7600 passengers? Would Celebrity build a ship like that?

Bently57

On 12/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, Loracpin2 said:

We took a family vacation this past summer on the Oasis. Double occupancy is 5400. But this ship sailed with triple and quads for a total of 6800. With the exception of enjoying every minute with spent with our Children and Grandchidren ........ it was by far the worst cruising experience we have ever had!!!!!!

As mentioned, we tried Oasis. in a regular balc cabin..Our adult dtr and son in law coincidentally booked same week..She like us did not love it...he liked the active stuff..flo rider, zip..etc His camera was stolen at a game show, never recovered.

Even with required  pre- made res  there were long lines,  the divers were amateurish, skating was like local mall show...and there were crowds everywhere. Outside deck had  very little shade.

Husb and I ditched the huge mdr early on..slow service of un-memorable food. No real wine service. Even the specialty dining was not great.. Had a dress up big birthday dinner in CHOPS for my husb... Waiter was untrained and tried to sell us  a wine aerator just as the cake was brought out..Ugh! 

The deli everyone touted for sandwiches was revolting... smelled like wet dog from mops  and table cleaning rags used.

The onboard shopping was like local mall..mostly low end.

Best parts were the on water Cabana rental with service and upgraded lunch at Labadee,   adult  huge "hot  tub" area aft and best of all...DIsembarking !

Sad that this company now controls X 100%...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Just for starters:

MSC Euribia and Virtuosa

Aida Cosma and Nova

P&O Arvia and Iona

all with maximum passenger numbers well over 6000.

We think the Best ships for Europe are Celeb M class..just the right size and ambiance!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

As mentioned, we tried Oasis. in a regular balc cabin..Our adult dtr and son in law coincidentally booked same week..She like us did not love it...he liked the active stuff..flo rider, zip..etc His camera was stolen at a game show, never recovered.

Even with required  pre- made res  there were long lines,  the divers were amateurish, skating was like local mall show...and there were crowds everywhere. Outside deck had  very little shade.

Husb and I ditched the huge mdr early on..slow service of un-memorable food. No real wine service. Even the specialty dining was not great.. Had a dress up big birthday dinner in CHOPS for my husb... Waiter was untrained and tried to sell us  a wine aerator just as the cake was brought out..Ugh! 

The deli everyone touted for sandwiches was revolting... smelled like wet dog from mops  and table cleaning rags used.

The onboard shopping was like local mall..mostly low end.

Best parts were the on water Cabana rental with service and upgraded lunch at Labadee,   adult  huge "hot  tub" area aft and best of all...DIsembarking !

Sad that this company now controls X 100%...

We've only cruised Oasis once, and it was her inaugural season, so 15 years ago. Other than the whole aerator thing, we had none of that. The neighborhood concept on Oasis split people up and at the time the ship never felt crowded. Maybe it's changed; it's been a long time. 

RCG, the holding company that owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Silversea Cruises, bought Celebrity in 1997...

30 minutes ago, markeb said:

RCG, the holding company that owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Silversea Cruises, bought Celebrity in 1997...

I've commented on this on many posts and will once again. We were on a Med cruise on the Galaxy in 1997. During the last formal dinner, the Maitre'd told us that RCI just purchased Celebrity. We all looked at each other and agreed...this can't be good!!!! 

Edited by Loracpin2
addition
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I've commented on this on many posts and will once again. We were on a Med cruise on the Galaxy in 1997. During the last formal dinner, the Maitre'd told us that RCI just purchased Celebrity. We all looked at each other and agreed...this can't be good!!!! 

And I've commented on this on many posts and will once again. If Celebrity was on the market in 1997, even quietly, and hadn't been bought by RCCL, would you have preferred Carnival had bought them?

40 minutes ago, markeb said:

And I've commented on this on many posts and will once again. If Celebrity was on the market in 1997, even quietly, and hadn't been bought by RCCL, would you have preferred Carnival had bought them?

at this point...differences are  being obliterated...not there yet but......

Well, during the “great cruise line merger” a few years back, NCL became the parent company of Regent. Neither line lost any of its identity. Post merger, Regent even added some important things like unlimited laundry service. NCL remained a budget line with ship of ever increasing size. We have to remember that Jaguar motor company is now owned by Tata (which builds those three wheel taxis used in India). There is no similarity of these products. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2023 at 1:44 PM, markeb said:

Couldn't help but notice on your cruise history that the last time you cruised RCCL was July 2015 and have been sailing Celebrity since 2017!! 

Edited by Loracpin2
addition

On 12/28/2023 at 3:43 PM, Bently57 said:

Is this the new direction for cruise ships or do you think Celebrity will stick to the current number of passengers?

My Magic 8 Ball says, "cannot predict now". 🎱

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, during the “great cruise line merger” a few years back, NCL became the parent company of Regent. Neither line lost any of its identity. Post merger, Regent even added some important things like unlimited laundry service. NCL remained a budget line with ship of ever increasing size. We have to remember that Jaguar motor company is now owned by Tata (which builds those three wheel taxis used in India). There is no similarity of these products. 

There are now many similarites with Royal and Celeb..

Started slowly with  the X CEO replacement.... LLP who was Royal trained,  and the era of Hoppen and Goop ..

Now a rapid advance of Modern Mediocrity!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Couldn't help but notice on your cruise history that the last time you cruised RCCL was July 2015 and have been sailing Celebrity since 2017!! 

Not sure why that matters. We went from an RCG product that we enjoyed to another RCG product that we believed we'd enjoy, and have. Not because we had a problem with the Royal Caribbean product, but we were older and had changed. We've slowed down cruising and don't cruise twice a year or more, so we've stuck with something we enjoyed. There hasn't been a reason to look at another line. Going forward probably, and that would include RCI.

On 12/31/2023 at 8:06 AM, NMTraveller said:

If you look at the history of Celebrity they keep on adding more staterooms to every new class of ship.  M class was the best.  S class 2nd best and E class is a monstrosity. Celebrity has been Royalized.  It could easily be a mega ship next.

I completely agree.  Have been predicting the merger of the two for a couple years now.  Royal Celebrity Cruiseline.  Has a nice ring to it.  

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I completely agree.  Have been predicting the merger of the two for a couple years now.  Royal Celebrity Cruiseline.  Has a nice ring to it.  

Royalebrity. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1