$52,000 in vouchers; Viking won't let me spend them the way I want 😡

ekkc10753

Long story short, I have slightly over $52,000 in vouchers from Viking. I have them due to cruise cancellations by Viking due to Covid or cruises cancelled by me upon the death of my husband.

Sort of the lemonade from all those lemons, right?

so I want to use those vouchers to book two cabins, one for my sister & her husband and one for me.

I'll be leaving a good bit on the table because of Viking's "use it or lose it" rules and the cruise I chose for us is around $10,000 pp (plus my single supplement) So it comes out to around $40,000, leaving $12,000 on the table. I was willing to do that. 

But Viking say NO, split the vouchers between 2 people, all others must pay cash! 

Which means I get $26,000 voucher and may use my voucher (or cash) to pay for my no longer existant husband ( 'The Single Supplement')

My sister also gets a $26,000 voucher, but MAY NOT use it to pay for her flesh and blood husband

AND all voucher value not redeemed BEFORE EMBARKATION is lost! ...... That'll be a lot!!!

These vouchers represent real cash that Viking has held since Covid times;

think I should be able to use them within the company the way any sane person would imagine.

I don't think I was being unreasonable, but Viking said NO DICE, THESE ARE OUR RULES (today?)

Am I the assh*ole here?

• Like 2

My widowed sister was able to substitute me for her late husband on their planned cruise and apply “his “ voucher towards her fare on a future cruise. I paid/am paying my own share to travel with her. Vouchers do have an expiration date ( must book future cruise by). I assume if funds were originally for 2 travelers then they can only be applied to 2 travelers when rebooking. 
Upgrade your cabin. Purchase Viking Air and upgrade your cabin class. Book a Viking pre/post extension.  I believe all of these options can utilize more of your voucher value.  Not sure about pre paying for premium shore excursions , spa treatments or Silver Spirits beverage package?
My condolences on your loss. It’s very kind of you to share your vouchers with your sister!  Good luck optimizing their value; I’m sure your husband would want you to treat yourself to some splurges!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know the rules, but what if you book your cabin for you and your sister's husband as your cabin mate and your sister as the single? Where people sleep isn't of concern to Viking. Don't know if that would work, but just an idea. I am very sorry for your loss. I hope it works out for you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ekkc10753 said:

Long story short, I have slightly over $52,000 in vouchers from Viking. I have them due to cruise cancellations by Viking due to Covid or cruises cancelled by me upon the death of my husband.

Sort of the lemonade from all those lemons, right?

so I want to use those vouchers to book two cabins, one for my sister & her husband and one for me.

I'll be leaving a good bit on the table because of Viking's "use it or lose it" rules and the cruise I chose for us is around $10,000 pp (plus my single supplement) So it comes out to around $40,000, leaving $12,000 on the table. I was willing to do that. 

But Viking say NO, split the vouchers between 2 people, all others must pay cash! 

Which means I get $26,000 voucher and may use my voucher (or cash) to pay for my no longer existant husband ( 'The Single Supplement')

My sister also gets a $26,000 voucher, but MAY NOT use it to pay for her flesh and blood husband

AND all voucher value not redeemed BEFORE EMBARKATION is lost! ...... That'll be a lot!!!

These vouchers represent real cash that Viking has held since Covid times;

think I should be able to use them within the company the way any sane person would imagine.

I don't think I was being unreasonable, but Viking said NO DICE, THESE ARE OUR RULES (today?)

Am I the assh*ole here?

When Viking cancelled cruises due to COVID, pax were provided an offer of a full refund of the cruise fare (cash) or Future Cruise Vouchers covering all payments to Viking, which initially were provide a 125% premium, which was later reduced to 110%. The initial vouchers also had a clause that if unused after 2-years, Viking would refund the actual cash paid (not the inflated 125% offer). 

FCV's also came with some rather onerous Terms & Conditions. They were also issued to the named passenger(s) on the reservation, with 1 FCV issued per person, per cruise. The terms and conditions changed over time, but with the cruises Viking cancelled due to COVID, pax always had the option to take a cash refund of the cruise fare.

On the COVID cancelled cruise, you should have received the offer of cash, or a FCV in each of your name and your husband's name for 125/110% of everything paid to Viking. The cruise line clearly wanted pax to accept the FCV, but it came with Terms & Conditions, which frankly favoured the cruise line.

If you cancelled another cruise due to the passing of your husband, you should have had a number of options, depending on whether you had the Viking Cancel for any reason guarantee. You always had the option of taking a cash refund, less the cancellation penalty, which could then be claimed against your travel insurance policy.

You did invest in travel insurance? We cancelled a World Cruise valued at over $100,000 and Viking tried everything possible to encourage us to accept FCV's. On completing a risk assessment, the risks were excessive, so we took the cash refund and paid Viking the cancellation fee ($2,000), writing off the cost of the insurance premiums, as we claimed the cancellation fees against the insurance.

