Just off Silhouette 12 day Holiday Cruise, a thought to share...

We cruise the ultimate Carribean cruise every Holiday season. The cruises are relaxing, and we enjoy talking to all of the friends (old and new) that tend to sail this itinerary each year.

While sitting at the Martini bar I had a thought. It became apparent about midway through the cruise that the bar staff had not made a single "bar napkin rose" for any of the patrons. This has been a common practice on the small ships at the Martini Bar over the years. I will admit I have never seen one made on the big ships and of course I did not expect to see one.

I asked the bar manager about it in casual conversation. He said that those days are long gone with the current staff "right sizing". The staff is way too busy slinging drinks and cleaning. I again explained that it was not a big deal and shared that it was just a noticed absence. 

He said that if he had the two bodies he used to have on the team that it would have never gone by the wayside.

Just a sign of the little things that fall by the wayside as Celebrity adjusts to customer demand I suppose.

• Like 1

I have also notice the obvious reduction in staff in many areas.  I don't believe it has anything to do with "customer demand", just blatant cost reductions.   Having worked in the computer industry in the 80's and 90's I'm very familiar with this corporate short sighted behavior to boost shareholder price.  I guess it's working as RCL share price has been over $120.

In my experience every time we went through these cost saving staff reductions, the middle management would be all but eliminated.  I'm not seeing this on Celebrity.  Bar tenders and Bar servers are cut way back but on Summit (smallest ship) there were still 4 assistant bar managers.  You still see many many1-2 strip officers eating in the buffet that you never see passenger facing.

• Like 2

This will hurt Celebrity eventually.  The good staff will quit or move to another cruiseline.  For me, Celebrity has always been about the wonderful staff.  Also, their current practice of charging solos $2-3000 more for a cabin than they charge a couple to occupy the same space is asinine.  I don't plan to fall for it.  I can take my vacation dollars elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Another place I noticed....I'm up early into the fitness center everyday....before our last cruise in December they always had trainers around....this time, I was there 18 days and never saw a one and they never filled the water jugs....very vacant of any employees of any kind...Equinox....1130/1219

Edited by shavdog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

We cruise the ultimate Carribean cruise every Holiday season. The cruises are relaxing, and we enjoy talking to all of the friends (old and new) that tend to sail this itinerary each year.

While sitting at the Martini bar I had a thought. It became apparent about midway through the cruise that the bar staff had not made a single "bar napkin rose" for any of the patrons. This has been a common practice on the small ships at the Martini Bar over the years. I will admit I have never seen one made on the big ships and of course I did not expect to see one.

I asked the bar manager about it in casual conversation. He said that those days are long gone with the current staff "right sizing". The staff is way too busy slinging drinks and cleaning. I again explained that it was not a big deal and shared that it was just a noticed absence. 

He said that if he had the two bodies he used to have on the team that it would have never gone by the wayside.

Just a sign of the little things that fall by the wayside as Celebrity adjusts to customer demand I suppose.

That's disappointing.  I'm traveling on Silhouette in just over a week - I'd love to hear anything else you'd like to share about the experience.  I had friends on that cruise who are fairly particular about bar service, meals, entertainment, etc... they had a fantastic time and thought the bar service and drinks were particularly good. 

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

@DSJ28 I think we might be on the same cruise. 1/15-1/25/24?

Forgive me if we have chatted about this before, I have a good memory, it's just short.

Hi Mike - I wish! I have a short 4 day 1/11 to 1/15 coming up on the Silhouette.  I'm looking forward to it all the same.  My upcoming trips are in my signature.  I hope you have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Celebrity ships are understaffed.  Forget the niceties.  Just getting a cup of coffee in Blu can be a chore…

Hmm... i've never experienced this on a Celebrity cruise. Though - I've only been in AQ once. I guess I'll have to pack my patience.