Carnival Vacation Protection Insurance Question

awhitleycrew

Ok, we have a cruise booked for 2 cabins leaving June 30. Final payment is due April 1st and so far I've only paid the deposits. Long story short we need to cancel this booking and rebook for different dates due to work issues for 2 in our party. I called Carnival last night to confirm I couldn't just change dates without losing the deposits and of course we can't.  

One rep I spoke to mentioned if I had the Carnival insurance I could use it to get 75% of the deposits back in future cruise credits.  I had to use this insurance this summer for a name change and did get 75% back in cruise credit but it took several phone calls and was a hassle BUT it is a way to try and get some of this money back.

It is still showing available to purchase and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy it now and try to use it soon to cancel.  My fear is there is a time frame where I need to have purchased it earlier. 

I know that's a lot but wondered if anyone else has tried this to help recoup some of your deposit.  I get caught in this all the time: book early and get great rates but then have to cancel because something unforeseen comes up! 

I believe that Carnivals insurance does include job constraints as a covered reason. I believe that you have to get 2 signatures from officers of the company.

Then again, insurance is to cover unscheduled events and you must be able to travel on the day it is purchased. Now that it is out there on the world wide web that you have not purchased the insurance yet AND you know that some people have been told they can't travel due to work, your claim should be denied. Insurance companies don't stay in business by not investigating. 

You can add this coverage prior to final payment with cancel for any reason included. So, yes, you can essentially add it at this point and cancel. It would probably have been significantly better if you hadn't declared this issue on the internet. Typically insurance won't cover any claim that you knew you had to make before you purchased the insurance.

10 hours ago, awhitleycrew said:

Of course the more I think about it I don't think it makes sense because I'm having to pay more money to get some back haha

How much was your deposit and how much is the insurance?

I can't imagine your net recovery would be all that much, and yeah, there is the whole insurance fraud thing...

• Like 1

I'm not trying to commit insurance fraud, that's for sure! Just trying to see what all of my options are.  It wouldn't really help me anyway so not going to bother even trying.

I think I am going to reach out to a PVP and see if they can help, not cheat the system but figure out my best option. Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awhitleycrew said:

I'm not trying to commit insurance fraud, that's for sure! Just trying to see what all of my options are.  It wouldn't really help me anyway so not going to bother even trying.

I think I am going to reach out to a PVP and see if they can help, not cheat the system but figure out my best option. Thanks

Did you book thru a PVP?

On 12/18/2023 at 10:58 PM, awhitleycrew said:

Of course the more I think about it I don't think it makes sense because I'm having to pay more money to get some back haha

If the additional money spent and the hassle of recouping it is more than the loss, don't do it.

On 12/18/2023 at 10:58 PM, awhitleycrew said:

Well, typically only $50 of your deposit per person is not refundable, the remaining deposit is available as a future cruise credit. If you use the CFAR provision of the cruise line insurance you get 75% of the fare back, but only as a future cruise credit. So I would say spending money is just an extra, unnecessary step.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Well, typically only $50 of your deposit per person is not refundable, the remaining deposit is available as a future cruise credit. If you use the CFAR provision of the cruise line insurance you get 75% of the fare back, but only as a future cruise credit. So I would say spending money is just an extra, unnecessary step.

Totally agree.  You beat me to posting this.

• Like 1