MDR Charge

pajazz28

I just saw a You Tube video that says that if you order e entrees in the MDR they charge yuo $5. Is this true because I have not seen that anywhere else. If true is it a charge of $5.00 3 and more or is it $5 for each entree after the 2nd one? 

2 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

If one orders five entrees id expect more than a few stares.  

I have 3 former college athletes in my entourage and none cleared both entrees they ordered last night. 

Back in the days of plenty some folks would order 5 or more lobster tails on elegant evening. I think the $5 charge was instituted for folks like that more than anything.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Back in the days of plenty some folks would order 5 or more lobster tails on elegant evening. I think the $5 charge was instituted for folks like that more than anything.

Exactly. There were people who would order one of each entrée and take one bite of each one. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mz-s said:

A 3 to 4 ounce lobster tail is a taste and if that's all I'm eating I could put a few away. They are only ok to me, because I live in New England so I'm spoiled by Maine lobster. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

A 3 to 4 ounce lobster tail is a taste and if that's all I'm eating I could put a few away. They are only ok to me, because I live in New England so I'm spoiled by Maine lobster. 

I agree but some on here act like it's tantamount to a tire fire.

21 hours ago, pajazz28 said:

Sorry just thought of another question have about Chibang and the Capitano de Cuchina does it also apply is those resturants? 

The charges in Chibang and Capitano are different than the MDR charge.  You get one meal in each of those restaurants (not considered one of the MDRs) for free.  If you dine in there again, it's $8 per person per meal.  There's no per item charge like the "excessive main course" in the MDR.

And there's one extra charge in the MDR that you didn't mention - the extra main courses from the steakhouse.  Those cost $23 each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

3-4 ounces is the correct portion size for meat by any nutritional guide. Not sure why lobster would be different than chicken or beef. 

• Like 4

While you won't get lobster or prime rib on the buffet, if you want more food without paying extra the best bet is the buffet. You can get all you want up there, and typically the menu is pretty much the same as the MDR.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

3-4 ounces is the correct portion size for meat by any nutritional guide. Not sure why lobster would be different than chicken or beef. 

Just pointing out there is a difference between a tail and a whole Maine lobster.

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Never really got into the “crave” on cruise lobster…usally pass on it.

A rule in my life that typically works out well is to never turn down lobster when it's available. Now, if Wendy's starts serving lobster I might need to alter my rule of thumb.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, mz-s said:

A rule in my life that typically works out well is to never turn down lobster when it's available. Now, if Wendy's starts serving lobster I might need to alter my rule of thumb.

I get it and you are in the majority…..and I do like it.  I think I only have had it once in the last 20 cruises.  Now Wendy’s….

Outside of the example of someone wanting extra lobster, I have a really hard time seeing someone needing more than 2 entrees. Unless someone is just ordering to have a few bites of each; and in that case by all means, charge them for wasting all that food.

I believe starters are unlimited. You could always hit up the buffet if still hungry after dinner I guess. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

Outside of the example of someone wanting extra lobster, I have a really hard time seeing someone needing more than 2 entrees. Unless someone is just ordering to have a few bites of each; and in that case by all means, charge them for wasting all that food.

I believe starters are unlimited. You could always hit up the buffet if still hungry after dinner I guess. 

That's why I mentioned the buffet because most of what they're serving in the MDR is on the buffet nowadays. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I think that is exactly what people were doing, ordering 3 or more just to try a bite of each. Add it up and it does, well, add up.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

That's why I mentioned the buffet because most of what they're serving in the MDR is on the buffet nowadays. 

Exactly and you can go back as often as you want to if you are of mind to (or just take a small spoonful if all you want is a taste).

• Like 2