Getaway Main Dining Rooms Question

tmal2

I was just scrolling through the dining options for our February cruise on Getaway and noticed there were options to select date and times for dinners in Savor, Taste and Tropicana main dining rooms. I was under the assumption that we could go to the main dining rooms at any time we wanted and not have to make reservations. 

Can someone please clarify if reservations need to be made for the main dining rooms or if we can do walk in at our convenience.

I'm only asking about the main dining rooms. Not speciality dining.

Thanks.

You don’t need them. I sometimes make them if have something planned for an evening - eliminates the “where should we eat tonight” conversation. With reservations you sometimes wait 15 minutes before they have a table; without reservations you sometimes wait a quarter hour before they have a table. Usually they seat you almost immediately……

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

🤣It's funny because it is true.  I make MDR reservations just for the fun.😏

Dude, you boost the fun factor on these boards by at least triple.

😁

I wonder if some of the crew grab vacations when they hear you are sailing their ship. There's a limit on how much fun a person can take.    🤪

• Haha 1

Just got off the getaway. they offer times in those restaurants at 530 and 830 if i remember correctly. We did make reservations for tropicana for later in the cruise after the first night on the ship there was a line a mile long of those who made reservations on the first night who wanted to dine in tropicana including a long line of solo cruisers. We liked the live music in tropicana and would eat there if we didnt have specialty dining booked and were sailing not in port. The reservation option for complimentary dining did surprise us as ncl touts freestyle dining BUT yes you can make a reservation in the three complimentary dining venues. IF you show up around 7 you usually can get seated. 

• Thanks 1

Never made a reservation for an MDR, never had much of a wait. If you have a large party (say over 6) then it might be quicker but I have showed up with 6 and again, not a long wait. Grab a cocktail at Mixx bar, which is in between Taste and Savor and by the time you get it, your name will be called. If one restaurant is busy, they will sometimes direct you to another MDR which isn't. All the same menus. 

• Like 1