New 5th Vista Ship???

JustinF4068

From what i heard from a couple of reliable sources on my recent cruise on the new ms Noordam I heard that Holland is releasing a new 5th Vista Class ship in a couple of years... anyone know anything besides that??:confused:

The Vista Series of ships is complete. The four directions of the compass are represented with Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and now the beautiful new Noordam.

The next HAL ship is to be 'Signature Class'. One is now on order but I think there are plans for a second. That ship is scheduled to come out in about 2 1/2 years.

HAL is slated for one new ship for certain, with an option for a second. While not technically a "Vista", most believe these two new ships are not of a brand new design, but a slightly enlarged Vista Class. Basically have a look at Cunard's new QUEEN VICTORIA and this is probably what you can expect with the "Signature" class of ships (tailored to HAL of course). Essentially a Vista at heart, but with modifications and a tad bit larger. From the outside it will be very hard to tell the difference. Carnival Corp. is definitely getting it's moneys worth out of this core design.

Below is the part of the press release from Carnival Corp.

Ernie

Source: Carnival Corp. Website

* A 2,044-passenger ship which will be the largest ever constructed for North American premium operator Holland America Line. With an estimated all-in cost of $450 million, the 86,000-ton Panamax vessel will be built at Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard. The ship is expected to enter service in summer 2008. There is also an option for a sister ship scheduled to debut in spring 2010.

HAL is slated for one new ship for certain, with an option for a second. While not technically a "Vista", most believe these two new ships are not of a brand new design, but a slightly enlarged Vista Class. Basically have a look at Cunard's new QUEEN VICTORIA and this is probably what you can expect with the "Signature" class of ships (tailored to HAL of course). Essentially a Vista at heart, but with modifications and a tad bit larger. From the outside it will be very hard to tell the difference. Carnival Corp. is definitely getting it's moneys worth out of this core design.

Below is the part of the press release from Carnival Corp.

Ernie

Source: Carnival Corp. Website

* A 2,044-passenger ship which will be the largest ever constructed for North American premium operator Holland America Line. With an estimated all-in cost of $450 million, the 86,000-ton Panamax vessel will be built at Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard. The ship is expected to enter service in summer 2008. There is also an option for a sister ship scheduled to debut in spring 2010.

Um, nope - Signatures will not be like Cunard's QV. QV doesn't have the Glass elevators, nor the Lower Promenade/Promenade Deck layout of the Vistas.

I'm told by reliable sources on the Noordam inaugural that the differences between Noordam and the Signature Class are very basic:

--A rooftop grill room similar to that of P&O's Arcadia atop the midship overlooking the Lido accessible by the midship glass elevators.

--A partial deck of staterooms will be where the Crow's Nest is on Observation Deck: this is where the "Glass Stateroom" will be located, facing forward with add'l verandah staterooms facing the side. The Crow's Nest will be up on what is currently the open area on Sports Deck with a new open deck atop that.

--A better arrangement for the Vista (Main) Lounge.

I was told that the ships would be no longer than the Vistas, but counting space for the 47 add'l staterooms, I'd be surprised if they weren't @ 20 feet longer to accomodate the add'l staterooms and make more room in the Dining Room for more seating and the Vista Lounge for a better layout...

Originally, there were to be 5 Vistas - but Vista #4 was sent to Cunard to be the original QV - then was given to P&O as Arcadia.

Um, nope - Signatures will not be like Cunard's QV. QV doesn't have the Glass elevators, nor the Lower Promenade/Promenade Deck layout of the Vistas.

I'm told by reliable sources on the Noordam inaugural that the differences between Noordam and the Signature Class are very basic:

--A rooftop grill room similar to that of P&O's Arcadia atop the midship overlooking the Lido accessible by the midship glass elevators.

--A partial deck of staterooms will be where the Crow's Nest is on Observation Deck: this is where the "Glass Stateroom" will be located, facing forward with add'l verandah staterooms facing the side. The Crow's Nest will be up on what is currently the open area on Sports Deck with a new open deck atop that.

I was told that the ships would be no longer than the Vistas, but counting space for the 47 add'l staterooms, I'd be surprised if they weren't @ 20 feet longer to accomodate the add'l staterooms and make more room in the Dining Room for more seating and the Vista Lounge for a better layout...

This is what I meant when I said "tailored to HAL". It's really no big deal if glass elevators are retained and the lounge layouts are different. This should be fully expected as one ship is Cunard and one is HAL. I'm talking about the basic ship design ... meaning the hull, propulsion, speed, stability, interior stairwells, galley positioning, crew quarters, etc. These are the core features that will most likely be the same on the new HAL ship when compared to QV. These are also the areas of the ship that are most difficult (and expensive) to change. The passenger capacities of QV and the new HAL ship are very similar, and I think you will find the dimensions are as well (if not exactly the same). QV is slightly longer than the current Vista Class, by roughly 15 feet. Basically the hull of CARNIVAL SPIRIT is being used, which one might call a very close step sister to the Vista Class.

