NCL Spirit Electrical Outlet Questions

Rick&Jeannie

We've never sailed on the Spirit but have it booked for April 2024 (Oceanview w/picture window).  We have done mostly Princess cruises in the past, but we have done 2 on newer NCL ships.

I did some searching but most of the info I came up with is really old...I know that the Spirit supposedly underwent an extensive overhaul a couple years back.  Most ships that we have sailed on have had a "hidden" outlet located behind one of the beds.  I have always brought along various adapters in order to use that outlet for a CPAP.  I *really* don't like stringing an extension cord across the floor of the cabin!  Also...I saw some posts that the system was 240 volt instead of 220v.

Does anybody know if the Spirit has this same arrangement (outlet behind a bed)?  If so, what type of outlet is it (US, European, something else)?  Has that 240 volt system been changed out with the refit? (Assuming that I saw accurate info regarding 240 volts!)

All of the Spirit videos I've watched show the same electrical outlet set up as shown in above video except for penthouse suite that has european plug outlets on either side of the bed.  The regular charging setup has two european outlets, one US outlet and 2 USB ports.  I love that there are also USB ports on either side of the bed.

There are a bazillion balconies available on the April 22 2024 cruise but cord would still have to be run across the floor.  We unplug cord from outlet in the morning and stick cord under bed and then just replug at night when CPAP is needed.

Edited by kjquilts

From a cybersecurity perspective you should NEVER plug a device into a USB port that you do not own. Not in a hotel, not in a mall, not in an airport, not on a cruise ship. Always use your electric power cord. 

Edited by BirdTravels

I think maybe I haven't made clear exactly what I'm asking.  On most other lines that I have sailed on, I can actually pull the bed away from the wall for about 1 foot and find the wall outlet that (most often) is used to plug in the bedside lamp.  I am asking whether or not these "hidden" (i.e. *behind the bed) outlets exist on the Spirit.  These outlets are *perfect* for use with a CPAP without the need for an extension cord.  I'm fully aware of what is available at the desk...

Okay, we’ve been on the Spirit twice post-drydock refurbishment … there are no power outlets beside (or behind) the beds in either balcony or oceanview rooms … so my simple 15ft extension cord comes in handy. 

3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Okay, we’ve been on the Spirit twice post-drydock refurbishment … there are no power outlets beside (or behind) the beds in either balcony or oceanview rooms … so my simple 15ft extension cord comes in handy. 

Ok, thanks for the answer! I guess it's time to pack the long extension cord!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:05 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I think maybe I haven't made clear exactly what I'm asking.  On most other lines that I have sailed on, I can actually pull the bed away from the wall for about 1 foot and find the wall outlet that (most often) is used to plug in the bedside lamp.  I am asking whether or not these "hidden" (i.e. *behind the bed) outlets exist on the Spirit.  These outlets are *perfect* for use with a CPAP without the need for an extension cord.  I'm fully aware of what is available at the desk...

Never seen an outlet behind the bed on any NCL ship I've been on - but also can't say I've always looked.  Nor have I seen posts from people commenting on finding a hidden outlet. The bedside lamps are hardwired, not plugged in.

So bring your extension cord... I think some people bring magnetic hooks and a really long cord so they can attach the cord to the ceiling.

26 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Never seen an outlet behind the bed on any NCL ship I've been on - but also can't say I've always looked.  Nor have I seen posts from people commenting on finding a hidden outlet. The bedside lamps are hardwired, not plugged in.  So bring your extension cord...

FYI to those looking for this info -

Exception is the new'ish Prima (and, most likely the Viva) - the bedside lamps do plug into a 220V walled outlet - you can tap it for 220V power with the correct adapter (95% certain) - the EU round 2-pins plug, commonly used in nearly all NCL ship cabins.  Disconnect the lamp and use it as the wall outlet for CPAP.  

The lamp has a metal bracket that hooked to the back wall, just above that outlet - probably need to "lift" the nightstand/table up slightly to release & free it, if it's firmly "attached".  There is an outlet on each side of the bed - this is from the balcony cabin, oceanviews and insides are configured the same way and should be a fairly simple one.  If in doubt, speak to and ask for help from one's room steward or attendant ... and/or the ship's Access Officer(s) - kindly observe best practices with electrical and fire safety, do not overload the circuits.  Good luck 

PXL_20231127_172811047.thumb.jpg.0a64e4a0df7498198b1c6ef2269303fa.jpg

One of our BIL does use CPAP and I was scouted for a hidden outlet in advance for him, just in case.  Joy and other *Away class ships do NOT have this or similar setup, AFAIK.