When you cancelled the 2nd cruise, since you again declined the cash refund, you should have received 2 new FCV's in your and your husband's names. Some FCV's were transferable, so in accordance with the Terms & Conditions, you can transfer the FCV to another person, which Viking has permitted. That person, must now use the FCV in accordance with the Terms & Conditions.

Upon booking a cabin, you can use the voucher to cover your fare and any single supplement, but another person in the cabin must pay cash, as they are not named on the voucher. This will also apply to your sister. She can use the voucher to pay her fare, but any additional person in the cabin must pay cash, as they are not named on the voucher. This was readily available in the T&C before you accepted the vouchers.

Your situation is one of many unfortunate experiences with pax not adequately researching the T&C before accepting FCV's, instead of a cash refund. Prior to accepting any FCV, you had to be an informed consumer and research the Terms & Conditions. Once you accepted the FCV, the Terms & Conditions clearly stated they had ZERO cash value and must be used in accordance with the Terms & Conditions.

While not all terms & conditions were printed on the FCV's, they were readily available by request. Our TA requested the full T&C, so I could make an informed decision. If you didn't use a TA, then you are required to ask the right questions prior to making a significant financial decision.

At no time have pax been able to use any FCV as they see fit, they have always been used in accordance with the Terms & Conditions, which you agreed to by accepting the vouchers.

I also note that upon request, for large value vouchers, Viking will issue multiple vouchers of lower value. For our $100,00 voucher, Viking would have issued them in multiple $10,000 values, so you could have received multiple lower value vouchers to book multiple lower cost cruises.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

OP, sorry to hear about your situation. Did you use a credit card or external-to-Viking cruise insurance? If so, there may be provisions for you to claim the loss once the unused vouchers expire.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:31 PM, ekkc10753 said:

Long story short, I have slightly over $52,000 in vouchers from Viking. I have them due to cruise cancellations by Viking due to Covid or cruises cancelled by me upon the death of my husband….

These vouchers represent real cash that Viking has held since Covid times….

So sorry for your loss. I hate to read stories like this. Based on Andy’s post above, what you were told is legally correct.  I just wish someone would have some compassion and work with you on a win-win resolution. A fair ending will make you a customer for life!

I would email tellus@viking.com. They do have some sympathetic souls. I believe one will get back to you. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear your predicament with the Viking vouchers. I think many people didn't realize the limitations/exclusions when they accepted vouchers instead of cash refund when Covid cancelled most cruises. I also accepted significant amount of vouchers and thought I was doing the right thing to support the cruise industry. I know many feel that the extra 25% was a good deal but honestly the price increases and limitations on use of the vouchers cancelled out any deal when cruising resumed. Viking offers a good product and I have finally used up my vouchers but have learned just take the cash refund to control your own funds. Suggestions to upgrade your cabin sound good but that just means the person you are sharing cabin with has to pay increased fares for  that cabin too. Hope a compromise is possible but wouldn't expect it. 

• Like 2

I’ve finally been able to sign back in.
Thank you for all your support and helpful suggestions. I’ve followed up on them all, so far crickets chirping from Viking.

I’m currently on the Viking World Journey from LA to London. Live TV is kaput and has been since we boarded in LA  (so no Iowa caucuses or play-off games)  Viking is “working on it” but we’re a week into the cruise and leaving American waters with no resolution.

Several washing machines and dryers on each deck are out of order and were reported by the passengers boarding in Florida. Leaving the land of Home Depot and Lowe’s today so getting them fixed seems unlikely before our next port in 5 days in French Polynesia 

So, bottom line, I don’t know what’s going on here. The voucher issue is not going to change it would seem.

But things here on this journey seem to be slipping a bit ☹️ and that’s worrisome given the political situation in several of our future ports

14 hours ago, ekkc10753 said:

I’ve finally been able to sign back in.
Thank you for all your support and helpful suggestions. I’ve followed up on them all, so far crickets chirping from Viking.

I’m currently on the Viking World Journey from LA to London. Live TV is kaput and has been since we boarded in LA  (so no Iowa caucuses or play-off games)  Viking is “working on it” but we’re a week into the cruise and leaving American waters with no resolution.

Several washing machines and dryers on each deck are out of order and were reported by the passengers boarding in Florida. Leaving the land of Home Depot and Lowe’s today so getting them fixed seems unlikely before our next port in 5 days in French Polynesia 

So, bottom line, I don’t know what’s going on here. The voucher issue is not going to change it would seem.

But things here on this journey seem to be slipping a bit ☹️ and that’s worrisome given the political situation in several of our future ports

I was on the Star in November and we didn’t have live tv for most of the 33 days. It would appear for a few days then disappear again. Supposed to be a satellite issue. Most people didn’t care, we had news on our phones if the real world needed to intrude for a bit.

• Like 1

I am following both WC currently on Viking forum and three blogs. Everyone is having a great time

or just going with the flow. . They did mention the dryer on 5 floor will have replacement parts when they get  to NZ. they also mention the lose of live tv  when in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. 

What a great adventure you are on, relax and enjoy. 😍

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1