My point is that I don't expect the "Signature Class" to be a new class at all, just a tweaked Vista/Spirit Class. Kind of like the S-Class to the VOLENDAM/ZAANDAM. Same basic design, but upgraded with relatively minor changes. Of course time will, but my reliable sources tell me this will probably pan out.

Ernie

With the four main points of the Dutch Compass named now.. Noordam (North) being christened and the Bell being Rung first and Poured Upon on by SailSevenSeas, One of the Best Lady Mariners, leaving the NYC Passenger Ship Terminal on President General George Washington's Birthday 02/22/2006 AD that is the final VISTA Class Ship in the series as they have said.:D

A Naval Holiday was yesterday too in America here. The holiday started at the USNA in Annapolis, Md .

It is called the burrning of the socks. Yes boats shoes can be worn without them.:eek:

Ernie--

I guess my meaning was that the Signatures will be much more like their Vista sisters than Cunard's QV, as the GA for public rooms will be much the same, unlike QV's which is a fair bit different...

http://www.cunard.com/QueenVictoria/default.asp?Active=onboard&sub=deckplans

...but as you said, relatively minor changes from the Vistas - we shouldn't expect and big surprises.

Originally, there were to be 5 Vistas - but Vista #4 was sent to Cunard to be the original QV - then was given to P&O as Arcadia.

Brian, in addition to what you list above, it should be noted that the Explorer's Lounge will be enlarged and will have a full-fledged Bar added to it -- think of something similar to what is in the Pinnacle Bar. Of course, all the Vista upgrades that are on the Noordam will be included in the Signatures, and there are also supposed to be some other minor features that will tweak the Vista design slightly. But, in effect, the Signature Class will be an upgraded version of the Vistas.

What I'm curious to find out is if they're going to outfit the Signatures for long-range cruising by the addition of features like the self-service laundry. Part of me doubts it because (1) HAL likes the revenue and, (2) the Signatures are intended to be the "cream of the fleet" and, as such, will be on the premium runs. I can see them in Europe and North America, but it might be a while before they go far beyond.

Greg:

I am amazed at the information you come up with and I have found that your information is usually accurate. Do you have a pipeline to someplace in your pulpit?

Of course, he does. :)

His information about HAL is pretty reliable, too.

Paul Noble

I am amazed at the information you come up with *** I have found that your information is usually accurate. Do you have a pipeline to someplace in your pulpit?

Thanks, John. On things spiritual the pipeline is the same as yours ... the means of grace (prayer, the sacraments, the sacramentals, etc.)

As for information from HAL ... well, in this case my source is two fold: Henk Minsink *** the HAL Press release dealing with the new signature ship. Here's an excerpt from that release: (http://www.holl***america.com/media/newsRelease.do?fileName=/200601/09_corporate_01.xml):

The ships of the Signature Class will evolve from the line’s Vista Class ships *** further define *** exp*** the Holl*** America Line premium br*** with new concepts such as an innovative topside 144-seat restaurant *** 50-seat lounge surrounded by panoramic views overlooking the ocean expanse *** the Lido pool. Other additions are an Explorer’s Lounge Bar, a premium wine-tasting lounge, an elegant luxury jewelry boutique, new atrium bar area, enhanced *** reconfigured show lounge, *** a new photographic *** imaging center.

MOST interesting. In addition to the upgrade to the Explorer's Lounge it looks like they're adding a bar at the TOP of the Atrium -- probably at the base of the new "topside 144-seat resturant." I would imagine that they'll also put the premium wine-tasting lounge up here too. I wonder were the luxury jewelry boutique will go?

Greg Neal's information is ALWAYS ACCURATE and right on. My question was how does he get the information.

Not always, but thanks anyway! :D

More than 50% of my information comes from HAL's own press releases. I also have a few contacts within HAL, and I ask questions when I'm aboard ship. :)

MOST interesting. In addition to the upgrade to the Explorer's Lounge it looks like they're adding a bar at the TOP of the Atrium -- probably at the base of the new "topside 144-seat resturant." I would imagine that they'll also put the premium wine-tasting lounge up here too. I wonder were the luxury jewelry boutique will go?

Greg--

I think they are referring to the Pinnacle Wine bar similar to what we had on Noordam.

...and I'd bet the "Luxury Jewlery Boutique" will be another version of the existing giftshops - tho since they rearranged/consolidated the Ocean Bar, I wouldn't be surprised if they put a boutique or something on the other side of the Atrium on Deck 3...

I asked when I was on the Noordam. He will be coming to the Noordam pretty soon. When he left the Oosterdam after my cruise in January I think he and his wife went on a leave rotation. I'm not certain about that, however.

Archived