Antarctica, v.3.0., on the Venture

shark b8

So, this is a little tough to write.  You might have noticed that so far, only pretty pictures from a distance, nothing from a landing.  Well.

Somewhere during the ~47 flights we took to get to Buenos Aires, Mrs Sharkbait picked up a particularly nasty cold.   Generous soul that she is, she promptly shared it with me.  In one sense, it was an odd blessing that our 2-day pre-cruise trip to Iguazu was wiped out by that huge storm, closing airports, as I figured it would give us a chance to get back normal before embarkation.

Well, it has now been over a week and we’re both nowhere close to being able to participate in any marginally active touristing, we have yet to do an expedition, landing or otherwise.  I kept thinking I could just “vamp” a little here on this thread and as soon as things improved and we started “venturing” forth, I’d blend in the activities.  It now appears this is not a routine 2-3 day cold thing (covid has been eliminated, btw), so it appears we will not set foot on the Antarctic peninsula this trip.  Still hacking our guts out, and the idea of going out in the frigid air for an hour+ zodiac cruise while our lungs are already highly stressed, seems like asking for trouble.  

So, I don’t want to just write boring place-filler non-experience-based things, each of which would likely devolve into wailing about the unfairness of it all - I don't want to write it, and you good folks surely don't want to read it.

So, I’m going to call a halt to this thread.  IF things change and South Georgia and/or the Falklands look like they could be experienced the right way, I’ll come back here, and we’ll see what kind of salvaging can be done to the whole thread.  Sorry.  Thank you.

@shark b8

I hope you and your good wife feel better soon. Nasty coughs and feeling short of breath are exhausting I know so take it easy and let the crew take care of you. My Father used to swear a hot toddy with brandy would help clear a nasty cough. Not sure it worked but it tasted good.🙂

@shark b8

Wow sorry to hear that.  I was really enjoying your posts so thanks for the great info.  Fingers crossed that I see this post alive again with your rapid recovery!  

You have inspired me though, I will be on the Seabourn Pursuit next week for a 12 night Antarctica cruise and am planning on starting a "Live" post as well....

• Like 2

Hope you are starting to feel better. So sorry this had to happen you, especially coming from so far. You have made me rethink how we should handle our travel to our cruise on Jan 31. We have recently gotten more lax about being cautious regarding Covid and all the other viruses cropping up after the holidays. We will wear masks for the entire journey and hope for the best. Sad to say but what happened to you is a wake-up call and could happen to any of us. I hope you get to enjoy the second half of your cruise and get to land on So. Georgia . Happy New Year to you and your wife

Ok.  So.  We are back amongst The Living, although not by much.  This thing wiped out essentially ⅔ of the whole trip, I’ve now been off the ship a grand total of twice, and today is the last landing day before we return to Ushuaia.  The Travel Gods, in all their capriciousness, certainly decided upon and executed their will on this one - almost as bad as how the Baseball Gods treated Dodger fans this last October.  Brutal cold or bronchitis or whatever…since I obtained a medical degree in 2007 (from Arthur the ShamWow! guy on TV, only $79.95), I can fairly confidently diagnose Bubonic Plague as being in there somewhere.

Ah well, no one wants to talk about being sick (nor read about it) so I’ll try to do some catch-up.  Random thoughts and various pix to follow.

I LOVE this ship.  It's like a pint-sized version of the Odyssey-class ladies.  There are a few changes here and there, but nothing overwhelming, the overall design (if not color schemes & decor) is pretty similar.  Suites are same size, gone is the little make-up mirror/desk just outside the bathroom, in its place is storage for the parkas and lifejackets.  There’s now a little desk nearer the veranda, with a mirror above.   From where we are (mid-ship, Deck 6) it has all been whisper quiet, and bouncier seas have seemed pretty tame with the newest stabilization techniques.

Previous Antarctica cruisers will note that the expedition ships are far more designed and geared toward, well, the expeditions.  Boot-cleaning stations, larger storage area near the zodiacs, etc, facilitate the comings and goings.   The Bow Lounge is one small public area that doesn't have a closely-related equivalent on the bigger ships.  It’s smallish, but has several terrific monitors offering weather, sea conditions, navigational stuff, etc.  Also has a small self-serve area for coffee/tea, soft drinks, sm sandwiches and even a couple of flavors of soup.

