Has anyone tried the new umbrella rentals at Princess Cays?

Torfamm

I see they are now renting beach umbrellas at Princess Cays which sounds much more appealing than the clamshells to me.

It seems from the description that they are picked up at the stand and are in a bag with a base and can be set up wherever you like. 

Has anyone gotten them? I’m curious about how easy they are to set up and if they are heavy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WisCruiser2 said:

At $35.00, think we'll skip it and just try to find some shade (if there still is some...).

There’s lots of shade, especially is you move back from the water. We’ve never had a problem finding a spot when it’s just the two of us 

• Like 1

We have a fave spot or two that gets the best shade from the existing roof structures on the beach.  Otherwise, I'd be wanting two umbrellas as one doesn't often give enough shade (I want full shade).  That's a hefty price if PCL charges the same amount.  We don't stay all day either.  One umbrella plus a strategic location near a roof structure could do it.  Never wanted a clam shell.

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We have a fave spot or two that gets the best shade from the existing roof structures on the beach.  Otherwise, I'd be wanting two umbrellas as one doesn't often give enough shade (I want full shade).  That's a hefty price if PCL charges the same amount.  We don't stay all day either.  One umbrella plus a strategic location near a roof structure could do it.  Never wanted a clam shell.

Yes, they are $34.95 on Princess as well. My only question is for anyone has used them. I wonder how heavy they are and if they are easy to set up.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I wonder how heavy they are and if they are easy to set up.

All the times we have been there the staff at the rental center has set up the clamshells so I would think that they would haul the umbrellas out to where you wanted and set up the umbrella...it could be a liability issue if the guests did it and got injured while lugging and/or setting up the umbrella...just a thought.

4 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

All the times we have been there the staff at the rental center has set up the clamshells so I would think that they would haul the umbrellas out to where you wanted and set up the umbrella...it could be a liability issue if the guests did it and got injured while lugging and/or setting up the umbrella...just a thought.

That is why I am asking if anyone has rented one. Not sure they have enough staff to follow everyone around till they pick a spot though. The clamshells are all together.

Is the language on the Princess web-site the same as on Carnival?

It says these items are 'included'...  like you would receive them...  but no mention of setup.

I would not want to think that Princess would have a  'you carry it...  you set it up..  and what about 'bring it back?

On our last visit to PC, We booked a cabana...  our favorite location that we had already seen and picked out.  We loved that!  And, it was especially nice since rain came thru that morning.

Just now, Wishing on a star said:

Is the language on the Princess web-site the same as on Carnival?

It says these items are 'included'...  like you would receive them...  but no mention of setup.

I would not want to think that Princess would have a  'you carry it...  you set it up..  and what about 'bring it back?

On our last visit to PC, We booked a cabana...  our favorite location that we had already seen and picked out.  We loved that!  And, it was especially nice since rain came thru that morning.

That is what I am am curious about.  Is it like renting a float or snorkeling equipment, where you pick it up and just go about your day then return it before you leave?  If so, how heavy are they and how easy to set up on the base?

7 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

At $35.00, think we'll skip it and just try to find some shade (if there still is some...).

wow. That's a lot.

MSC charges $15, but there is a lot more natural shade on Ocean Cay than on Princess Cay, so we didn't even need it after prepaying it.

Posted (edited)

Okay,  I looked again at that photo -  which is not a good one!

I see that the umbrella post are already set up for each of those pairs of chairs.  Just no umbrella yet.

Perhaps they set these up in sections...  and then you pick one that is there, first come first served.

We have a similar umbrella.. almost as big,  but thicker nicer fabric.

It is not that heavy.

These look like thin fabric that does not fully block UV?????   More like a big umbrella?

And why did they not buy nicer ones that are the Royal Blue color!!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star