Cell Phones

llarsen

I am wondering if it is still true in this day, that cell phones can connect to the ships tower and rack up unwanted roaming charges?

We always put our phone in Airplane mode and turn on wifi when we board a ship if we purchased an internet package. If not, we just turn them off and put them away.

I'm just wondering if that is still true about cell phones connecting to the ships tower and getting a surprise bill from your carrier if you forget to turn them off, or put in airplane mode?

Thanks!

Yes. You can disable roaming as well, which should prevent the phone from roaming and accumulating any charges, but airplane mode shuts off the cellular service and is the preferred method. 

Before the thousand "I just turn it off and put it in my safe" replies, I assume when someone asks this question they actually want to use their phone, but don't want roaming charges!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, llarsen said:

I am wondering if it is still true in this day, that cell phones can connect to the ships tower and rack up unwanted roaming charges?

We always put our phone in Airplane mode and turn on wifi when we board a ship if we purchased an internet package. If not, we just turn them off and put them away.

I'm just wondering if that is still true about cell phones connecting to the ships tower and getting a surprise bill from your carrier if you forget to turn them off, or put in airplane mode?

Thanks!

Yes, still true

• Like 1

Even worse - last year I bought a "cruise package" from my carrier, ATT.  IIRC, it was $10/day but only was charged if you actually used your phone for a call or text when connected to Cellular At Sea. .   Lo and behold, when I got home I found plenty of extra charges on my bill.  Why?  My phone occasionally connected to island cell service while in port.

This year I'm going the airplane mode route and use WhatsApp on Wifi.  

• Like 2

I almost always put my phone on airplane mode immediately after getting aboard and firing up my Internet with WiFi calling turned on.   I talk to one of my daughters daily and allows me to stay in contact.  

Recently I forgot to put on Airplane mode but awhile later got an alert from T-Mobile that I should put it on airplane mode.     I did not incur any additional charges but glad I was warned before I did.

From the ships wifi I can send emails, place and receive phone calls and get text messages.  

Since we have T-Mobile with free internet in 198 countries I turn off Airplane mode when in port and use it mostly for mapping but also to find Iain using Find My when we get separated.

• Like 3

Yes. If you need to use your phone on the ship and/or in port, it’s best to decide how to do that ahead of time. Ship only, can use wifi. In port only you can use international day pass. Using both will cost quite a bit. Roaming is outrageous, don’t do that. But it’s important to know what you plan to use; if you want to use an international plan you have to turn on roaming to connect. If you don’t want to constantly worry about roaming; use wifi

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

how should we set the phone, to just use it to take photos..and then post a few?   

maybe just use the tablet to avoid any issues!

usually its OFF in the safe..

Best way is to turn on Airplane Mode.   It should leave WiFi on and you can then logo onto the ships WiFi.  If not you can turn on WiFi but leave in airplane mode.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

how should we set the phone, to just use it to take photos..and then post a few?   

maybe just use the tablet to avoid any issues!

usually its OFF in the safe..

Airplane mode. Wi-Fi on. That lets you use the Celebrity app if you choose to, even without a Wi-Fi package and avoids any cellular use.

Posting pictures is either going to require using data minutes from E/E+ or a Wi-Fi package.

• Like 1

I use a pre-paid service Visible which doesn't have international service.   I have bought travel esim to be able to have data while off the ship.  They have ones that work globally, regionally or per country.

I recently used the Europe regional one which is $13 for 30 days and 3 GB and works in most European countries.  www.airalo.com

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hcat said:

Try this before the cruise...

1. Place the phone in Airplane mode.
  2. Turn on WiFi
  3. Turn on Bluetooth.

With the later versions of both the iOS and Android Operating systems, you may get prompted to remember the WiFi and Bluetooth. From that point onward, WiFi and Bluetooth should be enabled whenever you turn on Airplane mode. 

5 hours ago, doghog said:

Once onboard I turn my phone off and put in the stateroom safe. No need for it while on the cruise. 

Obligatory reply stating that I use my phone during my cruise as an audiobook player, music player, video player, camera, video recorder, check in for my return flight near the end of my cruise, etc. Of course, since this my personal device, I make sure it remains personal by utilizing ear buds or headphones. 

Edited by Z'Loth
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Just a heads up if have your phone in Airplane mode with wifi on and buy a wifi package you can do WiFi calling where you won't get charged for calls. Wifi calling does need to be enabled ahead of time. 

Thank you, I didn't know that. Good info, thanks!

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Yes. If you need to use your phone on the ship and/or in port, it’s best to decide how to do that ahead of time. Ship only, can use wifi. In port only you can use international day pass. Using both will cost quite a bit. Roaming is outrageous, don’t do that. But it’s important to know what you plan to use; if you want to use an international plan you have to turn on roaming to connect. If you don’t want to constantly worry about roaming; use wifi

I do have a Verizon international plan that I have used when we have traveled to Italy. It's $10 for a 24/hr period (can't remember how much data) but it was enough for me to check in with my daughter at home and send some photos 🙂

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I use a pre-paid service Visible which doesn't have international service.   I have bought travel esim to be able to have data while off the ship.  They have ones that work globally, regionally or per country.

I recently used the Europe regional one which is $13 for 30 days and 3 GB and works in most European countries.  www.airalo.com

Thank you! Nice to know...:-)

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Very good info and some new ideas too.

I know many people put their phones away on vacation to relax and that is understandable.

But we have children and grandchildren at home that we like to stay in touch with, and they enjoy us sending a few pics of our day.

To each his own. 

I just needed to know if my thinking (that phones can connect to the ship cell tower) was outdated, and apparently it's not.

Thanks for clarifying 🙂

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Read between the lines. 🙃

Looks like we just have to laugh at each other. I missed the sarcasm and so did at least one other person…

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, markeb said:

Looks like we just have to laugh at each other. I missed the sarcasm and so did at least one other person…

I figured it was a joke only because I have their posts before but really people should use emoji when doing that.  🙃

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, markeb said:

Airplane mode. Wi-Fi on. That lets you use the Celebrity app if you choose to, even without a Wi-Fi package and avoids any cellular use.

Posting pictures is either going to require using data minutes from E/E+ or a Wi-Fi package.

Thank you and also Jim for your replies.  . Vt Cruiser (Marilyn)  used to help me get my photos posted...Miss her and her wisdom  in so many ways...She knew EDGE better than anyone!

We do get the E+ minutes ,  but never use them all,  and we do not plan on making tel calls  in ports..We can e mail a few times with dtr...just to check in.

Not planning a full live from Ascent

(1/28) but would like to share a few pics and thoughts that may be of interest..re dining, art collection, shows  and the  new Metallic Deck Party!  Hope no Creaking!

Wish me luck...I try my best!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Thank you and also Jim for your replies.  . Vt Cruiser (Marilyn)  used to help me get my photos posted...Miss her and her wisdom  in so many ways...She knew EDGE better than anyone!

Never had the pleasure of meeting her. Miss her around here. Her love and excitement for Edge when so many bemoaned it was amazing. 

On 12/31/2023 at 10:42 AM, llarsen said:

Thanks!

you are correct.

• Like 1