Food is, I would say, good if not great.  Previous readers might remember my adoration of Indian Market Dinner in the Colonnade on the bigger ships - they did have this a few nights ago.  Less extravagant, more limited offerings, and, I would have to say, the execution didn’t quite live up to previous versions on the bigger ships - and I find that to be a fair generalization of the fare so far.   Not seriously problematic - just somewhat shy of what we all like to think of the Seabourn quality level.  

My fave is Sushi in the Club, 6:00-9:00 each night.   I would think the logistics of having consistently fresh-tasting raw fish on a multi-week cruise would be daunting, and while it probably won’t 100% measure up to your favorite local upscale neighborhood sushi joint in every way, I found it surprisingly good and consistent.   The rolls themselves are kinda boring in my view, but the nigiri and sashimi are tasty, if you like that sort of thing.  Especially good hamachi.

• Like 3

The King Penguins are surely the aristocracy - tall and elegant, a bit of super-model attitude.  But I still like the Gentoos best, I think.  They’re goofy.  I like goofy.  Lots of the lighter-gray chicks right now, too.

IMG_0645.jpeg.53ea6f1087288ee8028e49914d746c2b.jpeg

IMG_0642.jpeg.cf6e107ba820da86c77a4eae2b5f4522.jpeg

• Like 4

The chicks wander around with their mouths open, hoping Mom or Dad will arrive with some bounty from their sea-foraging.  But then after a bit, they just…..flake.

IMG_0649.thumb.jpeg.794daba8be3792b67a5ecbe075f37f79.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So happy to read your updates and to hear you are feeling better. I presume you got to land on So. Georgia. How does it compare with Antarctica. We won’t be stopping there on twelve day cruise. I also love watching the Gentoos on YouTube. They are so funny and lovable. Safe trip home, take care of yourself and thanks for posting.

13 minutes ago, DubDublady said:

I presume you got to land on So. Georgia. How does it compare with Antarctica.

Yes, South Georgia and the Falklands are the only two places where we felt well enough to land.  South Georgia is particularly special, so many penguins and fur seals and elephant seals, all hanging out on the same turf.  I have a special place in my heart for the Antarctic peninsula (even though we couldn’t land this trip) if for no other reason than there’s far more snow, which somehow gives the whole thing more of a sense of authenticity, if you will.  These Antarctic pix are from 6 years ago:

IMG_2198.thumb.jpeg.a1c739d25ab4bd97708a48498be1362f.jpeg

IMG_2250.thumb.jpeg.ae676c295569dc00b7c15ab89982abaa.jpeg

IMG_2285.thumb.jpeg.b2672612e34879b126220c90fb5012aa.jpeg

IMG_2342.thumb.jpeg.be9dbb37dafc2a642ac4ddd5fd13d120.jpeg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

Yes, South Georgia and the Falklands are the only two places where we felt well enough to land.  South Georgia is particularly special, so many penguins and fur seals and elephant seals, all hanging out on the same turf.  I have a special place in my heart for the Antarctic peninsula (even though we couldn’t land this trip) if for no other reason than there’s far more snow, which somehow gives the whole thing more of a sense of authenticity, if you will.  These Antarctic pix are from 6 years ago:

IMG_2198.thumb.jpeg.a1c739d25ab4bd97708a48498be1362f.jpeg

IMG_2250.thumb.jpeg.ae676c295569dc00b7c15ab89982abaa.jpeg

IMG_2285.thumb.jpeg.b2672612e34879b126220c90fb5012aa.jpeg

IMG_2342.thumb.jpeg.be9dbb37dafc2a642ac4ddd5fd13d120.jpeg

OMG!!! I can only dream of getting photos like this. That first one is magnificent. I want it enlarged above my fireplace. You are a great photographer . 

9 hours ago, DubDublady said:

OMG!!! I can only dream of getting photos like this. …You are a great photographer . 

Well, thanks & you’re very kind, but I would suggest that in the Antarctic environment, the pictures pretty much take themselves.  I only have an iPhone.  Virtually everywhere you look, there’s a beautiful canvas.  It would take a particularly *poor* photographer to come away with bad pictures!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Takes me back to our first Seabourn cruise, on the Spirit (!) in 2013.  I always thought this was very clever, and wondered why it seemed to disappear (until now). Fun to come back from dinner and find a little gremlin wearing your glasses.  

IMG_0483.jpeg.903a304af8284461aa4a38bf47037286.jpeg