Casual Dining reservations for dinner?

Jetswdo

I am interested in dining a couple of times in Salty Dog as well as when offered, Planks---- I have already booked on web version of App. Dine my Way, for Crown Grille.  Looking over a few of the Patters that someone was kind enough to post.  I was surprised that it said "reservations" for those casual dining options.  I am aware that Planks is offered every other night or so on sailings.  What I am trying to say, is for these two casual restaurants, do you have to make reservations when you board the ship, in my case, The Emerald?  Or is this a same day kind of thing?  Just trying to understand the system!  Thanks,  Anita

I've been following some Live Threads and it appears that on embarkation day, neither Planks nor Steamers is open. After that, Planks is open on odd numbered days (ie Day 3, etc) and Steamers on even (Day 2,4 etc). 

Edited by canadarocks

We were on the Sky about 3 weeks ago. We had booked Premier and ate at Alfredo's several times. We never made reservations. They apparently were not needed because on at least 2 days (for lunch) our party of 4 were the only ones there! We had the whole place to ourselves. 

I wish Alfredo's would be on Emerald- I loved eating there on embarkation day on the Regal and Royal-

But alas, not on the Emerald-  But am I to understand that Planks, Steamers (not appealing to me- I only like lobster, fish and chips, and large crab legs) and Salty Dog in Wheelhouse, are not available to reserve on web site?  But they are necessary to reserve on ship, using reservation ext. 6219, same day or otherwise?  Again, just trying to understand the system for this.

According to the patters, it stated that the casual dining places needed to have a reservation.  I just want to know now if this is done for same day, or needs to be done in advance.  So I assume, unless something changes, this is not done before cruise.