Distilled Water

stanatl

1 minute ago, stanatl said:

I use a CPAP and would like to confirm that Oceania provides distilled water upon request on their cruises. If so,MIS there a form I need to fill out prior to our cruise?   Thanks.  Stan

Contact their Special Needs department.

Chances would be very good that they'd have it for you onboard no matter what, but we strongly advise that any such special requests/needs be arranged in advance, so things go smoothly.

GC

Do contact Special Needs. They will arrange the distilled water and an extension cord depending on the ship. 

These items may not be in your cabin when you board but just ask your steward or butler and everything will be provided.

Agree with everyone above - have never had a problem as long as they know via Special Needs - you get sent a form to fill out (most will not apply to the CPAP). My CPAP doesn’t need distilled water, but it’s always been there for me when I embark. 

2 hours ago, gingerspike said:

My husband was recently prescribed a CPAP and will also need distilled water in the cabin. Does anyone have the contact info for Special Needs? I'm not finding it on the web site. Or is this something my TA should handle for us?

thanks,

Kelly

Plan 'A': Via TA.

Plan 'B': If no TA, via SpecialServices@oceaniacruises.com

Plan 'C': Once aboard, your room steward/butler can make it right.

PS: 20 years on CPAP tells me that if you don't let the water chamber run dry and dump the leftover water each day when refilling, two weeks on ship tap water isn't going to hurt the device.

Edited by Snaefell3
Forgot the "cruises" part of email addy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

PS: 20 years on CPAP tells me that if you don't let the water chamber run dry and dump the leftover water each day when refilling, two weeks on ship tap water isn't going to hurt the device.

This is very true - before I got my travel cpap machine, I used my home one with a humidifier and frequently had to use tap water and the occasional blot isn’t going to hurt things - ship water is very ph neutral anyway - but they will give you a big gallon jug of distilled 🙂

I would also reccommend a travel cpap - even if just for ease of transportation - one of my best travel purchases 🙂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

For anything like this (even "just" distilled water), I would strongly recommend NOT going through "someone else", even a travel agent if that isn't necessary.  And given there is a Special Needs group, it is not necessary to rely upon someone else to contact the cruise line.

The more people in the chain of communication, the more chance of a misunderstanding.  Sometimes such communications can be almost absurd ("HOW could they think THAT was what we meant!??"), but those misunderstandings do happen.

GC

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I will reach out via email to the Special Services group.

I did make this request to my TA a few weeks ago, but as usual, she has not responded. I find it takes 3 tries to get her to answer. I was going to give her until the new year but now will do it myself. Needless to say, this is our first and last cruise with her.

It's good to know that the tap water will work in a pinch. I will be sure to request the extension cord, too.

Hi All,

I agree with @ToxM that my travel cpap was one of the best purchases I ever made.  It takes so little space, and requires no water.

When we met our room steward on our December 5-17, 2023 cruise on Insignia, he came into the room after I had installed my CPAP hose hanger, but not as yet the CPAP machine.  I could see him looking over at the bed, and later found out he was thinking...O God, how did I miss that big thing when I cleaned, and what the heck is it?  I explained to him that I suspend the CPAP hose from it so that I can roll over in bed without strangling myself, and he was relieved.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers.

On 12/29/2023 at 10:13 AM, Snaefell3 said:

Agree with the dumping the water out. If you get a slight crust inside the humidifier chamber (this will NOT affect the machine) just put a little vinegar  the chamber & wipe the inside with a paper towel.(let the paper towel get good & wet) Then rinse thoroughly with hot water & dy again with dry paper towel.My spouse uses the CPAP & I'm going by what he does if he can't get distilled water.

On 12/31/2023 at 2:00 AM, gingerspike said:

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I will reach out via email to the Special Services group.

I did make this request to my TA a few weeks ago, but as usual, she has not responded. I find it takes 3 tries to get her to answer. I was going to give her until the new year but now will do it myself. Needless to say, this is our first and last cruise with her.

It's good to know that the tap water will work in a pinch. I will be sure to request the extension cord, too.

You need a new TA.

I tried 2 different travel cpap machines, but at my pressure of 15, both were pretty noisy. My husband told me he would gladly carry my full size Resmed airsense 10, as the others kept him awake. I keep waiting for a quiet machine to come out, but even the sales rep at cpap.com told me the travel cpap machines are too noisy for those using pressures above 8. 
    My TA notifies Oceania of the need for distilled water and the cabin steward kept refilling the bottle. He gave me an extension cord while on the Marina- the outlet was on my husband's side of the bed on Marina. Vista has outlets everywhere, so no extension cord is needed. 

13 minutes ago, Benita said:

I tried 2 different travel cpap machines, but at my pressure of 15, both were pretty noisy. My husband told me he would gladly carry my full size Resmed airsense 10, as the others kept him awake. I keep waiting for a quiet machine to come out, but even the sales rep at cpap.com told me the travel cpap machines are too noisy for those using pressures above 8. 
    My TA notifies Oceania of the need for distilled water and the cabin steward kept refilling the bottle. He gave me an extension cord while on the Marina- the outlet was on my husband's side of the bed on Marina. Vista has outlets everywhere, so no extension cord is needed. 

I have my pressure at around 15 as well - the air mini is noisy with the provided hose, but you can get an adaptor so you can use a normal hose - that with an added hose cover makes it about the same noise level as my Airsense 10. The adaptor was about £10 from amazon or ebay. 

But a husband who is happy to carry your Airsense 10 is also a great win! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benita said:

Keith uses the Resmed 10 as well. His is set at 11 but is able to make adjustments if he wishes. It's pretty quiet. He's not been interested in getting a travel CPAP. He feels it's money not well spent.

16 hours ago, rbtan said:

Keith uses the Resmed 10 as well. His is set at 11 but is able to make adjustments if he wishes. It's pretty quiet. He's not been interested in getting a travel CPAP. He feels it's money not well spent.

I wish I had tested the AirMini before I bought it. It is so noisy it is of no use. Even with the hose adapter and hose muffler the noise keeps me awake. I will just chalk up the money lost to not doing my due diligence and carry my AirSense from now on.

1 hour ago, gbldcl said:

I wish I had tested the AirMini before I bought it. It is so noisy it is of no use. Even with the hose adapter and hose muffler the noise keeps me awake. I will just chalk up the money lost to not doing my due diligence and carry my AirSense from now on.

I didn’t notice much difference with the muffler, but the adapter and a good hose cover made a world of difference for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Our travel agent has put in a request for distilled water.  I expect they have a lot of requests and it shouldn't be a problem.  Last year on a Tauck 'Ponant' cruise the ship doctor made the distilled water and it was delivered in glass bottles to our room every day or two as needed.