Cell Phones

llarsen

13 hours ago, hcat said:

Not planning a full live from Ascent

(1/28) but would like to share a few pics and thoughts that may be of interest..re dining, art collection, shows  and the  new Metallic Deck Party!  Hope no Creaking!

Wish me luck...I try my best!

Happy New Year!

We are booked on the Ascent in September! Looking forward to seeing your pics and thoughts. 

Have a great cruise! 

On 12/31/2023 at 7:43 PM, llarsen said:

I do have a Verizon international plan that I have used when we have traveled to Italy. It's $10 for a 24/hr period (can't remember how much data) but it was enough for me to check in with my daughter at home and send some photos 🙂

Thanks!

Ok, so something to keep in mind. That plan ONLY works while you are connected to land cell towers. So you'll need to put your phone in airplane mode before the ship pulls out of port each day.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 5:11 PM, Charles4515 said:

Just a heads up if have your phone in Airplane mode with wifi on and buy a wifi package you can do WiFi calling where you won't get charged for calls. Wifi calling does need to be enabled ahead of time. 

I have a question if anyone can answer…. I have Verizon as a Cell phone provider and when I enable WiFi calling on my iPhone a window appears to enter an address for 911 emergency services and then to change the address if switching locations….. Not sure what to do seeing as we are out to sea? Does anyone else see this prompt? Thanks 

13 minutes ago, Mrdell said:

I have a question if anyone can answer…. I have Verizon as a Cell phone provider and when I enable WiFi calling on my iPhone a window appears to enter an address for 911 emergency services and then to change the address if switching locations….. Not sure what to do seeing as we are out to sea? Does anyone else see this prompt? Thanks 

Just put in your home address. Don’t use 911 on the ship though. It will probably ring your local dispatch at home…

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Mrdell said:

That's the physical location that gets passed to 911 if you had an emergency. Typically that would be your home address. If this is your first time setting up WiFi calling you will run into some issues since the initial setup needs access to the Verizon network. 

Edited by paulh84

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

Just put in your home address. Don’t use 911 on the ship though. It will probably ring your local dispatch at home…

Thank you so much!!

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

That's the physical location that gets passed to 911 if you had an emergency. Typically that would be your home address. If this is your first time setting up WiFi calling you will run into some issues since the initial setup needs access to the Verizon network. 

Thank you so Much!!

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mrdell said:

Your home address should be entered for WiFi calling. Verizon’s network can determine you are not at home. In your case out to sea if you call 911. You should enable it WiFi calling at home to not run into issues. 

Edited by Charles4515

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Your home address should be entered for WiFi calling. Verizon’s network can determine you are not at home. In your case out to sea if you call 911. You should enable it WiFi calling at home. 

Thank you for this info... I just went through all the settings to enable WiFi calling at home and entered my home address. Everything was accepted and looks like I'm good to go! Thank You!!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mrdell said:

Thank you for this info... I just went through all the settings to enable WiFi calling at home and entered my home address. Everything was accepted and looks like I'm good to go! Thank You!!

When connected to a wifi network either at home or anywhere else your provider will be listed as "Verizon WiFi" and any calls you make or receive will be via wifi, not your cellular connection.

I know most of us have unlimited voice calling time on cellular now but I still find using WiFi calling at home transparent so leave it enabled all the time.

At times one the ship I will notice that my carrier doesn't indicate the WiFi version.  I presume wifi bandwidth is not suitable to support calling.  At times if I reboot my phone it will re-enable.

In addition to wifi calling you will be able to send/receive SMS texts as well.  iMessage and WhatsApp texts will work with just wifi (don't need WiFi Calling).

Edited by wrk2cruise

32 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

When connected to a wifi network either at home or anywhere else your provider will be listed as "Verizon WiFi" and any calls you make or receive will be via wifi, not your cellular connection.

I know most of us have unlimited voice calling time on cellular now but I still find using WiFi calling at home transparent so leave it enabled all the time.

At times one the ship I will notice that my carrier doesn't indicate the WiFi version.  I presume wifi bandwidth is not suitable to support calling.  At times if I reboot my phone it will re-enable.

In addition to wifi calling you will be able to send/receive SMS texts as well.  iMessage and WhatsApp texts will work with just wifi (don't need WiFi Calling).

Sounds good! I will be sailing on Beyond which I believe has pretty good service because of Starlink so hopefully all should be fairly smooth. 😊

All Celebrity ships have Starlink now.  Calling generally works well but there are some geographic areas that seem to be problematic.  We had no problems on TA but had some issues on ABC sailing for a day or so.   I've always had premium wifi, I believe most say WiFi calling doesn't work with the basic included in the AI package.