3f60ea82236ea28f4432d811179b5.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, neither of us recall seeing anything about a charge for a second appetizer. However, we only had a starter and an entrée.

We did, however, have a glass of wine with each course.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, POA1 said:

FWIW, neither of us recall seeing anything about a charge for a second appetizer. However, we only had a starter and an entrée.

Brian, it was on the TV screen from our stateroom this morning under Appetizer.

• Like 2

The Mariner Delft tiles were delivered today. They come with a "certificate of authenticity." (Have they always?) That should cut down on the rampant Mariner tile counterfeiting operations.

17026490872303.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks for the menu - unless I'm missing it, I don't see a 2nd app surcharge. 

Once again, the Institute swiftly delivers w/excellence. 

• Like 1

Just now, LAFFNVEGAS said:
Just now, POA1 said:

Brian, it was on the TV screen from our stateroom this morning under Appetizer.

Thanks, Lisa. We haven't had the television on except for the safety video and the occasional bow cam for announcements. We last had it on when I looked up Henk Draper's name to answer it question.

• Like 2

Just now, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for the menu - unless I'm missing it, I don't see a 2nd app surcharge. 

Once again, the Institute swiftly delivers w/excellence. 

Lisa saw it on the television. I think she had lunch there today, so she probably knows the latest. I suppose you always tell them you don't watch TV on vacation. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Lisa saw it on the television. I think she had lunch there today, so she probably knows the latest. I suppose you always tell them you don't watch TV on vacation. 😁

Right - so the printed version you receive in the venue and the one provided for your entertainment pleasure (TV) are not aligned.🤔🫣

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks, Lisa. We haven't had the television on except for the safety video and the occasional bow cam for announcements. We last had it on when I looked up Henk Draper's name to answer it question.

Tom’s Navigator app on his iPad is still not working so he checks the TV screen daily for the menus, I actually caught it on the tv for Pinnacle lunch. 

• Like 2

Poohby Joe is sad that it's the last formal night. (We don't use term "dressy" with the bear. He thinks it's respectful of his fellow passengers to be at tired appropriately for dinner.)

17026539624010.thumb.jpg.11c8d47882cb6852588473927b89d5bc.jpg

He's also a embarrassed about the tag incident earlier.

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Welcome to our family tradition, formal night caviar and champagne. Tudor, the Pinnacle Grill manager was gracious enough to accommodate us for a little caviar snack before dinner.

17026604196991.thumb.jpg.41b4fd6a94c86f642e1cd045c5ae6a47.jpg

When you order a glass of bubbly and they just bring the whole bottle, you feel like you are both known and loved.

17026604195520.thumb.jpg.a417e82a42312586fbc5e29822c4c72d.jpg

The accoutrements.

17026604197783.thumb.jpg.0780e3b9d00bd94394bd32ba022aa866.jpg

An ounce per person, a respectable amount.

17026604197402.thumb.jpg.58e5d36812a067abf2f5ebc84fcf6d9a.jpg

17026604198565.thumb.jpg.0a117901b7bfb5b0dc19a0a9d1402fda.jpg

That's two photos with me in them. I'm at my quota for 2023.

17026604198114.thumb.jpg.3dfef0e34fbde2a002fefe07555dcb21.jpg

Edited by POA1
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Welcome to our family tradition, formal night caviar and champagne. Tudor, the Pinnacle Grill manager was gracious enough to accommodate us for a little caviar snack before dinner.

I love this idea.  Perfect timing with Main Dining.   When you say Tudor accommodated you does that mean you didn’t need to pay the PG surcharge to have the caviar?

I would love to do this for both PG (for the caviar) and Sel de Mer (for the fruits de Mer) if I didn’t need to pay the fee for the restaurant.

After all, both items are hefty surcharges.

Great pics - thank you for acquiescing 🙂 

• Like 3