Checked bags w/Air tags/tiles. Inside? and report when check-in

We are coming from VCR and have a few coming/going  flights on our TA next April '24. Need to know if they are okay for airlines and on board. No experience but want to be educated for future cruises.

4 hours ago, 2bthere said:

We are coming from VCR and have a few coming/going  flights on our TA next April '24. Need to know if they are okay for airlines and on board. No experience but want to be educated for future cruises.

Totally okay.

LOTS of people discussing using them.  Just a word of caution - the Airtag will require connecting to an iOS device WITH INTERNET ACCESS in order to report location to your phone WITH INTERNET ACCESS to show the current location.  Also note that GPS may be difficult to receive within the ship so the location may be reported as a land station (possibly even Miami since the ship's internet may be flagged to the home office).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2bthere said:

They are fine, but you have to understand how they work. An AirTag pigs off near by Apple devices and the Apple devices use their location (if the iPhone can get an gps signal) and internet connection to report the location. You won’t get “go to deck 10 room 23”. You may get that your bags are somewhere near the ship. 

There is limited value for the purposes you want. 

The airtags i had in my bags helped us find our backs on the other side of the ship and about 14 rooms down from ours.  I put them in the suitcase not the outside and also used a tile tracker.  Usually the airtag as better for longer distances but the time did tell us the bag was on the plane and was a little better at finding the bags in the hallway.

To me you are really missing out not putting a tracker in your bags for the cost it is well worth it.

45 minutes ago, fredflint said:

The airtags i had in my bags helped us find our backs on the other side of the ship and about 14 rooms down from ours.  I put them in the suitcase not the outside and also used a tile tracker.  Usually the airtag as better for longer distances but the time did tell us the bag was on the plane and was a little better at finding the bags in the hallway.

To me you are really missing out not putting a tracker in your bags for the cost it is well worth it.

True.  You can also track your bags before you get on the ship since you can track your bags.  Same  thing once you leave the ship.

Samsung Galaxy users will be pleased to know the Galaxy Smart Tag 2 is Samsung's answer to the Air Tag and work just as well... cost less too!  They're available through several retailers.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, azappraiser said:

Samsung Galaxy users will be pleased to know the Galaxy Smart Tag 2 is Samsung's answer to the Air Tag and work just as well... cost less too!  They're available through several retailers.

The only benefit to using a Samsung in the Android world compared to a Pixel.  If I could get a tracker that works with my Pixel I might consider one.

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They are fine, but you have to understand how they work. An AirTag pigs off near by Apple devices and the Apple devices use their location (if the iPhone can get an gps signal) and internet connection to report the location. You won’t get “go to deck 10 room 23”. You may get that your bags are somewhere near the ship. 

There is limited value for the purposes you want. 

Perhaps limited vis-a-vis the ship, but very valid re air travel.

2 hours ago, azappraiser said:

I've just purchased a couple of Tiles to augment the AirTags we already have.  DW uses iPhone...I use Samsung S22.  Before the Tile purchase we always had to depend on her phone only to track.  Now we have "backup".

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've just purchased a couple of Tiles to augment the AirTags we already have.  DW uses iPhone...I use Samsung S22.  Before the Tile purchase we always had to depend on her phone only to track.  Now we have "backup".

Same here & sure helped in last our last holiday when luggage didn't make the connecting flight Montreal to New York. Afforded us an option to pick up at storage warehouse before the cruise ship left(: after confirming with the airlines.

Yes we are the same I have a Samsung S23 and  Wife has an iPhone so one of each goes into each bag, we can find out our bags made the plain and where they are most of the time it seems.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Perhaps limited vis-a-vis the ship, but very valid re air travel.

Also really helpful in case someone accidentally picks up your bag at the cruise terminal.  

We travelled with 3 kids so it was pretty chaotic disembarking and my husband used the air tags to confirm that all the luggage was in the car with us before we left the cruise port (if you are less overwhelmed you can do this visually but its good to have a backup)

Edited by kitkat343

We placed AirTags in our luggage flying from the US to Rome for a cruise last summer.  My husband doubted the value until I was able to tell him on the return home there was no need for us to wait for luggage in customs before our connecting flight.  Our bags showed still in Rome an hour after we departed.  They were on the flight after ours.