Aft cabin - Arvia

doog442

I had this romantic notion of watching the wake so booked a cabin for our upcoming Caribbean. I was aware of the risk from the infinity pool on deck 16 so booked a cabin two over to one side of the drop zone on deck 11, notwithstanding wind of course 🙂 

I've just seen a recent video review which specifically says 'if you don't like thumping music don't book an aft cabin'. They then mention a DJ and loud music at the Sunset bar during the day. Anyone had any experience of this ? We've been on numerous ships with sunset bars but never had a DJ with thumping music on what we were hoping would be a peaceful part of the ship, clearly not in this case.

As I said I was aware of the water risk from above but would have thought this might have been addressed by now. Sea conditions accepted someone commented on this recent review they were dressed up for the evening and got soaked from above. They were, like us in a cabin , two over from the 'drop zone'.

So have I inadvertently booked a cabin where the risk of a soaking is still a problem and above a daytime nightclub with thumping music outside, it looks that way. Damnit, it was a select and I basically had the choice of anywhere when I booked  😬 with a decent OBC. 

If so, this will probably exceed my last 'saver' booking that allocated us a cabin on deck 8 where EVERYONE walking the promenade deck anti clockwise had no choice but to look straight at our balcony due to negotiating the glass windbreak forward🤣. That was cancelled btw..mixed feelings on that. 

Edited by doog442

We briefly considered the sole accessible suite on Iona (identical layout), but when we discovered that it was at the aft and just above the Sunset Bar, where we read in the P&O blurb that music was played, we ditched the idea very quickly. We also didn’t like the fact that on Iona and Arvia the aft cabins are set well back from the actual back of the ship.

When we were on Iona we checked it out from below and were glad that we hadn’t booked it, as we like a quiet balcony without a noisy area underneath it. All that being said, on deck 11 you would be one deck further up (which might make a tiny bit of difference). I recall there being music but I don’t remember it being overly loud (there was no DJ when we were there, just recorded music), but it can be a crowded area and with that comes noise. 

I believe that @grapau27 has stayed in an aft cabin or suite on Iona so will be able to give you first hand feedback on whether this is an issue or not. I can’t comment on the infinity pool. I’m aware of the issue but on the few times that we were aft we didn’t see any waterfalls!

If, after you’ve had more replies, you decide to change cabin (which, with a Select booking you can obviously do) I would happily recommend the deluxe balcony cabins on the starboard side, from deck 10 to deck 14. As they are on the ‘hump’ they are much closer to the water than all the other cabins on the ship, which are set some way back due to the very wide protruding promenade deck. The starboard ones are the ones to go for, as the promenade deck under that part is very narrow with no seating, so nobody congregates there. We were only on deck 10 (the lowest of the 5 decks) and had no noise issues at all and, having checked out the whole ship, we were happy that we’d booked the best location on the ship. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@doog442.

We were on deck 14 aft on Iona November 11th-November 25th 2023 sailing from Southampton to the Canary Islands and back to Southampton.

This was the second time in this aft cabin.

We spent a lot of time on our balcony and there was very little noise from the sunset bar.

There is a big white canopy over the sunset bar so cabins on 9 and 10 might not see the sea wake.

The clubhouse on deck 8 aft had entertainment at night but we experienced no noise whatsoever in our cabin.

The infinity pool on deck 16 was empty and cordoned off for the full 14 nights of our cruise.

IMG_20231117_131212.jpg

IMG_20231121_072054.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had an aft cabin on Arvia on deck 11. Loved it. No problem with either water or noise. We had also read the negative reviews, after booking, but decided to go for it anyway and we are so glad we did. We have an aft booked on both Iona and Arvia next year, both on deck 12. We are very disappointed that we can’t get an aft cabin on our next Iona cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

@doog442.

We were on deck 14 aft on Iona November 11th-November 25th 2023 sailing from Southampton to the Canary Islands and back to Southampton.

This was the second time in this aft cabin.

We spent a lot of time on our balcony and there was very little noise from the sunset bar.

There is a big white canopy over the sunset bar so cabins on 9 and 10 might not see the sea wake.

The clubhouse on deck 8 aft had entertainment at night but we experienced no noise whatsoever in our cabin.

The infinity pool on deck 16 was empty and cordoned off for the full 14 nights of our cruise.

IMG_20231117_131212.jpg

IMG_20231121_072054.jpg

Great pics, thanks. 

