Applying for shareholder onboard credit.

EM35

Afternoon everyone, I have just applied for my shareholder benefit for my upcoming Iona cruise in February and have been informed that they are trialing a new way to apply for this benefit using the 'stocksperk' app. I wondered if anyone else had applied for shareholder benefit recently and being asked to trial this new way? How did you find it?

Posted (edited)

It’s been in use in the US brands for about 3 months.

It allows realtime verification of your holding by connecting to your broker account. They only get to see that you hold X Carnival shares. They don’t get to see anything else.

It does allow them to check that you still hold the shares at/near to sailing date as access remains live until revoked.

However, it’s a US app, and a lot of UK brokers aren’t signed up due to data protection differences. Likewise doesn’t work with certain ISAs held with banks. In this case, you just upload a pdf/image of your proof like you currently email.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

It allows realtime verification of your holding by connecting to your broker account. They only get to see that you hold X Carnival shares. They don’t get to see anything else.

It does allow them to check that you still hold the shares at/near to sailing date as access remains live until revoked.

However, it’s a US app, and a lot of UK brokers aren’t signed up due to data protection differences. Likewise doesn’t work with certain ISAs held with banks. In this case, you just upload a pdf/image of your proof like you currently email.

What about those of us who ask our brokers to send the application, should we continue with this until our broker advises us that they are allowing the app to check our data?

• Like 1

I've just used it and was a bit narked as I hate being pushed into using apps and I've had my shares for so long that I hold a certificate rather than use a broker.  I decided to give it a go and then go back with my feedback with all guns blazing when it went wrong but I have to admit it worked like a dream.  The first question it asked was the name of my broker so I just typed in shareholder certificate and uploaded a photo of it.  This was accepted within hours and I then claimed for my upcoming cruise, again accepted within a very short period of time over the New Year holiday.

Not been on said cruise yet to see whether credit really has been applied but no complaints so far.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What about those of us who ask our brokers to send the application, should we continue with this until our broker advises us that they are allowing the app to check our data?

I’d keep going the same method until broker can’t do it for you.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pippa04 said:

I've just used it and was a bit narked as I hate being pushed into using apps and I've had my shares for so long that I hold a certificate rather than use a broker.  I decided to give it a go and then go back with my feedback with all guns blazing when it went wrong but I have to admit it worked like a dream.  The first question it asked was the name of my broker so I just typed in shareholder certificate and uploaded a photo of it.  This was accepted within hours and I then claimed for my upcoming cruise, again accepted within a very short period of time over the New Year holiday.

Not been on said cruise yet to see whether credit really has been applied but no complaints so far.

Thank you for your feedback. I agree with what you have said in that it wasn't too difficult too do but like you there is no link to my broker so I just uploaded the picture of my share proof, which I had already sent to the original email address. Now I just have to wait to receive the confirmation it has been accepted.

Therefore, although it wasn't' difficult it seems unnecessary until the app can work with UK/European brokers as most people as this makes up the majority of P&O customers. I suppose this is a cost cutting measure as it means Carnival don't have to have someone checking and confirming onboard credit. 

I also wonder what people who don't have smartphones will do. In the long run it says there will be a webpage but this is not being developed until the end of the year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Not cost cutting… it’s try to stop people who buy shares, claim credit and then dispose of their shares way before their cruise.

A good point - I forget about things like this; based on the price I paid for my shares I won't be disposing of them anytime soon!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

What happens if you do not have a broker account and have a paper share certificate with your shares held through Equiniti.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

What happens if you do not have a broker account and have a paper share certificate with your shares held through Equiniti.

My shares are held by Equiniti too, however I have downloaded the app and added a photo file of my share certificate, it is currently being processed so I will see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Not cost cutting… it’s try to stop people who buy shares, claim credit and then dispose of their shares way before their cruise.

How far in advance can you apply for OBC through the app? as you could still claim OBC and sell the shares.

56 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

See my post above.

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

What is the time period between you applying for OBC and your cruise please?

I am going at the beginning of February so have left it a bit later than I normally would. 

I think the point is if it is linked to a live account, as in the US, they can check the shares are live and haven't been sold. At the moment, as I can only upload a screenshot, there is no difference to the previous way of emailing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EM35 said:

Afternoon everyone, I have just applied for my shareholder benefit for my upcoming Iona cruise in February and have been informed that they are trialing a new way to apply for this benefit using the 'stocksperk' app. I wondered if anyone else had applied for shareholder benefit recently and being asked to trial this new way? How did you find it?

I applied beginning December for a cruise in March but still haven't received any confirmation. Can I ask who did you actually apply to? Thanks!

Sheila127 If it's a UK operated cruise you email: shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com with the required details. There are plenty of posts that detail the information you need to supply and the time "window" ahead of the cruise within which the application can be sent/processed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EM35 said:

I am going at the beginning of February so have left it a bit later than I normally would. 

I think the point is if it is linked to a live account, as in the US, they can check the shares are live and haven't been sold. At the moment, as I can only upload a screenshot, there is no difference to the previous way of emailing. 

Could be, in the past you could only apply for shareholder OBC once you had paid the balance approx 3 months before the cruise, then during covid it seemed to be anything goes and you could request the OBC for several cruises for the entire year which some of us did. For me using the system of claiming my OBC couldn't have been simpler as I just emailed my account ref number and the cruise booking and that was it. I am waiting for my shareperks account to be approved and will see how it pans out, it does look fairly straightforward but am not sure the old system was broke. On the Princess forum it seems mixed feelings with some saying it is fine and some railing against it, albeit maybe not actually having used it, they are mainly US and Canada so have used it for a while.

I notice the original poster mentions a stocksperk app, then others have mentioned shareperks.  The security on my iPad really doesn’t approve of the only link I can find for shareperks, which of course may mean nothing at all.

Please be careful when entering financial information to unknown companies, particularly if there is confusion as to which company you should be giving personal financial information to (as I’m sure you all are)

20 minutes ago, Mike Senior said:

Sheila127 If it's a UK operated cruise you email: shareholderbenefits@carnivalukgroup.com with the required details. There are plenty of posts that detail the information you need to supply and the time "window" ahead of the cruise within which the application can be sent/processed. 

Thank you Mike, I sent my email to shareholderbenefits Australia! Oops! Will redirect!

1 hour ago, crompton21 said:

I notice the original poster mentions a stocksperk app, then others have mentioned shareperks.  The security on my iPad really doesn’t approve of the only link I can find for shareperks, which of course may mean nothing at all.

Please be careful when entering financial information to unknown companies, particularly if there is confusion as to which company you should be giving personal financial information to (as I’m sure you all are)

Thank you for the warning, I have definitely being directed to Stockperk as you can see from the screenshot of the email I was sent (I realise I have added an extra s in my original message). I agree about entering financial information - I was perplexed when they wanted to know my annual income. But as I can currently only upload a screenshot of my share proof, with everything important blacked out, I am hoping it is safe at this stage. Now I just have to wait and see what happens when it is approved.  

SP.jpeg

1 hour ago, EM35 said:

Thank you for the warning, I have definitely being directed to Stockperk as you can see from the screenshot of the email I was sent (I realise I have added an extra s in my original message). I agree about entering financial information - I was perplexed when they wanted to know my annual income. But as I can currently only upload a screenshot of my share proof, with everything important blacked out, I am hoping it is safe at this stage. Now I just have to wait and see what happens when it is approved.  

SP.jpeg

I've just done this for a Cunard cuise and I skipped the income, phone number bit. Waiting to see if it gets approved!