Departing ship early

molemaui

We are currently scheduled to sail from Lisbon on another cruise line this coming spring. We found a Princess crossing that stops in Lisbon three days before the completion of the crossing. We were hoping to book, enjoy the crossing, get off early in Lisbon and get on our next cruise the following day. (the crossing is completed 3 days after our next cruise departs so disembarking in Lisbon is our only option to do both) 

Upon checking with Princess (I called several times and got different reasons why you couldn't do this) I was told we couldn't do it because it "was against code".

We've gotten off early on Oceania, Azamara and Silversea so I know it is possible. 

Can anyone shed some light on whether to pursue this or at least explain what "code" prohibits this. 

Something that seemed so simple has gotten quite complicated.

Thank you!

There are multiple examples of Princess allowing passengers to disembark early. Le Havre in Europe and Victoria in Canada are two common examples. Not sure why they are balking at Lisbon.

That said, if you do get permission to disembark early, be forewarned that no port is guaranteed and Lisbon could be skipped for various reasons (weather, dockworker strikes, mechanical problems, civil unrest, etc) so you should have a Plan B and probably a Plan C in case this occurs.

• Like 1

I believe there is a form to request this. I know I've seen other threads here on CC where people have disembarked early. Hopefully someone with actual experience will see your query and provide solid information.

1 hour ago, Tonye60 said:

It's a route deviation request, you can only request it once you have the cruise booked, it won't be an issue in Europe, unless the ship doesn't dock there for a multitude of resons

That's the problem. I cannot book because we're already in final payment phase. My next cruise departs on the 23rd and there crossing doesn't end until the 26th. We need to be on the next cruise on the 23rd. If I were to book and they say no, we're out the cruise fare. 

I've gotten so many different answers and reasons WHY NOT from Princess that it appears nobody who answers the phones really knows the answer. Our travel agent is getting the same run around. 

Seems simple-looks like we'll just fly to Lisbon and forget the Princess crossing. 

We've done this many times on other cruise lines as recently as last May when we got off ship prior to reaching Athens (been there done that-wanted to spend more time on island) 

First you have to book the cruise. Then you have to request and receive approval from Princess to depart at Lisbon. Princess has to check it out, determine what and if immigration and customs officials will be able to process you in Lisbon. If you do receive written approval you will still be charged for the entire voyage. No refund for days missed. You will also require any immigration visas that may be required to enter Portugal.

4 hours ago, skynight said:

First you have to book the cruise. Then you have to request and receive approval from Princess to depart at Lisbon. Princess has to check it out, determine what and if immigration and customs officials will be able to process you in Lisbon. If you do receive written approval you will still be charged for the entire voyage. No refund for days missed. You will also require any immigration visas that may be required to enter Portugal.

Really not concerned about any refund for missed days. Currently no visa is required but I do understand the need to go through the immigration process. On previous trips where we departed early, we were already in Europe and immigration did not seem to be an issue. It is possible immigration could take place in the Azores or Maderia as these are ports prior to the arrival in Lisbon. 

It seems crazy to book the cruise without assurances we can leave. I could understand if we were not already in the final payment stage but any booking will need to be paid for usually within 24-48 hours. 

Seems like it's time to book flights. BC getting more expensive by the minute!

Thanks, appreciate the input.