I feel a bit better now 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We had an aft cabin on Arvia on deck 11. Loved it. No problem with either water or noise. We had also read the negative reviews, after booking, but decided to go for it anyway and we are so glad we did. We have an aft booked on both Iona and Arvia next year, both on deck 12. We are very disappointed that we can’t get an aft cabin on our next Iona cruise. 

Deck 11 ...good to know and thanks very much for replying. I wanted slightly further up and out of the so called 'water feature' but they were all gone and this was last Jan (for next Jan), clearly a popular choice and hopefully worth it. It will be our first 'aft' cabin, the soot issue put me off Britannia and a few others but presume no problem in that regard.

• Like 1

Just now, doog442 said:

Great pics, thanks. 

I feel a bit better now 

Thank you.

We love aft balconies and have the same balcony cabin on deck 14 on Arvia next year.

My avatar picture was from our aft balcony on Britannia in June.

I'm certain you will have an amazing cruise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, doog442 said:

Deck 11 ...good to know and thanks very much for replying. I wanted slightly further up and out of the so called 'water feature' but they were all gone and this was last Jan (for next Jan), clearly a popular choice and hopefully worth it. It will be our first 'aft' cabin, the soot issue put me off Britannia and a few others but presume no problem in that regard.

No soot whatsoever on Iona.

Aft elevators reasonably close but not to close to aft cabins so easy access to all of the restaurants except Epicurean which is at the front of the ship.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, doog442 said:

It will be our first 'aft' cabin, the soot issue put me off Britannia and a few others but presume no problem in that regard.

I’m sure that you will enjoy it. Potential noise issues aside, aft cabins have a lovely perspective. We thoroughly enjoyed ours on Ventura and Arcadia. You are correct that there is no risk of soot on Iona or Arvia. This was a problem on our aft balcony on Britannia. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, doog442 said:

I've just seen a recent video review which specifically says 'if you don't like thumping music don't book an aft cabin'. They then mention a DJ and loud music at the Sunset bar during the day. Anyone had any experience of this ? We've been on numerous ships with sunset bars but never had a DJ with thumping music on what we were hoping would be a peaceful part of the ship, clearly not in this case.

We had a corner suite on deck 15 in Sept. It was like being at a 90's rave.....boom boom boom! He dose an afternoon, then sailaway then back on 7-10. He finishes at 10pm. The music in the Sunset Bar is fine, its not loud until he comes on. 

Maybe it depends on the itinerary. We were on the repo from Barbados to Southampton and never heard any kind of thumping music. It may be that they are catering for a younger crowd on the summer med cruises and the entertainment is adjusted to suit. 

• Like 2

The rear cabins on Arvia will all be susceptible to noise from the loud thumping dance music on deck 8. That usually lasts until about 10.00pm. We were on a cruise in November and we heard from a few people in the rear cabins that the noise was an issue. Complaining to reception though was as usual a total waste of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

So you didn’t actually experience the noise yourself?  We didn’t have any problem and didn’t speak to anyone who did. I hope the OP won’t be put off. We really enjoyed the aft cabin and spend a lot of time on our balcony. 

Maybe he wasn't on your cruise coming back from Barbados. On the Med cruise in Sept it was horrendous. By the way Arvia sold out of paracetamol.

• Like 1

No, he wasn’t on our cruise, we came back from Barbados in April. We had heard about the noise before we went and were anticipating it. It didn’t happen though.  Must have been a one off - we have an Arvia cruise in September and will now probably cancel. 

16 minutes ago, sandancer said:

No, he wasn’t on our cruise, we came back from Barbados in April. We had heard about the noise before we went and were anticipating it. It didn’t happen though.  Must have been a one off - we have an Arvia cruise in September and will now probably cancel. 

We were on a B2B incorporating the repositioning cruise in March/April on Arvia in an

aft suite.  For the first few days the noise was horrendous, we had to retreat into the 

cabin and close the doors. We complained vociferously to the butler who,  because he had

other complaints, dealt with it and the noise ceased thereafter. So that is why you were not

affected, it was stopped during our first fortnight and did not recommence. The weather over

the Atlantic was fabulous every day and we were able to enjoy the splendid balcony in peace.

• Like 1

I can confirm my deck 9 aft  small balcony was horrendous and the noise unfortunately on occasion did not end until 1.00am.  I was not alone with the complaint, witnessing very many people complaining vociferously including a family who went in their pyjamas complete with their children to stand in reception at 12.45am.  They were lucky as a cabin was found for them the next morning.  My battle continued for four days and at one point I was going to leave the ship at the second port when my promised move did not materialise. Eventually on the fourth day I was moved at 11.00pm to an inside cabin 9n deck 4 forward which was thankfully quiet. During in my many meetings with managers and staff I was told there are over 100 cabins onboard Arvia which have noise issues ranging from niggling to totally unacceptable.  Certainly I could not live with the noise but obviously that is a personal thing.  I will add my complaint on return was dealt with exceptionally well by P&O but I do think that was most likely to the fact the voyage in question had numerous problems (not all noise related but disorganisation with shuttles etc) that were not handled at all well onboard.

What I would say is if you are someone who is out and about late you lost likely would be in a different situation to myself.  I am particularly noise sensitive and spend a fair amount of time in my cabin and on the balcony and also retire relatively early.  

Sandancer regarding your September cruise could you perhaps consider moving your cabin rather than cancelling?  You may find you are fine with the location as you stated you had no issues previously.  It may not be wise to cancel based on others experiences and also I found it very upsetting to deal with people suggesting my experience was causing them to do that.

I do however believe people should be aware there may be potential noise issues but we are all different and have different tolerances.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, silkworms said:

We were on a B2B incorporating the repositioning cruise in March/April on Arvia in an

aft suite.  For the first few days the noise was horrendous, we had to retreat into the 

cabin and close the doors. We complained vociferously to the butler who,  because he had

other complaints, dealt with it and the noise ceased thereafter. So that is why you were not

affected, it was stopped during our first fortnight and did not recommence. The weather over

the Atlantic was fabulous every day and we were able to enjoy the splendid balcony in peace.

Well thank you for that. You obviously paved the way for our very pleasant balcony sojourns. The weather was indeed fantastic. We have been doing TAs for years and weather wise this was one of the best. 

I would never cancel a cruise following posts on CC Megabear nor would I expect anyone to take my experience as the norm. You pays your money and you takes your chance. We are on Iona for New Year and we’re disappointed that we can’t get an aft balcony. However since Arvia we have acquired a wheelchair and it may well be that our mid ship balcony will prove much more manageable. 

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Must have been a one off - we have an Arvia cruise in September and will now probably cancel. 

I'm delighted you aren't considering cancelling based on others experiences.  I get very nervous of mentioning my experience since at the time I received comments that upset me greatly and was accused of making people cancel, it was a horrendous personal experience made worse.

I hope you have a great New Year cruise.

The video that caused me to raise the issue was on a Med cruise it appears looking at it again.

We weren't expecting total silence as I was aware we were above the Sunset bar, there's also Jacuzzis which in our experience cause people to talk in raised voices. 

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I can confirm my deck 9 aft  small balcony was horrendous and the noise unfortunately on occasion did not end until 1.00am. 

We're deck 11 above the sunset bar, I presume you were above the club house which for us won't be an issue, more the 'alleged' DJ at the Sunset bar. Sorry to hear about your problem btw. As long as he stops at a reasonable time (if he's performing) it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by doog442
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, doog442 said:

The video that caused me to raise the issue was on a Med cruise it appears looking at it again.

We weren't expecting total silence as I was aware we were above the Sunset bar, there's also Jacuzzis which in our experience cause people to talk in raised voices. 

We're deck 11 above the sunset bar, I presume you were above the club house which for us won't be an issue, more the 'alleged' DJ at the Sunset bar. Sorry to hear about your problem btw. As long as he stops at a reasonable time (if he's performing) it shouldn't be an issue.

I was indeed above the club house. It was an upgrade despite my stating jo upgrades and I was told take it or leave it.

We've had aft cabins 14739 on Iona (Easter school holidays) and Arvia 10742 (August school holidays). Neither of those was splashed from the infinity pool above but we did see other balconies affected. Both times it was children throwing the water over the side so I'd hope that is less likely to happen outside school holidays.

We couldn't hear any noise from the Club House in our (lower down) Arvia cabin but if you were out on the balcony mid to late afternoon you could hear the music from the Sunset Bar. It wasn't booming out when we heard it; if anything it was just rather uninspiring background music. Doubtless it will vary depending on the DJ and the audience they are playing to on each cruise.

We loved both aft cabins and if you've chosen 11741/2 then I would hope that you wouldn't be affected by any balcony waterfalls or the noise below. There are a few photos of our Arvia cabin below.

image.png.6a41b61ac9e0e835975c715a3709e3d9.png

image.png.07ff6abe70dca5b5805351fe8a2fd19d.png

image.png.87caf31fb27a04b33b5958ed9fc19f0f.png

Arvia.jpg

Edited by DamianG
  • Thanks 1